Big Sam to stay
(02-08-2021, 09:56 PM)Brandywell Wrote: So am I right in thinking we could potentially not get another point this season be relegated Sam could decide to stay on which would mean the "owners" would either have to keep him or pay him approx a years salary to get rid ??

That's how I read it at the time. The club may have a break clause as well, though.
(02-08-2021, 09:56 PM)Brandywell Wrote: So am I right in thinking we could potentially not get another point this season be relegated Sam could decide to stay on which would mean the "owners" would either have to keep him or pay him approx a years salary to get rid ??

We're not that stoopid.  Are we?   Huh Dodgy
Jack Halford Wrote:
Derek Hardballs Wrote:I can see Allardyce staying on. I doubt he will want this blot on his CV to be the end of his career.

Me too. If we go down, I’m not sure how many other Clubs will be knocking on his door for his services.

If the new players make us better then surely it’s worth keeping some continuity.

Let’s be honest the squad was barely good enough to get out of the Championship. You could see on Saturday that Okay is what we’ve been crying out for for the best part of 4 years. He could defend but also popped up in the opposition box.

BFS was not my choice of manager but we can’t afford to get rid. Keep him now and see where it takes us.
Pretty much my onions too. I really didn't want BFS but now he has some of his own players in, it would be ridiculous to fire him.
How we shape up from here is the acid test. Up to now we are simply (and literally) paying for the mistakes made in the last window. For me, relegation is almost nailed on but our mini league starts now.
If Allarsjite stays long-term, the only Promotion push will be in two years time from Division 1.
As one of the few fans who wasn’t against the Allardyce appointment I always said that if we go down then he has failed and we start again with a new manager next season.The appointment of Big Sam was always with the thinking that his track record tells you that he is proven at keeping teams up and changing there fortunes.My big fear was that we were going from one style to another and the players haven’t been good enough.Just for an example if Allardyce had took over from that team Pulis left do you think we would of stopped up? easily stopped up in my opinion.Unfortunately Allardyce has bitten off more than he can chew with this job and his own circumstances of been out of work for a few years meant that he became desperate to get back in knowing that there was only ever going to be a handful to chose from.At the height of his strong profile of ten years back he would of looked at this squad of players and wouldn’t of touched the job.Please don’t tell me Bilic would of kept us up as well because we were still conceding chance after chance when he was here.Get to the end of the season and if as expected we get relegated, then go after Appleton.
Huggybear Wrote:As one of the few fans who wasn’t against the Allardyce appointment I always said that if we go down then he has failed and we start again with a new manager next season.The appointment of Big Sam was always with the thinking that his track record tells you that he is proven at keeping teams up and changing there fortunes.My big fear was that we were going from one style to another and the players haven’t been good enough.Just for an example if Allardyce had took over from that team Pulis left do you think we would of stopped up? easily stopped up in my opinion.Unfortunately Allardyce has bitten off more than he can chew with this job and his own circumstances of been out of work for a few years meant that he became desperate to get back in knowing that there was only ever going to be a handful to chose from.At the height of his strong profile of ten years back he would of looked at this squad of players and wouldn’t of touched the job.Please don’t tell me Bilic would of kept us up as well because we were still conceding chance after chance when he was here.Get to the end of the season and if as expected we get relegated, then go after Appleton.
Good post. My onions too FWIW.
(02-08-2021, 10:15 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote:

That's how I read it at the time. The club may have a break clause as well, though.

Madeley says that's how it appears.

https://readwestbrom.com/2021/02/10/sam-...-contract/
I know I posted I thought he would go at the end of this month, but when I think about this I tend to agree with a poster on another site who says , Sam Allardyce looks to have sorted out a short term problem with the addition of Yukoslu for a loan fee and wages to cover the back four. Now he looked better in 15 minutes than anyone at our club has looked since Yacob. This is a position that Bilic could not cover in 18 months it’s took Allardyce 6 weeks. Even I when we get relegated I think it’s right to give Allardyce a chance he would sort out the back four. He has also bought in a striker who looks better than anything we have on our books. Now I didn’t want him and if he does go I will not worry but I think the man is cleverer than any of us are giving him credit for. So yes I would keep him and give him a chance to revamp the side in the summer.
(02-10-2021, 12:13 PM)wba13 Wrote: I know I posted I thought he would go at the end of this month, but when I think about this I tend to agree with a poster on another site who says , Sam Allardyce looks to have sorted out a short term problem with the addition of Yukoslu for a loan fee and wages to cover the back four.  Now he looked better in 15 minutes than anyone at our club has looked since Yacob. This is a position that Bilic could not cover in 18 months it’s took Allardyce 6 weeks. Even I when we get relegated I think it’s right to give Allardyce a chance he would sort out the back four. He has also bought in a striker who looks better than anything we have on our books. Now I didn’t want him and if he does go I will not worry but I think the man is cleverer than any of us are giving him credit for. So yes I would keep him and give him a chance to revamp the side in the summer.

Diagne has played 3 games. Okay has played 15 minutes. To declare both as World beaters and better than anything we’ve had is a little premature. Also, you allude to Sam sorting our defence out Are you sure, he’s made it worse so far?
(02-10-2021, 12:37 PM)Dumbo Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 12:13 PM)wba13 Wrote: I know I posted I thought he would go at the end of this month, but when I think about this I tend to agree with a poster on another site who says , Sam Allardyce looks to have sorted out a short term problem with the addition of Yukoslu for a loan fee and wages to cover the back four.  Now he looked better in 15 minutes than anyone at our club has looked since Yacob. This is a position that Bilic could not cover in 18 months it’s took Allardyce 6 weeks. Even I when we get relegated I think it’s right to give Allardyce a chance he would sort out the back four. He has also bought in a striker who looks better than anything we have on our books. Now I didn’t want him and if he does go I will not worry but I think the man is cleverer than any of us are giving him credit for. So yes I would keep him and give him a chance to revamp the side in the summer.

Diagne has played 3 games. Okay has played 15 minutes. To declare both as World beaters and better than anything we’ve had is a little premature. Also, you allude to Sam sorting our defence out Are you sure, he’s made it worse so far?

Don’t know where you get your facts from I have not said there world beaters, that’s just you dramatising what I said. 
Bilic spent 18 months playing without help for the back four, Allardyce bought in a player in that position as I said looked better than anything we tried in the last 18 months. Also after 3 games Diagne has looked better than any other striker we have played this season. So please don’t make out I’m saying things that I have not said.   Rolleyes