Ye Olde Dudley Shoppes
Anyone remember Debenhams in the High Street?

F. W. Cook with the rocking chair in the café?

Midland Educational. Castle Sports. Next. Then Next. Then Next To Nothing.

When C&A was built. When WHSmith opened.

Them there was the days...
(12-01-2020, 12:32 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: Anyone remember Debenhams in the High Street?

I sure do. 

Didn't F.W. Cook also have a rocking horse? I remember my sister and I always going on it when we were younger.

Then there was an Our Price opposite the Wimpy, and of course a Marks & Spencers.

Unfortunately Merry Hell lead to the demise of Dudley, and last time I went there, it was full of charity shops, and take-away chicken bars.
Stantons, on the corner of Fisher Street and with the massive, curved plate glass window - complete with grand piano. Listening to the record in a soundproof booth before buying.

Zissmans and Austin Roper. Foster Bros., with sock drawers smelling of camphor and compressed air machines whisking canisters of cash around the building. The light of Asia at the top end of the High Street.
ElbowGrease1973 Wrote:
baggiebloke Wrote:Anyone remember Debenhams in the High Street?

I sure do. 

Didn't F.W. Cook also have a rocking horse? I remember my sister and I always going on it when we were younger.

Then there was an Our Price opposite the Wimpy, and of course a Marks & Spencers.

Unfortunately Merry Hell lead to the demise of Dudley, and last time I went there, it was full of charity shops, and take-away chicken bars.

add to it mobile phone shops.
We will be looking back at the Trident Centre and JB's next.
Sugarhill nightclub was an interesting night out - Daily special Goat curry and red stripe Big Grin
Dudley holds some memories for lots of us on here.
My first job was in the shoe shop Truform in the high street when I was 16. Wasn't it the co-op at the top of the high street, I can remember collecting the stamps for me mom. Can't not mention Beatties and the record department on the ground floor and the Churchill Arcade with the parrots in the glass display. The market was always busy and I can always remember my Dad picking up the sacks of potatoes from the shop at the bottom of the Fountain Arcade.
Wasn't Sportsco up the incline on the right, I reckon opposite what is now the Spoons.
Dudley Council's response to Merry Hill's decimation of the High St was to start charging for parking.
Graduate Records. Cool as fuck shop back in the day

(12-01-2020, 01:20 PM)Offside Wrote: Dudley Council's response to Merry Hill's decimation of the High St was to start charging for parking.

Bob on. That deterred as many shoppers going there as the opening of Merry Hill
Used to go with a mate every Saturday into Dudley, spend about an hour in Graduate Records,buying old albums by some freaked out weirdos, then Hudsons bookshop, then meet two tarts from school in Littlewoods cafe.