I had a dream...
No club has a five-year plan involving keeping the same manager now. Those days are gone. If your manager does well, someone else will poach them, if they do poorly, they'll be sacked.

This table is a good illustration of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu...e_managers

However, what we do need to decide is if we are sticking to the DoF + Head Coach model, or going back to having a manager. At the moment we seem to be doing a weird ineffectual hybrid of both.
(01-03-2021, 04:09 PM)Squid Wrote: No club has a five-year plan involving keeping the same manager now. Those days are gone. If your manager does well, someone else will poach them, if they do poorly, they'll be sacked.

This table is a good illustration of that: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cu...e_managers

However, what we do need to decide is if we are sticking to the DoF + Head Coach model, or going back to having a manager. At the moment we seem to be doing a weird ineffectual hybrid of both.

Agreed.

Our most successful spell coincided with the DOF overseeing scouting, purchasing and style of play and us bringing head coaches in that fit the blueprint. 

RDM, Roy, Clarke saw us go from a flat, disinterested squad that were totally outclassed in the PL to one that competed in the top half and was considering a push into Europe whilst making large profits in 5 years.

Other clubs have had similar impacts with different strategies (Wilder’s cult of personality... Leicester/Villa spunking millions) we don’t really have those options available.

I think Dowling, with the right ownership and CEO above him could do the job Ashworth did, but at the moment the whole club is rudderless and that ultimately led to inevitable fall outs between LD, Slav and all concerned.

(01-03-2021, 02:18 PM)TETLEY74 Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 02:11 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 01:56 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: No idea why (probably too much cheese), but I woke up in the middle of last night having dreamt that we had re-appointed Steve Clarke as our manager on a 5-year deal, with Brunty as his assistant.  They had a 5-year deal with the expectation that at least 2 of those 5 years would be spent in the Premier League, and that they wouldn’t be sacked for getting relegated.  

I slept very peacefully after that. 

Woke up this morning thinking that actually it wasn’t anywhere near as bizarre as most of my cheese-fuelled dreams!  I’d take that.

It would probably work better with Brunty as manager and Steve as his No.2... but I think we all know Appleton is next in line.

Imvho think we could worse than get Appleton in now and let him prepared for next season, will give him half a season to assess the players and half a season in the prem will be a good learning curve for him so maybe won't be out of his depth if/when he gets us back up.

Appleton will be a far better manager for seeing out the season at Lincoln.

There’s little to be gained from spending 6 months getting tonked every week with a group of players that aren’t good enough. A couple training ground sessions will tell him who is and isn’t up for the battle.
If Appy gets Lincoln up why would he come to what is turning into a basket case club when he could finish a sort of romantic story there?

Getting him in whilst we're technically still in the Prem at least seems like a step up!
(01-03-2021, 04:21 PM)MassDebater Wrote: If Appy gets Lincoln up why would he come to what is turning into a basket case club when he could finish a sort of romantic story there?

Getting him in whilst we're technically still in the Prem at least seems like a step up!

Because with us he could manage in the Prem one day and have a big pay increase.

(01-03-2021, 04:25 PM)The liquidator Wrote: Sam ain't going nowhere

He will be in the Summer.
Sam ain't going nowhere
(01-03-2021, 04:25 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote:
(01-03-2021, 04:21 PM)MassDebater Wrote: If Appy gets Lincoln up why would he come to what is turning into a basket case club when he could finish a sort of romantic story there?

Because with us he could manage in the Prem one day and have a big pay increase.

So, assuming Lai is still in charge and he gets Appy in... would our esteemed owner really give him another chance at promotion if he didn't achieve it first time around? Judging by recent events I'd think not.

That was my thinking too, Appleton is no mug, he learns and adapts quickly yes we may well get beat most games but I'd wager we would be a damn sight more competive and wouldn't be "tonked" every game a d the leasons he would learn from that would stand him in good stead for next time, as I say he is no idiot. But thats just my onions I may be totally wide of the mark.
Appy loves taking on basket case clubs.

He’d come here no doubt. Bigger budget, past connections, etc....
Worst. Martin Luther King. Impression. Ever.
(01-03-2021, 04:09 PM)Squid Wrote: No club has a five-year plan involving keeping the same manager now. Those days are gone. If your manager does well, someone else will poach them, if they do poorly, they'll be sacked.

Spot on.

We seem to go from one style of play to another with every appointment. There's no consistency.