Returning to football ?
When we come through the covid crisis and supporters are allowed back in,who is going to return?I have spoke to a few fans recently and I’m talking about loyal season ticket holders and even regular away supporters.There overall appetite to go back has diminished considerably and maybe the football authorities are in for a bit of a shock.When you haven’t been for a period of time and the football is constantly on TV then not everyone will find the motivation to go.As for myself,I’m a 50 year old who has had a season ticket for well over 30 years but I find myself in no hurry to go back.I don’t understand the rules anymore be it the offside rule by a fingernail or the handball rule where it’s given as a penalty even if it hits the arm by accident.Add to that the embarrassing diving and constant cheating of players which the authorities have done nothing about then why would I go back.Football needs to wake up and quickly.
Huggybear Wrote:When we come through the covid crisis and supporters are allowed back in,who is going to return?I have spoke to a few fans recently and I’m talking about loyal season ticket holders and even regular away supporters.There overall appetite to go back has diminished considerably and maybe the football authorities are in for a bit of a shock.When you haven’t been for a period of time and the football is constantly on TV then not everyone will find the motivation to go.As for myself,I’m a 50 year old who has had a season ticket for well over 30 years but I find myself in no hurry to go back.I don’t understand the rules anymore be it the offside rule by a fingernail or the handball rule where it’s given as a penalty even if it hits the arm by accident.Add to that the embarrassing diving and constant cheating of players which the authorities have done nothing about then why would I go back.Football needs to wake up and quickly.

I agree with everything you say about the state of modern football, it drives me doolally.   But, I'm a hopeless case that will be banging the door down to get back in. I wish they would just open the gates and let me sit there for an hour!  I already had renewed for this season so I expect they'll roll that over to next. It isn't just the football. That is only part of the day. It's meeting up with friends and family, going for a pint and sometimes a curry after. We have sadly lost one of our gang to that big stadium in the sky so it will be very emotional when I do finally get back there.
(01-20-2021, 08:52 PM)Huggybear? Wrote: When we come through the covid crisis and supporters are allowed back in,who is going to return?I have spoke to a few fans recently and I’m talking about loyal season ticket holders and even regular away supporters.There overall appetite to go back has diminished considerably and maybe the football authorities are in for a bit of a shock.When you haven’t been for a period of time and the football is constantly on TV then not everyone will find the motivation to go.As for myself,I’m a 50 year old who has had a season ticket for well over 30 years but I find myself in no hurry to go back.I don’t understand the rules anymore be it the offside rule by a fingernail or the handball rule where it’s given as a penalty even if it hits the arm by accident.Add to that the embarrassing diving and constant cheating of players which the authorities have done nothing about then why would I go back.Football needs to wake up and quickly.

When football finally reopens there will be queues a mile long. No matter they've done or said. A bit like Wetherspoons and then uproar where folk were saying they'll never drink in there again because of the nasty owner? They will.
(01-21-2021, 07:10 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:
(01-20-2021, 08:52 PM)Huggybear? Wrote: When we come through the covid crisis and supporters are allowed back in,who is going to return?I have spoke to a few fans recently and I’m talking about loyal season ticket holders and even regular away supporters.There overall appetite to go back has diminished considerably and maybe the football authorities are in for a bit of a shock.When you haven’t been for a period of time and the football is constantly on TV then not everyone will find the motivation to go.As for myself,I’m a 50 year old who has had a season ticket for well over 30 years but I find myself in no hurry to go back.I don’t understand the rules anymore be it the offside rule by a fingernail or the handball rule where it’s given as a penalty even if it hits the arm by accident.Add to that the embarrassing diving and constant cheating of players which the authorities have done nothing about then why would I go back.Football needs to wake up and quickly.

When football finally reopens there will be queues a mile long. No matter they've done or said. A bit like Wetherspoons and then uproar where folk were saying they'll never drink in there again because of the nasty owner? They will.

Yup.

People will flock back because all of us are craving a return to normality and going to the football is a key part of a normal life for millions in this country.
I'll drag meself to The Shrine by only using my lips if i had to. I can't wait for the day.
(01-21-2021, 07:18 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(01-21-2021, 07:10 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote:

Yup.

People will flock back because all of us are craving a return to normality and going to the football is a key part of a normal life for millions in this country.

Funnily enough I'm looking more forward going to an away match.....
I'll be there.
Living away I mainly got to games in London anyway.

So, yes. Once the planes are up again, and I can sneak away, I'll get to watch us play Orient and Charlton.

Still miss the Old Den though... what a cheery place that was on a winters evening....
I'd even tolerate the Smevvik drummer if it meant i was there.
For me it’s a case of “Don’t know what you’ve got til it’s gone.” Living down south and coaching my lads team on Saturday and Sunday mornings largely rules out going to home games but as soon as I’m able I’ll definitely take the lad and go and watch the Albion at the Hawthorns.