Anyone on here ever lived abroad?
I moved to Toronto almost 18 years ago as I met and then married a Canadian girl. Both my kids ended up being born here and before you know it the years have just flown by, so hard to see an opportunity where it would be worth it to move back. Brexit and the fallout from that has made even more less inclined. Canada is just a more open and liberal country right now.

However, I agree with those on here who have said that being away makes you appreciate home, politics aside, I miss the footie (not going to the Albion with my Dad anymore or being able to take my son is definitely something I have sacrificed moving overseas) and my boy has no real connection to WBA, why would he, he is 13 now and loves the game, plays in a great youth program (they do an great job here with kids footie), but finds it hilarious as I rant at the TV when every we are on. You always miss the people, the banter, pubs and nothing is very far away in the UK.

Day to day though, Toronto has been good to me, better career, house, lifestyle, incredible summers (but tough winters) and a footie team that has actually won something. Easy to diss the MLS, but it has given me and the kids football locally and some great times (30k crowds most games). We actually won the MLS in 2017 and it was something I had never experienced following Albion; winning something. Would I trade it for the Baggies, never.

So would I recommend living overseas, yes, if it is going to make your life better; go for it.
I lived in Jamaica for 3 years and then St.Kitts for a year back in the 70's. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. It would have been far more tricky with a house,kids etc.
(01-25-2021, 09:52 AM)col lard Wrote: I lived in Jamaica for 3 years and then St.Kitts for a year back in the 70's. Wouldn't have missed it for the world. It would have been far more tricky with a house,kids etc.

Wow!  More info please! Had an old mate who was from St Kitts and was always wanting me to go but I never did. Aiee!
erm... Beijing. It's roasting in the summer and freezing in the winter. Spring and Autumn last about 2 weeks each.

Do it. What's the worst that can happen? You'll go back?
(01-24-2021, 02:53 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:46 PM)MrFizz Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 02:40 PM)HugeHons Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 12:57 PM)MrFizz Wrote: Any on here lived in sunnier climes for a period? Been toying with the idea for a few years now. I love Tenerife and have friends there. Only thing holding me back is work (i.e finding a job) and missing family/the shrine etc. I always struggle mentally in autumn/winter, only footy keeps me happy in that time really, and would love to live somewhere sunnier/warmer as it makes me a happier person.

Anyone ever took the plunge?

We would like to spend 3 months of winter  in North Tenerife in the future. 
However,Brexit has put a stop to living there full time.

You could still do that. 90days in every 180 you can stay as a 'tourist'. Even then registering as a 'known foreigner' is still pretty easy, just not quite as easy as ut was when we were in the EU.

Yeah,I know we can do our 3 months every year,just making the point of full time living is now difficult unless you retire and have a hefty income!
It's not that tricky HH. I have a group of friends who are retired and have a monthly occupational pension, but not hefty. Most are in Spain, a few in France a couple in Cyprus and one in Portugal. Each country has reached differing arrangements with ex-pats and 'residencia' in Spain particularly, has proved much easier than they had anticipated. All have retained reciprocal health care agreements with the UK and a handful of countries that do not operate The Schengen agreement in full have discarded the 90 in 180 rule including Cyprus and Croatia.
About 15 years or so ago the parents-in-law were going to sell their house in Crowthorne (about 4 miles from us), move down Dorchester-way and buy a small property in the west of France. Grand-kids started to come along so they shelved their plans. At that time they would have had enough equity to do that to do that but now the property prices are not dissimilar and they wouldn't cope with the upheaval now. They've always regretted not taking the plunge (but not as much as us who would have had a free place to stay in the summer hols  Smile  )
About 15 years or so ago the parents-in-law were going to sell their house in Crowthorne (about 4 miles from us), move down Dorchester-way and buy a small property in the west of France. Grand-kids started to come along so they shelved their plans. At that time they would have had enough equity to do that to do that but now the property prices are not dissimilar and they wouldn't cope with the upheaval now. They've always regretted not taking the plunge (but not as much as us who would have had a free place to stay in the summer hols  Smile  )