Right then fuck it
My only problem with this is if the club feel that 18m for Grant is too much, why didn't we pick up a striker from a European league yesterday where we could probably get better value. Worrying that we seem to have all our eggs in one basket.
We'll see I suppose. If true, not great contingency planning from a technical director - there's a bit to happen yet imo with outgoings etc.
(10-06-2020, 07:48 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: My only problem with this is if the club feel that 18m for Grant is too much, why didn't we pick up a striker from a European league yesterday where we could probably get better value. Worrying that we seem to have all our eggs in one basket.

+1 especially given we scouted Krov and Pereira who were fantastic spots by our scouts. You get better value for money and I can't believe there aren't a few more gems out there. The Croatian market would be the interesting one.
(10-06-2020, 08:01 AM)Peachy Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 07:48 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: My only problem with this is if the club feel that 18m for Grant is too much, why didn't we pick up a striker from a European league yesterday where we could probably get better value. Worrying that we seem to have all our eggs in one basket.

+1

I said that recently.  If we couldn’t have wrapped up grant we should have gone looking elsewhere.
We now find ourselves in a position where championship clubs know we are desperate for a striker. 

They also know we have players we want to offload 

We are now in a weak bartering position.
What I find most bemusing is that we've used only one of our foreign loans. Does anyone know whether it can still be used now or do we keep it in our pocket until January as a bit of insurance?
(10-06-2020, 06:44 AM)clem4england Wrote: Very honourable and a brave decision to make.

Won’t be much comfort when we end up on 18 points and doesn’t explain the utterly bizarre transfer decisions to date.

What decisions Clem?
(10-06-2020, 07:06 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 06:53 AM)Fulham Fallout Wrote: I question if it was the right thing to do to spend most of the budget in Diangana, as skilful as he is. 

Shame the players weren’t as honourable as the club and didn’t take the promotion bonus which could have been used to purchase a player or two. Bearing in mind that next season their salaries will be reduced

Not sure you can blame the players. Those players enabled us to get 3 or 4 years of Sky money probably the best part of 250m

Lots of these jobs work in the community and support the club's local interests.

I look at the squad and think - just a striker please - the rest is ok. If Sheff U and Burnley and even Villa last year can stay up with the squads they had then the manager should be able to do the same - or at least give it a real good go.

We need the manager to earn his corn now. We've seen 4 games and we know what is and isn't working. If he can't see Sawyers is not suited to loping round with Livermore and that playing with your formation 25yds from goal then we've a problem. I think it's about time he started to coach them, make them confident and get them working as hard as a Leeds team. So Diangana strolling back with a Romeu and letting him in should be stamped out. We may have a chance then.
Great paragraph BB.

Slaven is definitely well in credit, but we've had a sharp decline in the performances since just before Lock Down. We've lost our intensity, and it's something that the Manager needs to change, and unfortunately it's the centre midfield area that is really lacking in that respect currently. The comparison to Leeds is a fair one - In the first half of last season, we were better than them, but it's been no contest since.

(10-06-2020, 08:01 AM)Peachy Wrote:

+1 especially given we scouted Krov and Pereira who were fantastic spots by our scouts. You get better value for money and I can't believe there aren't a few more gems out there. The Croatian market would be the interesting one.

Were they spots by our scouting team though Peachy. I thought they were players Slav himself identified?

Let's hope out of 'spite' the seals don't sign him.
Just shows how little I know about the football business, I've always assumed that the buying & selling clubs agreed the transfer fee, I didn't realise that the players agent would determine the fee.
Whatever way you look at it we had a lower budget last year and managed to unearth Gems in Pereira, Diangana, Ajayi and Krov. If we have 12m allocated for Grant but they want 18m then we should've looked located players in Europe so we could at least give it a go at being competitive.