Grant
So lots advocating him playing on the left (transfer fee £16m) when we have Diangana (transfer fee £18m)  ... who was brought to play on the left?

Really smart football decisions ...75% of our transfer budget for two players for the same position ?

Fans can talk Grant up, but truth is that his ability to do anything wide is limited because got no real pace, can’t go past anyone, hasn’t got a good left foot & on Saturday didn’t get a single ball in the box or get near the bi - line

Went continually backwards & sideways - is that meant to be what we need ?

With a fit squad Diangana, Robinson & Grosiki are better on the left side than him

Very average footballer but for the financial commitment it’s a disaster given how weak we are in other areas (and when he got a chance at the end on Sat he made it look harder then it was)

Doesn’t please me to observe this but it’s there for everyone to see

Think Diangana is a different proposition to Grant

We’ve all seen what Diangana is capable & his strengths  & I believe he will come good. Albeit obvious his failure to have any impact this season has cost us. Talent there, but confidence low

Grant has shown virtually nothing that can justify why we pursued him & how the fee can be justified. He just needs to demonstrate on the pitch what his strengths are because so far I'm asking what are they ?

It’s not about writing anyone off, it’s just about an expensive footballer making an impact on the pitch & influencing a game of football (like what for instance Robinson has done a few times this season)

Also think Diangana will eventually retain his value, whereas Grant is looking like a cross between Burke &  Zohore
(02-01-2021, 11:24 AM)Dumbo Wrote: Said on another thread...

I’m not yet willing to write off Grant and Grady.

Both have had disappointing seasons so far and sure the money spent on them could have both used wiser...but both are talented, young and have massive potential (especially Grady).
Just a shame they both play in the same position....
(02-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: So lots advocating him playing on the left (transfer fee £16m) when we have Diangana (transfer fee £18m)  ... who was brought to play on the left?

Really smart football decisions ...75% of our transfer budget for two players for the same position ?

Fans can talk Grant up, but truth is that his ability to do anything wide is limited because got no real pace, can’t go past anyone, hasn’t got a good left foot & on Saturday didn’t get a single ball in the box or get near the bi - line

With a fit squad Diangana, Robinson & Grosiki are better on the left side than him

Very average footballer but for the financial commitment it’s a disaster given how weak we are in other areas (and when he got a chance at the end on Sat he made it look harder then it was)

We’ve all seen what Diangana is capable & his strengths  & I believe he will come good. Albeit obvious his failure to have any impact this season has cost us. Talent there, but confidence low

Grant has shown virtually nothing that can justify why we pursued him & how the fee can be justified. He just needs to demonstrate on the pitch what his strengths are because so far I'm asking what are they ?

It’s not about writing anyone off, it’s just about an expensive footballer making an impact on the pitch & influencing a game of football (like what for instance Robinson has done a few times this season)

Also think Diangana will eventually retain his value, whereas Grant is looking like a cross between Burke &  Zohore

We will never get the opportunity to ask Slav but it would be interesting to ask Dowling what the thinking was. 

As well documented on here, he played on the left of a front three at Hudds, I believe they played 4-3-3, maybe 4-4-2 at times.  We could not play 4-3-3 to accommodate Diang as he's an out an out winger so it's a bit perplexing to say the least why we signed both. 

I do however think that now we have Diagne we will see more of what he can do, however,  the team/squad is massively unbalanced at the moment (too many left sided players - Grant, Diang, Robinson, Grosicki, Edwards) ) unless we play Snodgrass on the right although he's not going to be able to get up and down the pitch.   Maybe Gallagher?
(02-01-2021, 01:18 PM)Hopalong Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 12:20 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: So lots advocating him playing on the left (transfer fee £16m) when we have Diangana (transfer fee £18m)  ... who was brought to play on the left?

We will never get the opportunity to ask Slav but it would be interesting to ask Dowling what the thinking was. 

As well documented on here, he played on the left of a front three at Hudds, I believe they played 4-3-3, maybe 4-4-2 at times.  We could not play 4-3-3 to accommodate Diang as he's an out an out winger so it's a bit perplexing to say the least why we signed both. 

I do however think that now we have Diagne we will see more of what he can do, however,  the team/squad is massively unbalanced at the moment (too many left sided players - Grant, Diang, Robinson, Grosicki, Edwards) ) unless we play Snodgrass on the right although he's not going to be able to get up and down the pitch.   Maybe Gallagher?

I think the phrase you are looking for is a Clusterfuck.
Snodgrass improved things a lot on Sat (as well as Diagne) when he played through the middle (Gallagher went wide right)

Okay signing today & would be surprised if he didn’t start tomorrow

(02-01-2021, 01:28 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

All hindsight but we should surely have adopted a similar recruitment strategy pre season to that we using now 

Didn’t go to Europe for any players, didn’t maximise loans, no experience brought in. 

It should all about being competitive in the first season, just staying in the division & the dirty words of thinking ‘short term’. If they had done I’m sure we wouldn’t have some of the truly embarrassing, inept performances 

If the powers that be ever get the club promoted again they won’t be adopting a similar recruitment policy - got virtually everything wrong bar Pereira, Gallagher & Robinson
(02-01-2021, 01:31 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: Snodgrass improved things a lot on Sat (as well as Diagne) when he played through the middle (Gallagher went wide right)

What is the deadline for signings  to be able  to play in next game?
I think 5 pm wouldnt surprise me that he has already signed.
(02-01-2021, 01:38 PM)oldun Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:31 PM)Baggeridgebaggy Wrote: Snodgrass improved things a lot on Sat (as well as Diagne) when he played through the middle (Gallagher went wide right)

12pm. I think.
(02-01-2021, 01:45 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-01-2021, 01:38 PM)oldun Wrote:

12pm. I think.

Tomorrow?

(02-01-2021, 01:28 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

All hindsight but we should surely have adopted a similar recruitment strategy pre season to that we using now 

Didn’t go to Europe for any players, didn’t maximise loans, no experience brought in. 

It should all about being competitive in the first season, just staying in the division & the dirty words of thinking ‘short term’. If they had done I’m sure we wouldn’t have some of the truly embarrassing, inept performances 

If the powers that be ever get the club promoted again they won’t be adopting a similar recruitment policy - got virtually everything wrong bar Pereira, Gallagher & Robinson

Gallagher looked a very average footballer on Saturday, he had previously looked our best midfielder purely because he is mobile and the bar is low. I still think he will have a huge part to play but let's not forget, in a side with little PL experience, we used a loan up on another player with limited PL experience himself.

We all like Robinson but that was more just luck that Wilder took a fancy to Burke.

So although I still think the summer preparing for the Championship was a relatively successful one it is quite easy to state they got EVERYTHING wrong apart from Perreira and that was just closing a pre-arranged deal for the year before.  Shambles.