Team for next season
Trying to lift some of the doom by looking at the squad for next season but it already looks bleak. Bartley, Townsend, Edwards, Gibbs, Hal, Grosiki, Peltier, Ivanovic are all out of contract. I hope we resign Bartley, Townsend and Edwards but you'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to.

Periera, Gallagher, Diagne will all be off which leave us with a squad looking like this

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch
(02-01-2021, 09:30 AM)aj21 Wrote: Trying to lift some of the doom by looking at the squad for next season but it already looks bleak. Bartley, Townsend, Edwards, Gibbs, Hal, Grosiki, Peltier, Ivanovic are all out of contract. I hope we resign Bartley, Townsend and Edwards but you'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to.

Periera, Gallagher, Diagne will all be off which leave us with a squad looking like this

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

We have an option to buy Diagne for £6m and Okay is a loan-to-buy so we’ll have both of them.

Pereira would raise at least £20m if we sell him, and I’m sure Johnstone would also go for £15m-plus.  £35m in the transfer kitty from those two alone, of which £12m would be needed to pay for Diagne/Okay/next Grant installment, so a net £23m left. 

Bartley and Townsend must stay. Edwards probably too. 

Phillips/Sawyers/Livermore/Zohore really need to be sold.  Probably another £10m there in total. 

Harper is a query - seems like his contract is up in June but I can’t believe we released him on loan without him re-signing him. 

Doesn’t look so bad now.  Around £33m to spend on better/younger replacements and greater use of loans possible in the Championship. 

Nothing to be concerned about if we go down.  We’d be a big fish in a small pond again.  Just need the right manager.
I thought you wanted to lift the gloom the thought of being in the chump with lai at the helm is totally depressing.
I believe Field will be out of contract as well, but like Edwards, Townsend and Bartley he might get an extension. Don’t see us signing either Okay or Diagne if we drop. They’ll be too expensive. I’d let the other OOC guys go.

Phillips and Livermore both in the last year of their deals but suspect they will hang around. Think we’ll end up selling both Pereira and Johnstone to raise funds, maybe Semi too but not as convinced that there will be interest in him.

I think Button could be ok as a champ number 1 and Palmer coming back gives us a good option too, so no need to panic with a keeper.

We’ll need a few defenders, probably one in every position, plus better options on centre midfield. We’ll also certainly need a striker or two as well.

Probably looking at getting on 8-10 players at least, which isn’t that unusual. A lot to do though in a summer where there will almost certainly be a new manager and lots of uncertainty with ownership.
(02-01-2021, 09:30 AM)aj21 Wrote: Trying to lift some of the doom by looking at the squad for next season but it already looks bleak. Bartley, Townsend, Edwards, Gibbs, Hal, Grosiki, Peltier, Ivanovic are all out of contract. I hope we resign Bartley, Townsend and Edwards but you'd have thought it would have happened by now if it was going to.

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

So the worst case scenario of:

Johnstone

O'Shea
Ajayi
Kipre
Furlong

Snodgrass
Sawyers
Livermore
Diangana

Grant
Robinson

That's way ahead of most champ teams and that assumes that a)We lose Pereira b) We sign no one and c) We don't even re-sign Townsend and Bartley.
This season isn't over yet....
No way Johnstone will be here next year, Okay is a straight loan, with no option.
Another season of Livermore...no thanks..hope they can move him on. Get more mobility in there.
(02-01-2021, 09:48 AM)Pragmatist Wrote:

Johnstone
Palmer
Griffiths
Button

O'Shea
Furlong
Ajayi
Kipre

Phillips
Sawyers
Livermore
Field
Harper
Snodgrass
Diangana

Robinson
Grant
Zohore
Morton
Tulloch

We have an option to buy Diagne for £6m and Okay is a loan-to-buy so we’ll have both of them.

Pereira would raise at least £20m if we sell him, and I’m sure Johnstone would also go for £15m-plus.  £35m in the transfer kitty from those two alone, of which £12m would be needed to pay for Diagne/Okay/next Grant installment, so a net £23m left. 

Bartley and Townsend must stay. Edwards probably too. 

Phillips/Sawyers/Livermore/Zohore really need to be sold.  Probably another £10m there in total. 

Harper is a query - seems like his contract is up in June but I can’t believe we released him on loan without him re-signing him. 

Doesn’t look so bad now.  Around £33m to spend on better/younger replacements and greater use of loans possible in the Championship. 

Nothing to be concerned about if we go down.  We’d be a big fish in a small pond again.  Just need the right manager.

Not if his current contract has a sell on clause with a value relative to how much we paid for him.
Phillips and Livermore, hanging around. God help us. Been awful for years.