Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gutted but proud
(07-11-2018, 09:26 PM)Fido Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 09:24 PM)Mayo Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 08:53 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: My boy in tears too. I'm gutted but can never get as upset by England as I do Albion.
 Nearly 50 and seen neither in a final.

Ditto - wrong side of 50 now. This was as good a chance as I think I'll see and for me Southgate blew it. 
I get how well he comes across and we got further than expected but it fell nicely and a better manager may have taken advantage.  I think he will get the job for a while now and sadly I think that means we will not get much further forward. A decent bloke though who you can get behind unlike Fat Sam for example. Must be a better option somewhere though...

I would love to hear a list of better alternatives. He got loads more right than he did wrong.

I don't have a list - thankfully not my job - if it were i think i coukd probably provide one. He was ok as a club manager but not great and same for England for me. I can't see it getting better under him but would love to be wrong. He could get better of course but also it could yet end in tears.
youngest squad we’ve taken to a World Cup and they exceeded most people’s expectations. They came through a few tests on the way and finally, we shook the penalty shootout jinx off our backs.
For a first tournament for that team we did excellently and I have a feeling that as these players mature, things will get better.

(07-11-2018, 09:28 PM)Fido Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 09:27 PM)TTM Wrote: Strangely enough I feel nothing compared to the night of Foster having his episode at Villa park, but it’s a big step on the way to actually enjoying watching my national team again. They’re all very good, humble, hard working lads - made a far better fist of it than the “golden generation “

We had better players on paper then and a variety of managers who couldn't get a tune out of them too.

The golden generation were just a bunch of over paid over hyped wankers in an england shirt all that was wrong with english football , these lads seem to genuinely care and people can connect with them already they have acheived more than the so called golden generation and hopefully the best to come from them IMVHO
(07-11-2018, 09:33 PM)Mayo Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 08:53 PM)cunninghamismagic Wrote: My boy in tears too. I'm gutted but can never get as upset by England as I do Albion.

Ditto - wrong side of 50 now. This was as good a chance as I think I'll see and for me Southgate blew it. 
I get how well he comes across and we got further than expected but it fell nicely and a better manager may have taken advantage.  I think he will get the job for a while now and sadly I think that means we will not get much further forward. A decent bloke though who you can get behind unlike Fat Sam for example. Must be a better option somewhere though...

I would love to hear a list of better alternatives. He got loads more right than he did wrong.

I don't have a list - thankfully not my job - if it were i think i coukd probably provide one. He was ok as a club manager but not great and same for England for me. I can't see it getting better under him but would love to be wrong. He could get better of course but also it could yet end in tears.

Mayo in overly criticising a manager shocker...
(07-11-2018, 09:35 PM)King Astle Wrote: youngest squad we’ve taken to a World Cup and they exceeded most people’s expectations. They came through a few tests on the way and finally, we shook the penalty shootout jinx off our backs.
For a first tournament for that team we did excellently and I have a feeling that as these players mature, things will get better.

I’d have taken quarters as a success. Southgate has earned the right to go into the next tournament with his head held high.
Who was the Golden generation? I suppose the hope is these players don't get ahead of themselves after this - the media has started to hype them up a tad.
I hurts a little more just because of the way it’s fallen for us.

Will we ever have a better run of the draw? Or a will the like of Spain, Germs, Argentina, Portugal etc etc have such poor tournaments again? A massive opportunity.

Still proud though.
(07-11-2018, 09:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

From the twat who thinks winning the championship title was not an achievement. You are just trying to cause trouble again. Well go fuck yourself you argumentative cunt.
(07-11-2018, 09:37 PM)ColliersWoodBaggie Wrote: Who was the Golden generation? I suppose the hope is these players don't get ahead of themselves after this - the media has started to hype them up a tad.

It's a very good point. For multi-millionaires, this lot are as likeable as you're going to get. That could all change with a few ill-judged adventures with our press watching and waiting. It would be a real shame for the connection to be broken again.

(07-11-2018, 09:41 PM)Mayo Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 09:36 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(07-11-2018, 09:24 PM)Mayo Wrote: Ditto - wrong side of 50 now. This was as good a chance as I think I'll see and for me Southgate blew it. 

From the twat who thinks winning the championship title was not an achievement. You are just trying to cause trouble again. Well go fuck yourself you argumentative cunt.

Southgate’s squad were paid more than Croatia’s. Bullied.