May in the Mail
[Image: EsIKBbrXUAMEhV4?format=jpg&name=large]

May’s opinion
If she wasn't a prime influence behind the Austerity policy I might take more notice of what she says.
It's a tight race for the position of worst prime minister ever, but May just about edges it.
(01-20-2021, 09:22 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: If she wasn't a prime influence behind the Austerity policy I might take more notice of what she says.

She was indeed awful as both Home Secretary and PM. However, I think her natural inclination towards caution and an authoritarian approach might have been better suited to dealing with the pandemic.
(01-20-2021, 09:25 AM)Protheroe Wrote: It's a tight race for the position of worst prime minister ever, but May just about edges it.

The four worst PMs in history:

Eden

May

Boris

Lord North

What links them together I wonder?
(01-20-2021, 08:39 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: May’s opinion
As you dissed May from pillar to post when she was PM, why do you consider her opinion worth noting now?
(01-20-2021, 09:59 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 09:25 AM)Protheroe Wrote: It's a tight race for the position of worst prime minister ever, but May just about edges it.

Eden

May

Boris

Lord North

You forgot Maggie

Eden

May

Boris

Lord North

Crikey, and there was I thinking she just about beat Gordon Brown into second place.
(01-20-2021, 10:48 AM)Protheroe Wrote:

Eden

May

Boris

Lord North

Crikey, and there was I thinking she just about beat Gordon Brown into second place.

Yes, Gordon Brown, the man who laid the blueprint for the nations that (unlike the UK) successfully recovered from the global financial crisis (that your mate Sajid was directly responsible for), is the second worst PM in history. Not Eden, the man who had lied to the Commons about Suez and then proceeded to destroy UK foreign relations and turned the country into a global laughing stock. Or Lord North, who instigated the coercive acts and was forced out by Parliament after his own stupidity forced the city of London to declare martial law. Or Boris Johnson, who completely bungled the Brexit trade deal by failing to remove any NTBs and completely screwed over a whole sector by refusing a mutually beneficial visa arrangement for seemingly no reason while his government has been making wrong decision after wrong decision that has not only caused the third largest financial crash in British history after the Scottish Panama disaster end South Seas Bubble but has also failed to keep people alive.

If you think Gordon Brown is anywhere near as bad as Eden, Johnson and North you're deluded.
TBF, As a PM, Brown was simply in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Ossian Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:If she wasn't a prime influence behind the Austerity policy I might take more notice of what she says.

She was indeed awful as both Home Secretary and PM. However, I think her natural inclination towards caution and an authoritarian approach might have been better suited to dealing with the pandemic.
You are probably right, we'll never know. I just get the feeling she wasn't really up to the job and would have faced a huge backlash from her party had she tried to lockdown.