Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FOBTs
(05-17-2018, 08:08 AM)Heath Wrote: Of course some people will just follow simiar pathways via online gambling but without a doubt there is a section of society for whom these were poisonous and destructive. They have also meant that bookmakers just use sport as a front for capturing addicts and banning genuine recreational punters

Don't they fucking just.
(05-17-2018, 08:27 AM)Protheroe Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 08:08 AM)Heath Wrote: Of course some people will just follow simiar pathways via online gambling but without a doubt there is a section of society for whom these were poisonous and destructive. They have also meant that bookmakers just use sport as a front for capturing addicts and banning genuine recreational punters

Don't they fucking just.

Good for money laundering as well.
As someone who comes to the UK for a couple of weeks a year it's striking how many betting shops there are now on every high street especially in poorer areas and its clear they are making good on others misery. Frankly losing a few of these off each high street might not make be a bad thing
Gambling is the devil's work, is what I thinks.

I'll give good odds on someone disagreeing.
(05-17-2018, 11:00 AM)Pneumann Wrote: Gambling is the devil's work, is what I thinks.

I'll give good odds on someone disagreeing.

I am agnostic about that.

I just have no interest in gambling of any sort.  You pays yer money....
(05-17-2018, 08:08 AM)Heath Wrote: Of course some people will just follow simiar pathways via online gambling but without a doubt there is a section of society for whom these were poisonous and destructive. They have also meant that bookmakers just use sport as a front for capturing addicts and banning genuine recreational punters. They have been allowed to become the crack dens of the high street and no amount of bleating about job losses should make that acceptable.

Absolutely right. The bleating already going on about the loss of income to the Treasury, the Bookies, the loss of jobs and the Jockey club FFS is too bad.
When was it acceptable to target vulnerable and addictive people to start funding anything.
The deregulation was a joke and created an epidemic that simply was not there before.
Something to consider in referring to the decriminalisation of drugs thread I saw yesterday.
(05-17-2018, 06:49 AM)Heath Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018...s-cut-to-2

Good. May mean that bookies have to start doing their job again. The idle tossers.

Bang on there mon

I don't do much regular punting unless Im actually at the race day.  I have left the spread betting alone since the Cricket WC 20/20 in 2016 - you literally cant enjoy the tournaments when you punt them.

That just leaves playing Texas Hold Em in 235 pissed-up at the end of the night
I used to manage a bookies and two occasions stick in my mind.

First was a guy playing one of the FOBT's got up to £3400 (there's a little terminal behind the counter showing how well or otherwise a punter is doing). Half hour later, he left the shop having lost every penny.

Another time, woman came in at about 9.30am, stayed till about 3.45pm. She sat at a FOBT and didn't move, not even a trip to the loo, and again, the terminal behind the counter showed she'd stuck over 1200 quid in and left having lost the lot.