Match Thread
(10-04-2020, 12:34 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:32 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:25 PM)clem4england Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:44 AM)clem4england Wrote: The opposition usually had better players than us under Pulis yet we beat them. Same applies to Sheff Utd, Burnley, Newcastle last season.

The reason is they work hard as a team and defend all over the park.

I appreciate that but we are now trying to play the ‘right’ kind of football and guess what with inferior players, playing an open game we can’t defend and that is inevitable unless we change how we play. The problem wit that is we don’t have the players to play that way.
Do we play the “right way”? Eleven months ago I’d agree but since then I haven’t seen consistent evidence.

One thing is certain: badly organised teams with no backbone don’t succeed.

The right way is to pick up points and always will be. I think currently the squad isn’t good enough to play ‘nice’, ‘good’ the ‘right’ football to get results but equally the squad isn’t capable of doing the ugly stuff. Stuck between a nice and ineffectual place sadly.
Spot on that.

No reason for the scoreline, but soton have got away with too many fouls
(10-04-2020, 12:35 PM)HugeHons Wrote: Teams like us need a defensive midfielder in the mould of Yacob,Scharner,Mulumbu. We haven’t got one.

yep. Conceded 2, could have been 6
(10-04-2020, 11:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:44 AM)clem4england Wrote: The opposition usually had better players than us under Pulis yet we beat them. Same applies to Sheff Utd, Burnley, Newcastle last season.

The reason is they work hard as a team and defend all over the park.

I appreciate that but we are now trying to play the ‘right’ kind of football and guess what with inferior players, playing an open game we can’t defend and that is inevitable unless we change how we play. The problem wit that is we don’t have the players to play that way.
Do we play the “right way”? Eleven months ago I’d agree but since then I haven’t seen consistent evidence.

The right way is to pick up points and always will be. I think currently the squad isn’t good enough to play ‘nice’, ‘good’ the ‘right’ football to get results but equally the squad isn’t capable of doing the ugly stuff. Stuck between a nice and ineffectual place sadly.
Spot on that.

Can't disagree. 

I'd be interested to see us with younger, fitter and more dynamic midfielders in Gallagher, Field and Krov and also what Ivanovic brings to our defence. At present we look painfully short of quality. To have Townsend and O'Shea as full backs in the Prem (backed up by Furlong) doesn't bode well. I like them all as players but they aren't anywhere near the quality we need.
(10-04-2020, 12:29 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:27 PM)scotbaggie Wrote: Our defence sucks. All people want to do is continually say we need strikers, but its the D that kills us

Come on. This is a midfield problem. That goal has come out of territory and possession, two things we don’t have enough of. At all. 

Our central midfield offers fuck all, defensively nor creatively.

Spot on our central midfield has been a problem for nye on 2 seasons and we haven't addressed it, we either need more bodies in there or players who can track close down and put a foot in we are sadly lacking in all those areas.
I know it was at home and in way different circumstances but the disgraceful capitulation to Southampton under Pardew was no worse than this.
(10-04-2020, 12:36 PM)oldun Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 11:51 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I appreciate that but we are now trying to play the ‘right’ kind of football and guess what with inferior players, playing an open game we can’t defend and that is inevitable unless we change how we play. The problem wit that is we don’t have the players to play that way.

Spot on that.

No reason for the scoreline, but soton have got away with too many fouls

Mid table Premier League side showing s bit of nowse. Clever fouls. Unfortunately we don't have thst
Unless we can bring in 4 more decent players were going to struggle to make 20 points
I love Slav as a bloke but I’m quickly losing faith.
Where did the Edwards selection come from today? As others have said bizarre
Gallagher had a full pre season with chelsea yet we deem him not suitable for selection with us but krovinovic is?
(10-04-2020, 12:31 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:29 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:28 PM)keef Wrote: you cannot criticise that last goal it was just class

Apart from the midfield being emptied,, the cross not being stopped and Diangana not tracking no!

Diangana not tracking? Watch it again. He tracked really well.

So well that the attacking player got there before him and scored.  His was just the last mistake and poor play in a move that all defence coaches could use as an example of what not to do.
(10-04-2020, 12:41 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:31 PM)Peachy Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:29 PM)Black Lake Victoria Wrote:
(10-04-2020, 12:28 PM)keef Wrote: you cannot criticise that last goal it was just class

Apart from the midfield being emptied,, the cross not being stopped and Diangana not tracking no!

Diangana not tracking? Watch it again. He tracked really well.

So well that the attacking player got there before him and scored.  His was just the last mistake and poor play in a move that all defence coaches could use as an example of what not to do.

Spot on