Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Fiorentina player who died aged 31.
Surprised it wasn’t mentioned on here - if it has apologies as I’ve missed it. 

Firstly what a sad story. A young fit man taken so young. But I suppose the main purpose of this post is to comment on how frequent this type of death seems to be coming. 

It amazes me how you can be so physically fit, have so much medical attention (I’m being presumptuous here, but I’d have thought top clubs would perform various medical test throughout the season) yet be struck down without a moments notice. It’s a stark reminder that no one is invincible. 

I almost think to myself ‘what’s the point in trying to live a healthy life’. Not that I’d ever think dining on takeaways, getting smashed every night and getting no exercise is a good idea. But it’s does make you think.
http://www.wbaunofficial.org.uk/showthre...?tid=13517
I’m not a sports scientist so may be totally wrong but I don’t think a lot of footballers or elite athletes in general are living a “healthy lifestyle” - most of them are conditioned to run their body at peak levels for short bursts which is bound to impact normal functioning.

Think there’s a difference between leading a healthy, balanced lifestyle that contains elements of enjoyment and indulgence, and being trained to peak condition.
I think a lot will eventually come out about how unhealthy professional sports are. But nothing like amateur Rugby where guys have no access tp professional physios, yet still expose their bodies to severe trauma. My mate is an utter mess at 35 after playing for 20 years at Amateur level, can hardly walk and a face like a pug dog.
(03-07-2018, 01:32 PM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: I’m not a sports scientist so may be totally wrong but I don’t think a lot of footballers or elite athletes in general are living a “healthy lifestyle” - most of them are conditioned to run their body at peak levels for short bursts which is bound to impact normal functioning.

Think there’s a difference between leading a healthy, balanced lifestyle that contains elements of enjoyment and indulgence, and being trained to peak condition.

I don’t think you’re far wrong with that.