Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The “everyone’s a risk” argument...
Is true to an extent but some are pushing that argument to breaking point to justify DM’s potential appointment as Manager / Head Coach. He’s had six games as manager and yes we did exceptionally well but how much that was down to the players suddenly performing to save their own Premier League  place is open to debate. What isn’t is for those matches he did get the team to play well as a team for the first time in months so I commend him but that doesn’t mean we should not query his possible (currently) employment as our new Head Coach.

Six games in a no lose situation is impossible to judge whether he is good enough from the outside looking in. 

What style of play will he get the team to play in? We have a queue of numpty fans who are demanding “progressive” football whatever that means who will scream blue murder if we carry on in the same fashion as we did during those battling performances. So what sort of style will we play to placate these fans who no matter what they say now about 100% support or other cliches will soon moan if they don’t get what they want. 

Who is in charge of of recruitment of players? We have an experienced DoF but with little knowledge of the Championship and only possibly for six months to help DM and a backroom team of? Have we got a scouting team currently? These are hardly ideal conditions for an inexperienced DM to walk into. Will the DoF be announced soon or are we going to muddle through for a third of the season?

I’m really not sure that such a pivotal appointment is fair on a legend given the huge job that has to be done this close season and the upcoming season and if it all goes wrong I guarantee many of those currently banging the drum for DM will be the first to want him gone.

If it is DM I want it to be a huge success but can we not play down that this decision is a huge risk and far bigger than apppointing someone like Smith or heaven forbid Appleton who have managed over a sustained period and we do know what we will get to a certain extent.
(05-17-2018, 07:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is true to an extent but some are pushing that argument to breaking point to justify DM’s potential appointment as Manager / Head Coach. He’s had six games as manager and yes we did exceptionally well but how much that was down to the players suddenly performing to save their own Premier League  place is open to debate. What isn’t is for those matches he did get the team to play well as a team for the first time in months so I commend him but that doesn’t mean we should not query his possible (currently) employment as our new Head Coach.

Six games in a no lose situation is impossible to judge whether he is good enough from the outside looking in. 

What style of play will he get the team to play in? We have a queue of numpty fans who are demanding “progressive” football whatever that means who will scream blue murder if we carry on in the same fashion as we did during those battling performances. So what sort of style will we play to placate these fans who no matter what they say now about 100% support or other cliches will soon moan if they don’t get what they want. 

Who is in charge of of recruitment of players? We have an experienced DoF but with little knowledge of the Championship and only possibly for six months to help DM and a backroom team of? Have we got a scouting team currently? These are hardly ideal conditions for an inexperienced DM to walk into. Will the DoF be announced soon or are we going to muddle through for a third of the season?

I’m really not sure that such a pivotal appointment is fair on a legend given the huge job that has to be done this close season and the upcoming season and if it all goes wrong I guarantee many of those currently banging the drum for DM will be the first to want him gone.

If it is DM I want it to be a huge success but can we not play down that this decision is a huge risk and far bigger than apppointing someone like Smith or heaven forbid Appleton who have managed over a sustained period and we do know what we will get to a certain extent.

Good post. It could do without the dig at fans who want to see better football, mind. But it’s hard to argue against your core point of proceeding with caution with BD’s inexperience.
(05-17-2018, 07:17 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 07:00 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Is true to an extent but some are pushing that argument to breaking point to justify DM’s potential appointment as Manager / Head Coach. He’s had six games as manager and yes we did exceptionally well but how much that was down to the players suddenly performing to save their own Premier League  place is open to debate. What isn’t is for those matches he did get the team to play well as a team for the first time in months so I commend him but that doesn’t mean we should not query his possible (currently) employment as our new Head Coach.

Good post. It could do without the dig at fans who want to see better football, mind. But it’s hard to argue against your core point of proceeding with caution with BD’s inexperience.

I find those who stamp their feet at not getting the type of football they want tiresome, so I’ve given up being polite Wink
(05-17-2018, 07:21 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I find those who stamp their feet at not getting the type of football they want tiresome, so I’ve given up being polite Wink

Well, at least I said it was a good post. 

You twat.
(05-17-2018, 07:23 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:

You twat.

Lol thank you Josh and I love you too. I liked your Mental Health post I would guess your posts earlier in the season may have helped that to fruition.
As we've both said before though there's two teams in every football match. Sometimes the opposition is just better. Whether the players started fighting for their lives or not Spurs and Liverpool were fighting for Top 4, United for Top 2, Newcastle were on a fantastic run of form also.

Against these teams as a far weaker team IMO there has to be far more too it than simply the players having a morale boost. We were playing against some of the best teams and managers in the world.
Good post DH - unusual for me to agree with you - All clubs supporters complain about the football though - Man Utd finished 2nd to an exceptional Citey team and still they whinge and moan. So it's the norm. The dingles are dancing now, give it a couple of months and it will back to doom and gloom. The best footballing team I've seen was the Dutch in the 70's and it's fans still complained. (I know they didn't actually win anything)
(05-17-2018, 07:33 PM)ASOGF Wrote: As we've both said before though there's two teams in every football match. Sometimes the opposition is just better. Whether the players started fighting for their lives or not Spurs and Liverpool were fighting for Top 4, United for Top 2, Newcastle were on a fantastic run of form also.

Against these teams as a far weaker team IMO there has to be far more too it than simply the players having a morale boost. We were playing against some of the best teams and managers in the world.

I agree Slice which is why I’m asking the questions rather than ignoring them or pretending they don’t matter. The trouble is we haven’t got s clue about DM as manager and the circumstances of his success were not a normal situation which muddies the waters further. 

So many questions hang over the potential appointment now that could be exciting or it could be a disaster for him and the club which would be a huge shame. Risks are great to take when you have nothing to lose but the club has a lot to lose.
(05-17-2018, 07:24 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(05-17-2018, 07:23 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:

You twat.

Lol thank you Josh and I love you too. I liked your Mental Health post I would guess your posts earlier in the season may have helped that to fruition.

Thanks. If the club saw my posts and took inspiration (doubtful) that’d be an honour. I hope it takes off and people get help they need. I’ll definitely keep my eye on it.
Not every manager is so limited that it has to be the same approach ('style') every game. It wasn't the same by DM against Swansea as it was against Man United for example and hopefully he will be capable of more than one approach and treat each game on its merits. So long as we don't get shite anti footall week in week out regardless of the opponent it will be better than under Pulis and he has shown already he is better potentially - but as you say it was 6 games.

So a big risk but really any change is a big risk, especially mid season. At least this is the start of a new season and he has had a few games and seems to have created a happy camp - which should not be underestimated. If things don't start well, whoever gets the gig it will look like the wrong decision - at least DM has some credit to get over a bad start and have fans and team behind him working to fix it. I'm worried too but it is a big opportunity as well as a big risk and I am usually stupidly optimistic as far as the Albion goes - the only exception for me was the unbelievable decision to bring Pulis here which played out as I feared and lead us to the championship with fans disenchanted well before . This is a much better appointment in comparison, but yes, a big gamble.

Fingers crossed.