Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
53 years ive been alive
England and Albion got to 3 finals before i was 5 and knew nothing about football.Since then i think 8 semi finals and lost every bloody one.I sat through the second half last night thinking i really dont like football very much.It genuinely made me feel ill cause i knew what was coming.
(07-12-2018, 08:07 AM)Jezstatham Wrote: England and Albion got to 3 finals before i was 5 and knew nothing about football.Since then i think 8 semi finals and lost every bloody one.I sat through the second half last night thinking i really dont like football very much.It genuinely made me feel ill cause i knew what was coming.

Me too Jez. Same age and same tale of woe!
The highs and lows of football. Imagine if we were born in Bavaria and supported Germany and Munich? Tons of success but I bet the lows (losing finals or getting knocked out when you expect to win) still hurt. Here's hoping for a good season with the Albion - I did at least see them win at Wembley under Ossie and win the championship trophy under Mowbray but being of a similar vintage to ye have had plenty of lows!
Just a little bit younger lads (50 this year) but there is a inevitability about it all. Because getting to the final was the goal, the losing in the semi to a team we could have beaten was always the way it would end. I was quite accepting at the end probably because of all the nearly moments - I actually got more emotional after the Sweden game when I allowed that "maybe this could happen" to slip into the mentality.
We lost to qpr at wembley in67 i forgot so thats 4 before i was 5 years old.But ive just remembered we did get to the final of the tennant caledonian cup in 1978 and won .However it was only a 4 team tournament!!
Pretty much the same for me, my dad took me to every round in 68 except the final !! (lads only booze trip from the hollybush in Smethwick) so I feel your pain but a little bit of me thinks ain’t this why we love our team and the game of football? Years ago many teams could possibly win a trophy now it’s such a small minority for reasons we all know, we just gotta keep on keeping on ay we
In my lifetime it’s four semi finals Albion and England put together (not counting playoffs).
(07-12-2018, 08:24 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Just a little bit younger lads (50 this year) but there is a inevitability about it all. Because getting to the final was the goal, the losing in the semi to a team we could have beaten was always the way it would end. I was quite accepting at the end probably because of all the nearly moments - I actually got more emotional after the Sweden game when I allowed that "maybe this could happen" to slip into the mentality.

Similar age, and I'm fed up of always losing semis.

Ok so I've seen a few promotions, but nothing major. I'm beginning to think I will never see West Brom or England win anything in my lifetime. This is what makes West Brom's recent attitude to cups so galling.
(07-12-2018, 09:31 AM)Kit Kat chunky Wrote:
(07-12-2018, 08:24 AM)baggy1 Wrote: Just a little bit younger lads (50 this year) but there is a inevitability about it all. Because getting to the final was the goal, the losing in the semi to a team we could have beaten was always the way it would end. I was quite accepting at the end probably because of all the nearly moments - I actually got more emotional after the Sweden game when I allowed that "maybe this could happen" to slip into the mentality.

Similar age, and I'm fed up of always losing semis.

I have some little blue pills that tend to do the trick for me if you'd like some.
Yes me too - 54 any time soon and i felt sure last night would be the night the semi final jinx would be broken. Not a cup I know, but at least we beat Wo1ves5 in the Play Off semi ! Last night felt nothing like the journety back from Highbury though - don't recall speaking the whole way back Sad