Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vardy
Fitted beautifully into the Leicester set-up. Counter-attack, ball over the top, use his pace, score.
If he's not going to be used like that, by England, why try to fit him in the team?
I think most teams will have the ball more than us at the euros
I don't think I'd play him from the start. I know all the talk is around trying to fit Rooney into the team and how the disrupts things but IMO it's actually trying to fit Vardy in that's the issue. He's a very useful player but he can only play in one way and that's not how we have spent two years trying to play as a National side.

After watching the warm up games I'd either play Rooney up there with Kane or go with the 433 and Kane through the middle with Rooney either wide or in midfield. Vardy should be an impact sub.
More worrying was that by playing Rooney in that role we have moved Alli to a less effective position, this removes the great partnership he has with Kane and makes Alli much less effective, he was our ace in the pack but we need to play him where he was so good in his other games.

Roy is going to start Rooney so everyone else is accommodating this leading to poorer performances
Spot on Mad.
Vardy can work with Kane without a doubt, the start of the Turkey game and the 2nd half in Germany showed that. The problem is definitely Rooney/Ali. It has to be one or the other and Vardy and Kane have to play closer to each other. Last night midfield was a big issue. Wilshere has to play instead of Milner as he carries the ball far better and his passing instincts link up better with the front players.

Additionally there seems to be a lot of panic about last night but it was a laborious friendly where player wouldn't want to risk injury. Playing against a side who were not interested in attacking meant the counter attacking strength we have was never going to be utilised. We still won the game and Portugal could be our QF opponents if we get that far. The bookies will have us favourite for every game up until the semi final if the draw pans out as expected. Don't panic Pike!!
(06-03-2016, 06:58 AM)Baggiemad Wrote: More worrying was that by playing Rooney in that role we have moved Alli to a less effective position, this removes the great partnership he has with Kane and makes Alli much less effective, he was our ace in the pack but we need to play him where he was so good in his other games.

Roy is going to start Rooney so everyone else is accommodating this leading to poorer performances
This is the issue I've always had with Rooney playing for England, the shape of the team is never right.

I hope Roy doesn't try to fit him in and leaves him as an impact sub when needed.
I cannot see Roy dropping him and do think he has something to offer but his link up play and first touch is not what it used to be, it is one of those situations where if he was unavailable it may just solve our problems
Vardy has one strength and that is his pace, Leicester use this to full effect but push him wide as
last night and you might as not play him. Most of those players play in a 4-2-3-1 formation week
in week out, as do many international sides, why not start with that as a basis for the side?

If Kane is the lone striker then Alli should be the player just behind him, all this formation tinkering
looks to be to accommodate Rooney, Roy needs to stop trying to pick his best or favourite players
and pick his best team, game by game if necessary. Roy was unlucky last night as the game became
a pointless exercise once the lad was sent off, but at that point the side cried out for width as
Portugal sat deep, Townsend would have been ideal in that circumstance IMO
(06-03-2016, 07:19 AM)aj21 Wrote: Vardy can work with Kane without a doubt, the start of the Turkey game and the 2nd half in Germany showed that. The problem is definitely Rooney/Ali. It has to be one or the other and Vardy and Kane have to play closer to each other. Last night midfield was a big issue. Wilshere has to play instead of Milner as he carries the ball far better and his passing instincts link up better with the front players.

Additionally there seems to be a lot of panic about last night but it was a laborious friendly where player wouldn't want to risk injury. Playing against a side who were not interested in attacking meant the counter attacking strength we have was never going to be utilised. We still won the game and Portugal could be our QF opponents if we get that far. The bookies will have us favourite for every game up until the semi final if the draw pans out as expected. Don't panic Pike!!

+1. I think we can be unduly critical of Vardy and just saying that pace is his only attribute. He showed in enough games for Leicester that his link-up play is also good and if you play him and Kane up front you do get the possibility of one going wide and the other staying central. And Wilshere is more likely to clip a ball into either of them when he's broken past his man and the game opens up.