Up to Slaven now
(10-06-2020, 09:55 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:51 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:47 AM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 09:04 AM)Ted Maul Wrote: I can't help but feel we've left ourselves woefully short at the back.

I'm confident we'll score enough goals to keep us up, but we're currently on course to concede around 100.

I'm not confident we will score enough goals to stay up.

Not sure we are creating enough chances from open play or getting enough possession to force dangerous dead ball situations.

Look at our goals so far, 2 great dead ball goals, a solo goal, a catastrophic defensive howler, leaving one goal where you could argue was well worked from open play and even then it wasn't what you would goal a definite chance.

Two games where we failed to score and more importantly didn't really look like scoring.

Sheffield United scored 39 goals and finished 9th last season. Crystal Palace 31 and finished 14th. 

Bournemouth scored more goals than Palace, Newcastle and Brighton and got relegated. This team is capable of 40 goals in this division, defend properly and it's enough to keep you up.

You are right to point this out - but Sheff Utd and Palace last season had a better defence than ours and could get away with not scoring lots of goals.

Mt take from your post was that we could possibly score enough goals to offset our shaky defence.

Against the lesser sides at home we really need to pick a very attacking line-up and go for it, similarly away.

He who dares wins!
If the first few weeks of the PL have taught us anything it’s that no team is unbeatable and it’s much better to go out and have a go at teams rather than trying to shut up shop and Pulis your way to a result.
(10-06-2020, 12:15 PM)Jacobthebaggie Wrote: If getting us up last season wasn't a miracle then why did you all see us as mid table at best at the start of the season? Don't even try to deny that. Hardly anyone tipped us for promotion.

I did!   Wink

(10-07-2020, 11:44 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: And look how much shit they spunked that money on. They sadly got more right this summer.

Early days Birdy.  Traore could be a dud,  Barkley is a sick-note.  Their defence isn't the best. 

Let's see where we are at Crimbo.  Wink

(10-07-2020, 01:53 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 01:52 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 01:08 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(10-06-2020, 11:57 AM)Duffers Wrote: I think we are miles off having the conversation about Slav’s future, but if or when it comes I hope those in charge are thinking “who can do a better job?” before any decision is made. We’ve seen with Pardew and Mel how bad things get when a manager is canned without any actual plan to replace them. I have a horrible feeling if Bilic went we’d just end up with another Pardew-esque has been like Mark Hughes.

Like I say though, we are miles off those sort of discussions.

We are Duffers, but I am concerned about his ability or inability to motivate the players.  The performance at Saints from the first minute was appalling and there was absolutely no intensity or fight.  

Heads went down against Leicester in the first game.   There was a vast improvement against Everton and Chelsea but awful against Saints. 

If he can't motivate the team to put in a shift them we are doomed.  

In  contrast, look at the intensity and way Leeds are performing, it's like they're on drugs!

Bielsa one of the worlds best coaches though. 

Southampton game wasn't due to lack of motivation, it was Slav getting his tactics completely wrong.

Not according to some on here. Overrated apparently...

Who's he managed and what has he has won?
(10-07-2020, 01:26 PM)Ted Maul Wrote:
(10-07-2020, 12:57 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Brighton are the ones to emulate. They have a top class coach in Potter and they're signing exciting young talent from here and abroad under Ashworth. Signing Lamptey from Chelsea was a fantastic bit of business.

When it's that type of club we're supposed to be competing with, it shows we still have a lot of work to do.

We could have gone for Potter when we got relegated, there were a few of us on here saying this. Great coach.

Shame Dowling's spreadsheet doesn't have enough rows for U23 sides.
Not just Potter. Why the fuck we weren't immediately in for a Ashworth return as soon as there was any indication he was on the move I cannot understand.