Best back 4?
Video 
Without adding anyone
For me
O'shea Ajayi Bartley Townsend
(01-31-2021, 01:14 PM)oldun Wrote: Without adding anyone
For me

Probably, yeah. Given the relative lack of quality of the opposition (and the fact they really should have been 3 or 4 up by half time) I don’t ever want to see us line up with three centre halves and Gibbs and Furlong at wing back - ever again!
Thats the problem, that is our best back 4 currently at the club. It struggled to keep clean sheets in the championship, so we always going to struggle in the EPL.

Thats the fault of both Billic and Downing for improving that area in the summer.
Your back 4 IMO, seem to be slow and Have a someone else will get that attitude. Instead of stepping up to the plate with a "Lets get this clear" attitude. I thought, and hoped, that you would have finished the day above Fulham yesterday. And when you scored your second, a loud "YES" rang out from Brom.
We know BS has been told that no CB's are on the shopping list but we desperately need a solid right back, the extension of Peltier's contract is still just baffling, penny pinching mismanagement. The combination of AJ and Bartts has Championship written all over it but their performances might be massively improved by a physical and aggressive DM in front of them (and a more vocal and dominating keeper - but let's not go there, he's had a good season) to screen. Gibbs defending has been dire over the last few games and I would see if Townsend is an improvement.

No other options, so nothing more to discuss I'm afraid.
(01-31-2021, 01:54 PM)Lillwall's left foot Wrote: We know BS has been told that no CB's are on the shopping list but we desperately need a solid right back, the extension of Peltier's contract is still just baffling, penny pinching mismanagement.  The combination of AJ and Bartts has Championship written all over it but their performances might be massively improved by a physical and aggressive DM in front of them (and a more vocal and dominating keeper - but let's not go there, he's had a good season) to screen.  Gibbs defending has been dire over the last few games and I would see if Townsend is an improvement.

No other options, so nothing more to discuss I'm afraid.

I can only assume the theory must be that we can attack our way out of this, our defence has been average to poor for years IMHO
oldun Wrote:Without adding anyone
For me

Agree, although for all his detractors, Furlong is decent in the air and going forward. He also has a long throw which is proving to be our best attacking option.
I’d personally rather have a centre back pairing of 

Ivanovic & Bartley

I know Ivanovic has a had a bit of a mare but i think under Sam now, if we sit a bit deeper, it’d suit him.
Ajayi has too many ricks in him and his passing has been woeful as of late. 

O’Shea has had a mare at CB but I’d maybe have him at right back but he gets caught out for lack of pace, Furlongs got the pace but positioning and overall defending is awful.

Left back Townsend
(01-31-2021, 01:20 PM)Tambag Wrote: Thats the problem, that is our best back 4 currently at the club. It struggled to keep clean sheets in the championship, so we always going to struggle in the EPL.

Thats the fault of both Billic and Downing for improving that area in the summer.

This issue is that our best current back 4 is weaker than the one that started our first game last season.

Unforgivable.
(01-31-2021, 01:14 PM)oldun Wrote: Without adding anyone
For me
How would you feel about a back 5 ?  0 conceded get you 1 point,  pinch a goal gets you 3 points.  Sam always gets his teams sorted from the back, but he's not feeling the love yet from Brom.  His interviews are lack lustre,  no passion, this is not his way, this is a worry.