Booking.com
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lessons from the last 8 years in the PL
Now the dust has settled, what lessons do you hope the powers that be will have learned should we ever get back to the PL?

1. Learn how to sell players. Odemwingie, Berahino, Evans, it's all ended in tears; we need to learn when is the best time to cash in on players and reinvest.

2. Stay true to what's made you successful. Developing younger, hungry players was the cornerstone to our early success in the PL. We lost sight of this and focused on the short-term, which eventually caught up with us.
I'd also say, stay away from appointing manager's with Premier League experience where possible. I was all for the appointment of Pulis (probably right at the time) but ultimately we were on the 'experience' merry-go-round then and look where it took us.
If a player is off form drop him. You don't do him or the team any favours by being loyal to a big name player. All you do is piss the fans off, leave him exposed to an angry crowd, and demoralise the rest of the team. Numerous times last year Pulis would not drop players who were struggling which eventually affected the whole team spirit.

Secondly, don't go and buy a Gareth Barry type player at incredible expense, which immediately blocks the progression of a Sam Field type player. I long for the days when a reserve side was just that. If your left back got injured, you didn't shuffle the back four around, you brought in the left back from the reserves.

I think we have been appalling at bringing young players through for the past decade and have wasted a fortune on Billy Bigbollocks mercenaries who have not affection for the club or the paying fans.
(06-13-2018, 09:28 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Now the dust has settled, what lessons do you hope the powers that be will have learned should we ever get back to the PL?

1. Learn how to sell players. Odemwingie, Berahino, Evans, it's all ended in tears; we need to learn when is the best time to cash in on players and reinvest.

2. Stay true to what's made you successful. Developing younger, hungry players was the cornerstone to our early success in the PL. We lost sight of this and focused on the short-term, which eventually caught up with us.

Signing players with a resale value! In eight seasons worth of transfer windows you've managed to mention three players that were wanted by other clubs, that's shocking!
Never think you’re established. Always keep developing and looking to move forward (that does not mean “the next level” or spinning millions necessarily), as soon as you start standing still you’re fucked.
(06-13-2018, 09:48 AM)Duffmon Wrote: Never think you’re established. Always keep developing and looking to move forward (that does not mean “the next level” or spinning millions necessarily), as soon as you start standing still you’re fucked.

*mid table championship club*
One principle that has applied to us in the vast majority of all our PL seasons is that you are only as good as your strikers.

Sourcing/ recruiting/ getting the best of them is another issue altogether
(06-13-2018, 09:28 AM)Sw4Baggie Wrote: Now the dust has settled, what lessons do you hope the powers that be will have learned should we ever get back to the PL?

Re. this:

Evans is the only one that we should've got rid of immediately. He's typical of the worst aspects of a modern footballer. As soon as the going got tough, he displayed the spine of a jellyfish and couldn't wait to engineer his move away. Even going so far as to steal a taxi, probably in the hope we'd terminate his contract. We should've got rid as soon as the plane from Barcelona landed at Birmingham International Airport. 

The other two? With 20/20 hindsight, we should've got rid at the time, but at the time, we all supported Peace's stance on laughing at Spurs' derisory offer for Berahino and telling them to do one. Odemwingie was given the chance to reintegrate himself into the team, but he was more interested in Peter Odemwingie than the club that was paying his wages. Again though, at the time, we supported Peace in the light of twitchy 'Arry's blatant tapping up of the player.
(06-13-2018, 09:35 AM)WorcBaggie Wrote: I'd also say, stay away from appointing manager's with Premier League experience where possible. I was all for the appointment of Pulis (probably right at the time) but ultimately we were on the 'experience' merry-go-round then and look where it took us.
I'd say the same thing for players, a balance is needed between experienced Prem players and people from abroad/lower leagues.
(06-13-2018, 09:46 AM)Ted Maul Wrote:

Signing players with a resale value! In eight seasons worth of transfer windows you've managed to mention three players that were wanted by other clubs, that's shocking!

I'm sure there will have been other bids, and counter to my point, we've probably fended off bids for the likes of Yacob, Mulumbu, Brunt and Morrison in the right way.