Dinosaurs in football
(12-28-2020, 06:08 PM)Jack Halford Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 05:32 PM)TTM2 Wrote: At the end of the day our squad has the lowest value in the league at £79m, last night we played a side that was compiled with an addition £900m on top. NINE HUNDRED MILLION.

It’s like turning up to race Lewis Hamilton in an Austin Allegro, you’ll need to fight dirty to have any chance (or in Hamilton’s case say something to offend the poor mite).

I enjoyed last night, two banks of four in the first half, letting them fuck about with it all they wanted and defend deep. Second half give them other things to think about, grab something and go home happy. It was far superior to going there under Mowbray, passing it around in our own half with 60% possession, concede 3 goals in ten mins either side of half time and get sent on our way with a ruffle of the hair and a good old patronising.

It’s a bit like a night out with FF......you can sit there talking to a beautiful woman all night and end it with a kiss on the cheek and a quick rub over your kecks, whereas FF sat there watching all night but picked up a Romanian brass on the way home and gave her a good seeing to.......FF was direct and not to everyone’s liking, but he got the job done*

*Hi FF, hope you’re well, only pulling your leg Wink

Nail on head.

Until we get a sugar daddy, like it or not this is the best route. It was great not to see us roll over last night. Even Pat Nevin was going on about the energetic Sawyers last night.

Going forward I think BFS is happier than he thought with our defence. It will be interesting to see who we bring in.

I agree, spot on.
(12-28-2020, 04:43 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:10 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Just think where we might be without those 8 seasons. A self sustaining club with very low level sustenance potential. During the 8 seasons,talk on here was of the fabled 'next level' whereas we may have ended up looking over our shoulder at the wrong next level. The 8 put us in good stead for an expensive promotion campaign for 2 seasons that lots predicted were do or die. Don't knock treading water in the top flight when it gives you stability. You never know one time we might get lucky and start infiltrating that next level.

I wish people would remember that.

If we didn't get promoted last season, and we did all we could to blow it! We'd be lower half Championship for a very long time with the finances we had. 

We simply don't produce even top half revenues in that league without the TV money, hence we absolutely need to stay in this league at all costs.
I hate the prem and all the media top six wankefest that goes with it as much as anyone but your absolutely spot on Birdy our very future depends on it we slip back into the chump and font gone up before the parachute payments end the wilderness years of the late 80/90's will seem like a golden era compared to what will face us in the future.
(12-28-2020, 04:54 PM)Offside Wrote: The old git romantics like me were brought up watching teams who were evenly matched due to the players maximum wage cap. It meant that the likes of us and Burnley and PNE and Ipswich were evenly matched as we could all pay the going rate for the best players.  There was no small clique of clubs able to dominate the league for decades based on their financial clout.  Liverpool spent most of the 1950s in Division 2.  Man City spent a good bit of the post war years in Division 2 as well.  Wolves were the powerhouse of the late 1950s winning the League three times if I remember correctly.  We were  close behind.  I remember the great Spurs double winning side and also remember them being relegated.  Man Utd too were relegated in 1974.

The legacy of the fairly level playing field as regards player recruitment and finance,  lasted into the 1970s so we, with a good youth policy,  competed.  We had a pretty good expectation of finishing somewhere about 8th or 10th in Division 1.   

Then came Sky and the money men and the glamourous façade of the Premier League.  Football was re-invented and the likes of us and Norwich and Ipswich and Burnley and Wolves and Stoke and Blackburn and Southampton and West Ham and Blues and to some degree the Villa,  are only required to play the role of the little bloke who no one has heard of in WWF wrestling. 

Our job is turn up and play the role of brave but inadequate underdogs,  so that the glamour boys in gold lame underpants, can beat the shit out of us.  Worst still, the hysterical and ignorant of football-history commentators, can come in their own underpants  at the brilliance of the obscenely funded favoured few.  Our job is to comply with the script and try to avoid humiliation on global TV. 

Unless we, and clubs like us,  manage to do a Leicester,  Sam's pragmatism is the best chance we have of staying in this awful league. 

I am not a fan,  but the days of Ronnie Allen, Bobby Hope, Cyrille and Laurie are gone forever,  or at least until we get a sugar daddy who is serious about winning something.

Post of the day this Mon.
(12-28-2020, 07:52 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 04:43 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 03:10 PM)Baggiejacko Wrote: Just think where we might be without those 8 seasons. A self sustaining club with very low level sustenance potential. During the 8 seasons,talk on here was of the fabled 'next level' whereas we may have ended up looking over our shoulder at the wrong next level. The 8 put us in good stead for an expensive promotion campaign for 2 seasons that lots predicted were do or die. Don't knock treading water in the top flight when it gives you stability. You never know one time we might get lucky and start infiltrating that next level.

I wish people would remember that.

If we didn't get promoted last season, and we did all we could to blow it! We'd be lower half Championship for a very long time with the finances we had. 

We simply don't produce even top half revenues in that league without the TV money, hence we absolutely need to stay in this league at all costs.
I hate the prem and all the media top six wankefest that goes with it as much as anyone but your absolutely spot on Birdy our very future depends on it we slip back into the chump and font gone up before the parachute payments end the wilderness years of the late 80/90's will seem like a golden era compared to what will face us in the future.

There's a lot I don't like about the PL. The most competitive and entertaining league in the country is the Championship.

However, while we're in the PL, we need to do everything we can to stay in it and that means working to our strengths. No shame in that.

Limp performances like those against Palace and Fulham, now that is shameful. Just wish we'd said thank you and goodbye to Billc earlier.
(12-28-2020, 02:24 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 02:17 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Loving it. One parking the bus is the same as another to me.

The end result was exactly the same (which incidentally was all anyone seemed bothered about a week ago the results, the results, the results), people were saying how brilliantly worked and earned the Citeh point was, now after getting tonked by the Seals (but let's ignore that)... BFS is the messiah and it's so much better than anything Bilic did at Man City, so much better tactically and so much more commitment... FFS.

Similar tactics and effort = v Man City 23% possession, against Liverpool 21% possession, that's similar enough to show a similarity in the approach to the game, a similar approach to the work rate and commitment the same players put in.

This is pragmatism, the end result is the same, and to many on here that is all that apparently matters. Strange then how the gushing and effusiveness is only allowed for one manager achieving the same thing?
Loving it? Yes it must be great having a point of view completely trashed without one person agreeing with you. Must do your ego a power of good.

My ego is perfectly fine thanks, nice of you to enquire though.

Bet you're loving it all after tonight? Tactical modern day, masterclass wasn't it? 10 players barely past our own 35 yard line, just what's needed, against a side that's known to play upbeat and attacking football, but is also known for having the second leakiest defence in the league, yes whatever we do, don't attack... Negative tactics breed negative displays.

I don't need some strangers on the internet to agree with my view when our manager can get them playing as well as that.

(12-28-2020, 06:38 PM)Supamart Wrote:
(12-28-2020, 06:08 PM)Jack Halford Wrote: Going forward I think BFS is happier than he thought with our defence. It will be interesting to see who we bring in.
I agree, spot on.

Ahhhh, maybe not eh?
Imagine judging a manager after he's only had a couple of training sessions with the squad.

Sam is very experienced at this level and knows how to keep teams competitive in this league. I can see what he's trying to do but the defence is just so poor for this level.