Match thread
(10-19-2020, 07:54 PM)TartanRug Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:43 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:19 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(10-19-2020, 07:05 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: The ball didn’t stick final third all night. Not always about scoring. 

We had wide men getting muscled out. A target man would have linked them up much better, instead of Pieters whispering nasty things at them while trampling every worry attack into the roaming gay dog advert.

Grant had a half chance early, tough and at an angle but an angle he worked. Krov steered wide and should have done better, it was on a platter. Ivanovic should have scored. Header - could have stayed onside. The scramble with several saves. No chances... what game were you watching???

Never said no chances.

We didn't create many for the striker. I'm far from convinced we'd have done better with someone else there. I get the calling for a target man, I don't actually disagree, Bilic doesn't want one.

We haven’t created chances you said. Ignoring the semantics of what you didn’t say, it ignores my other point in that the ball didn’t stick. With a more physical striker - just one let’s not be greedy - just one of those many clearances, second-balls, stupid floaty crosses into Pope’s manly, caressing grasp - I don’t know why you struggle to picture a slightly different outcome than that of us not retaining possession. 

Chances or not, there was no Plan B other than play around them. It didn’t work. We scored no goals against a side everyone other than us has beaten. 

What do you suggest, more midfield?

Think we've got wires crossed, possibly my fault for not being very clear.

I don't think we'd have done much different, mostly because of Burnley and their dogged determination to not lose tonight. Dyche, like Pulis, does not go on long losing runs, no matter what it takes, they get a point somewhere. We don't have a plan B, it is going to be a problem for us all season, and why I think we may well go down. Yes maybe a Deeney type may have held the ball up for someone to run on to, however all that would have meant is more Burnley players around him, we don't have a plethora of goal scorers around.

Once I saw how Burnley were playing tonight I was sure we'd lose 1-0 or scrape a point. We earned a point and it's good we are saying we probably should have got 3, so I'm not too disheartened. Anyhow, not in the mood to argue with people who, to be fair, I'm probably in agreement with generally, so I'll leave it there.

I'm not sure why we went more direct 2nd half, it just seemed to be playing into Burnley's hands. It seems when we tire we resort to this and unless we have a striker who can hold the ball up there's no point. 

Burnley were safety first for the most part and never left any space at the back, it would have needed something special to break them down
Totally agree with that first paragraph. Poor Robinson spent most of his time gazing as the ball went over his head. I doubt you'll see the ball in the air in a Prem game all season as much as that last 20 minutes.
I’m not in the mood to argue either, and it’s hardly fair to judge Grant after one showing. But there was no one showing!

It was hard to gain any tempo tonight. Especially with so much persistent fouling of 2 or 3 of ours going unpunished. But we weren’t giving any back.

4-5-1 with a new boy up top in a game that was bound to be as physical as that places a lot of onus on the midfield to create chances, or for set pieces to count. We created enough and if not for a great display by Pope, a whisker for Grant and Krov measuring his angles better, it’s a different game.

But fluffing your lines at home - against fallible sides asking to be beaten - is desperate, when you are losing or drawing to everyone else. We know what is going to happen next.

When all is said and done, none of these preferred striker options Slav ‘chose’ (as if it’s fantasy league) is really proven to be prolific at this level.

Secondly, we played a championship striker on his own. When we need goals. Lukakus don’t grow on trees, but the paper needed to pay for them does.
(10-19-2020, 08:39 PM)HawkingsHalfpint Wrote: I’m not in the mood to argue either, and it’s hardly fair to judge Grant after one showing. But there was no one showing!

It was hard to gain any tempo tonight. Especially with so much persistent fouling of 2 or 3 of ours going unpunished. But we weren’t giving any back.

4-5-1 with a new boy up top in a game that was bound to be as physical as that places a lot of onus on the midfield to create chances, or for set pieces to count. We created enough and if not for a great display by Pope, a whisker for Grant and Krov measuring his angles better, it’s a different game.

But fluffing your lines at home - against fallible sides asking to be beaten - is desperate, when you are losing or drawing to everyone else. We know what is going to happen next.

When all is said and done, none of these preferred striker options Slav ‘chose’ (as if it’s fantasy league) is really proven to be prolific at this level.

Secondly, we played a championship striker on his own. When we need goals. Lukakus don’t grow on trees, but the paper needed to pay for them does.

Grant won't be good enough for us this season in this division.