Gold
(02-09-2021, 03:11 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: I can't see the intrinsic value in nothing.

Quite. I see the world leader in dodgy paint jobs and panel gaps big enough to get your fist in has lumped on for $1.5 billion.
Protheroe Wrote:
DJPunkRoc Wrote:I can't see the intrinsic value in nothing.

Quite. I see the world leader in dodgy paint jobs and panel gaps big enough to get your fist in has lumped on for $1.5 billion.

Yes. He appears to really want it to work. Something more than slippy about that dude.
(02-09-2021, 05:26 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:

Yes. He appears to really want it to work. Something more than slippy about that dude.

Very. But if, like me, you're invested directly in Tesla or via anything "growth" managed by Baillie Gifford you've got a lot to thank him for too. I'm in real double-bind with Musk - his products are crap, the valuation of his company is wild, he's personally questionable, but still I'm questioning whether or not to take profits.
This thread has caught a whopper!
Protheroe Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:

Very. But if, like me, you're invested directly in Tesla or via anything "growth" managed by Baillie Gifford you've got a lot to thank him for too. I'm in real double-bind with Musk - his products are crap, the valuation of his company is wild, he's personally questionable, but still I'm questioning whether or not to take profits.

Is that so? I only know 2 Tesla owners and they are well pleased with their cars. In fact they're like walking, talking adverts for them. Personally I love  internal combustion engines and find Teslas a bit boring.
(02-09-2021, 07:43 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:

Is that so? I only know 2 Tesla owners and they are well pleased with their cars. In fact they're like walking, talking adverts for them. Personally I love  internal combustion engines and find Teslas a bit boring.

There are well established issues with build quality, Tesla don't have high tolerances, have famously struggled to move to high volume manufacturing and their QA is very lacking as they don't have the expertise of established automakers.

Personally I love electric cars, the torque is amazing and a lot less can go wrong as there's very few moving parts, but what I hate the most is manufacturers putting touch screens in everything in electric cars (that's seeping over to hybrids and ICE) to make them seem "futuristic", physical buttons are easier and safer.
(02-09-2021, 07:43 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:

Musk has admitted shoddy workmanship. Paint jobs were appalling when they attempted to ramp up volume. Tesla ranks last on the JD Power IQS. You can literally get your fist in the panel gaps.

If I'd spent God knows what on a Tesla I'd be in denial too. Fortunately I spent nine grand on a 21-year old Maserati &  four grand on a 20 year old Alfa - and I know exactly what I'm in for.
Borin' Baggie Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:Quite. I see the world leader in dodgy paint jobs and panel gaps big enough to get your fist in has lumped on for $1.5 billion.

There are well established issues with build quality, Tesla don't have high tolerances, have famously struggled to move to high volume manufacturing and their QA is very lacking as they don't have the expertise of established automakers.

Personally I love electric cars, the torque is amazing and a lot less can go wrong as there's very few moving parts, but what I hate the most is manufacturers putting touch screens in everything in electric cars (that's seeping over to hybrids and ICE) to make them seem "futuristic", physical buttons are easier and safer.

I don't deny that. I just like petrol engines and am not too keen on the disposable nature of all those sealed units. Many of my tools are now cordless and they are clean, efficient, quiet and there's no fumes (and 1st choice for most jobs), but compared to petrol, diesel, 2 stroke, they ain't as much fun. They definitely aren't repairable either.
(02-09-2021, 08:36 PM)Tom Joad Wrote:
Borin' Baggie Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:
Protheroe Wrote:
Tom Joad Wrote:Yes. He appears to really want it to work. Something more than slippy about that dude.

I don't deny that. I just like petrol engines and am not too keen on the disposable nature of all those sealed units. Many of my tools are now cordless and they are clean, efficient, quiet and there's no fumes (and 1st choice for most jobs), but compared to petrol, diesel, 2 stroke, they ain't as much fun. They definitely aren't repairable either.

Nah, fuck diesel. Smells like shit and gives me flashbacks of trying to learn the Diesel Cycle for my first degree.

I like ICE cars as well, but having driven an electric car (which I suggest you do, even for a test drive or something) the only thing that really you miss is the sound. The driving experience is different but still fun especially with how quick it can accelerate. With respect to repairability, it's not like modern ICEs are very easy to repair anyway with how dependant they are on the various computer systems and electric cars have so few moving parts that they're a lot less likely to go wrong and when they do they're technically easier to repair albeit more intensive (if that makes sense).
Funnily enough, I love the languid pick-up of a diesel from low revs, and the engine sound from inside the car. Outside at tickover maybe not so much.

Half a lifetime ago I'd leave my 1350 Alfasud in third, just for the fun of taking it up to 8,500 rpm and listening to the noise. That was then...