Sir Bobby Charlton
Wow that 66 team must have been jinxed, now Sir Bobby Charlton is the 5th member to be confirmed with Dementia.
Of the ones left they’re all really old, Sir Bobby C is 83, and dementia is prevalent now. My mother in law has been bad with it for years and she never headed a ball.
I met him over 20 years ago at a Dinner. True gent.
(11-01-2020, 07:07 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote: Of the ones left they’re all really old, Sir Bobby C is 83, and dementia is prevalent now. My mother in law has been bad with it for years and she never headed a ball.

Hurst is 78 which I don't consider particularly old these days!

Alan Ball was the biggest shock for me!
Said it before but I'll say it again. Dementia is a cruel disease but I always find it particularly sad when I hear of people who led extraordinary lives getting it.
(11-02-2020, 01:02 AM)chasetownbaggie Wrote: Said it before but I'll say it again. Dementia is a cruel disease but I always find it particularly sad when I hear of people who led extraordinary lives getting it.

Unfortunately Chase, it is cruel, horrid and it has cost me my mother and my mother in law is in care because of it. Strangely, both were exactly the same age, 72, when we noticed them `getting funny`. We found my mom waiting by the bus stop at 11 at night, saying she was going shopping etc.
My worry now, is if it is somehow genetic, I may be the same in 15 years.
Dawn Astle was on the Today programme on R4 this morning (about 8.35 if anyone is interested).
She spoke very well about the risks, the effects and using the modern football (as bad as the old heavy ball apparently, which is surprising).
I had the privilege of taking part in a Bobby Charlton Soccer School during one half-term holiday when I was about 14.

Bobby was actually there and made a bet with me over one of the scoring challenges (I use my weaker foot and get the ball to hit the centre cone in a grid of cones).

I managed to do it, so he did press ups at my feet as his forfeit!

He was so normal and down to earth. A real gentleman. It’s sad to hear the news.