Racist Incident in PSG Game
Am i missing something here? I would like to hear other views on this so maybe I can understand better.

The assistant referee referring to a coach as the Black man got the game suspended?

At worst unprofessional considering what's going on and he should have probably pointed him out instead but how is this racist? Correct me if i'm wrong but Webo was the only black coach on the team. So if it was the other way round and you had one white coach, surely the assistant ref would have done the same. 

I would seriously like someone to explain this as I'm completely perplexed by all this. 

If I worked in an office full of Asians and I was the only white guy, how would someone describe me to point me out? 

The overreaction over this in the media to me seems ridiculous. The abuse this ref is getting over this is not on at all.
I'd be surprised if the official was being racist.

I'd be unsurprised if someone had incorrectly thought he was.

Over sensitivity to nothingness harms the fight against true racism.

I've not seen any of the footage mind, so views are based on broad assumption.
(12-09-2020, 10:16 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Am i missing something here? I would like to hear other views on this so maybe I can understand better.

The assistant referee referring to a coach as the Black man got the game suspended?

At worst unprofessional considering what's going on and he should have probably pointed him out instead but how is this racist? Correct me if i'm wrong but Webo was the only black coach on the team. So if it was the other way round and you had one white coach, surely the assistant ref would have done the same. 

I would seriously like someone to explain this as I'm completely perplexed by all this. 

If I worked in an office full of Asians and I was the only white guy, how would someone describe me to point me out? 

The overreaction over this in the media to me seems ridiculous. The abuse this ref is getting over this is not on at all.

The fat bloke that no-one talks to?  Wink Big Grin
(12-09-2020, 10:33 AM)baggy1 Wrote:
(12-09-2020, 10:16 AM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: Am i missing something here? I would like to hear other views on this so maybe I can understand better.

The fat bloke that no-one talks to?  Wink Big Grin

Nope, more like the skinny bloke that no one talks to  Big Grin

I've just listened to Micah Richards talk about this and he has basically said the same as me so unless there's anything more to it then it seems its just a misunderstanding because of the way Romanians say Black which is negru.
Sorry BDC - couldn't resist

And on point - I would imagine it's a misunderstanding based on language but does that mean that the EUFA authorities need to start some training on these matters, especially seeing as these are emotive subjects.
A lot of people are on edge and hearing racism where it isn't. Also a lot of racism goes unheard. Both are difficult to deal with and put an end to. It's a problem in life not sport. People take their beliefs to the game.
(12-09-2020, 10:59 AM)Baggiejacko Wrote: A lot of people are on edge and hearing racism where it isn't. Also a lot of racism goes unheard. Both are difficult to deal with and put an end to. It's a problem in life not sport. People take their beliefs to the game.

There is still a misunderstanding of what constitutes racism on both sides, and this lack of education and lack of freedom to discuss openly is driving divisions in an already divided society.

Racism seeks to oppress and maintain the belief that a given race is inferior to white people. The mere description of someone being a black person doesn’t constitute racism, but using a term that has historically been associated with oppression does.
You telling me there is no other way to describe who you're talking about without having to point to the colour of their skin?

For a start, players have numbers on their shirts, it's not Sunday league the officials would have known the players names. Cultural or not, the players did the right thing in walking off.
A question for Demba Ba. If you have a Caucasian male in a 100 meter race and you don’t know his name how would you describe him?
(12-09-2020, 11:19 AM)Olympic Wrote: A question for Demba Ba. If you have a Caucasian male in a 100 meter race and you don’t know his name how would you describe him?

The one who finished last.