MOTD2
OK just watched it, never in a million years is that a red. I'm basing this purely on the Palace players lack of reaction. First viewing thought, Pereira is putting momentum into his legs to spring back up, multiple further slo mo viewings, there's still no intent, no player reacts, nobody on the pitch thought anything of it all. A total non-event, that appears to have shattered our plans.

It appears that even if the ref was giving him a yellow (which means the ref saw it and had made a decision already), that if the VAR controllers say review it, then refs are immediately being told reverse your decision...as happened with the Man U non-penalty penalty... Definitely open for corruption.

Nowt with VAR surprises me anymore.
I actually blame the VAR reviewers more than the ref. There is no way that was a reviewable incident after he had already seen it and given him a yellow card. The game should have just carried on after a mandatory review. The ref was never going to stick to his decision after he’d been called over and none of them either have the conviction to stick by their decision or are told by Stockley Park to change it. We’ve seen it against Man Utd and we saw it yesterday.
(12-07-2020, 07:53 AM)Psalm23 Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Well we're up to about a dozen pundits so far and not one has said it should have been a sending off.  Just saying.

But they all must have blue & white specss on, obviously.   Rolleyes

Hardly anybody on here has said it was a definite sending off, in fact I can't find one.
What has been challenged is the fact that Pereira even kicked out no matter how half heartedly and whatever the intent was, that gave the Ref/VAR the opportunity to send him off. It was rank stupidity.
Anybody that didn't see that was indeed wearing Blue and White Specs.
(12-07-2020, 12:08 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(12-06-2020, 11:41 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Well we're up to about a dozen pundits so far and not one has said it should have been a sending off.  Just saying.

Hardly anybody on here has said it was a definite sending off, in fact I can't find one.
What has been challenged is the fact that Pereira even kicked out no matter how half heartedly and whatever the intent was, that gave the Ref/VAR the opportunity to send him off. It was rank stupidity.

Harry MacGuire kicked a Chelsea player in the bollocks from the same position that Pereira was in and nothing was said. The ref gave Pereira a yellow card, but the idiot watching it on TV 100 miles away stuck his oar in and over ruled him. I always thought that the VAR bloke was there to catch things that the match ref missed, not force him to change his mind. If MacGuire wasn't punished, then neither should Pereira have been - the initial yellow was sufficient. I know MacGuire plays for Manchester United and the rules don't apply to them, but it's the inconsistency of the decisions that annoy me.
I'm really angry with Slav's post match comments personally, he should have come out assertively and challenged the decision, and the decision to go to the monitor. Straight away I thought we had a case to appeal that, still do, it's a yellow at absolute worse

Slav saying "well he gave the referee a decision to make" has just justified the VAR fuck up in the first place

The fact the media are all now saying no red, on the back of a strong appeal from us would have given us a chance to have it rescinded to a yellow in my opinion

Sides like ours can't afford to be without Pereira for 3 bloody games without trying to overturn it

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers

You're sure he kicked out with intent?  I'd say most of the movement was momentum and was in no way violent or reckless.  It was certainly not as bad as Zaha's petulance that lead to a word from the ref.  And if we're being honest that's all the Zaha challenge warranted.  Yet the Zaha challenge was more intentional and petulant that the Pereira incident.  Technically, yes, Pereira gave the referee a decision to make, but so does every challenge or reaction.  It was less of a decision to make than Zaha's reaction to merely being tackled.  Every foul or tackle gives the referee a decision to make, it doesn't mean a player should be sent off.

There were a further 3 incidents all more blatant than anything Pereira did that VAR got wrong or didn't even look at:

Guita into Ivanovic, a clear foul and penalty;
Gallagher being pushed to the ground - a clear push and in the modern game a stone wall penalty; and
McArthur's stamp-tackle on Gallagher. That had more intent, recklessness and danger to an opponent than any other tackle in the game.  Ref saw it, booked him and the game moved on, fair enough and as far as I'm concerned that should be the end of t.  That can't be possibly be right though if what Pereira did was violent conduct. Never.

VAR needs to be stopped until they can find a way to use it properly and with consistency.  It's simply not working and someone needs to have the balls to say so and go back to the drawing board with its use and implementation.  Too much self interest I guess for that to happen.
(12-07-2020, 12:36 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:

You're sure he kicked out with intent?  I'd say most of the movement was momentum and was in no way violent or reckless.  It was certainly not as bad as Zaha's petulance that lead to a word from the ref.  And if we're being honest that's all the Zaha challenge warranted.  Yet the Zaha challenge was more intentional and petulant that the Pereira incident.  Technically, yes, Pereira gave the referee a decision to make, but so does every challenge or reaction.  It was less of a decision to make than Zaha's reaction to merely being tackled.  Every foul or tackle gives the referee a decision to make, it doesn't mean a player should be sent off.

There were a further 3 incidents all more blatant than anything Pereira did that VAR got wrong or didn't even look at:

Gallagher being pushed to the ground - a clear push and in the modern game a stone wall penalty; and
McArthur's stamp-tackle on Gallagher. That had more intent, recklessness and danger to an opponent than any other tackle in the game.  Ref saw it, booked him and the game moved on, fair enough and as far as I'm concerned that should be the end of t.  That can't be possibly be right though if what Pereira did was violent conduct. Never.

VAR needs to be stopped until they can find a way to use it properly and with consistency.  It's simply not working and someone needs to have the balls to say so and go back to the drawing board with its use and implementation.  Too much self interest I guess for that to happen.

Agree with every word CA Baggie.

My first reaction when I saw it was  Dodgy  if this goes to VAR it'll be a red.  Shouldn't have been but we seem to be being made an example of (Slav's outburst at Everton - closing ranks?).
(12-07-2020, 01:15 PM)Hopalong Wrote:

My first reaction when I saw it was  Dodgy  if this goes to VAR it'll be a red.  Shouldn't have been but we seem to be being made an example of (Slav's outburst at Everton - closing ranks?).

You mean crossing the pitch to go the tunnel on the other side of the pitch and speaking with the referee as he did so?  Outburst makes it sound so dramatic.

Did you see Moyes on the pitch "discussing" with the referee post game on Saturday?  I'm 100% confident that the consistency will be applied that we're all looking for and he will be fined and warned about his future conduct.
(12-07-2020, 12:36 PM)CA Baggie Wrote:

You missed Zaha going in aggressively and studs up on Sawyers with little chance of getting the ball and making contact with Sawyers' foot. That's textbook dangerous which by the laws of the game is a red card, if Sawyers was a bit slower moving his foot back that could have been a nasty injury.