We’re all going on a Summer holiday
Over 700,000 done today. As long as the supplies keep rolling I can't see why we'd need another lockdown; certainly not on a national scale.

I'm assuming the Covid vaccine can be tweaked to accommodate variants anyway; isn't that what happens most years with the flu jab?
Heart 
(03-20-2021, 11:47 PM)Ossian Wrote: Over 700,000 done today. As long as the supplies keep rolling I can't see why we'd need another lockdown; certainly not on a national scale.

I'm assuming the Covid vaccine can be tweaked to accommodate variants anyway; isn't that what happens most years with the flu jab?

It is.

But Covid is very different. And we understand very little at present.

For example Flu has never really been an issue with under 50s and yet Covid, or rather Long Covid, has/is.

Comparing Flu and Covid is a dangerous Path to tread.

As I said, I think this summer will largely resemble last summer with the government giving more freedom thanks to vaccination. I'm really not sure about next autumn and winter though. That's a worry.
(03-20-2021, 08:59 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 08:51 PM)Baggie_Nick Wrote: Tits up by Autumn again...
Why?
The vaccine lowers hospital admissions. We only need to lock down to relieve hospital admissions.

I swear some people love the misery.
Yep.

(03-20-2021, 09:09 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Honestly, if you haven't been reading science papers, research journals, please don't start making predictions, it simply increases the paranoia of people and I'm trying to keep this place clear of that.
Ahh, but you know anecdotal evidence and bald, outrages statements from the moronic Twateratie, which don't need proving are to be believed more than facts.   Angel

And good luck with that!
Herd immunity is potentially not possible without vaccination of children and adults.

Vaccination
(03-21-2021, 08:09 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Herd immunity is potentially not possible without vaccination of children and adults.

Vaccination
'However, he cautioned, that for many vaccines designed to protect against infectious diseases it is usually possible to get outbreaks under control without immunising everyone. “So if, for coronavirus, it turned out that we really do have to immunise everybody that would be an exception – it wouldn’t be the rule,” he said.'

However, with the finite arsenal of global vaccine supplies, a key argument against vaccinating young age-groups in the near future is that high-risk groups in low and middle and income countries should be vaccinated first, said Song.

The decision to immunise children should be based on “whether or not it needs to be done”, added Finn. “And if it doesn’t need to be done, you shouldn’t do it.”'
(03-21-2021, 08:25 AM)strawman Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 08:09 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Herd immunity is potentially not possible without vaccination of children and adults.

Vaccination
'However, he cautioned, that for many vaccines designed to protect against infectious diseases it is usually possible to get outbreaks under control without immunising everyone. “So if, for coronavirus, it turned out that we really do have to immunise everybody that would be an exception – it wouldn’t be the rule,” he said.'

However, with the finite arsenal of global vaccine supplies, a key argument against vaccinating young age-groups in the near future is that high-risk groups in low and middle and income countries should be vaccinated first, said Song.

The decision to immunise children should be based on “whether or not it needs to be done”, added Finn. “And if it doesn’t need to be done, you shouldn’t do it.”'

Which is why I said potentially... here’s the first bit of the story. People are capable of reading the entire article I’m sure.

Vaccinating children and teens could be key to stifling the pandemic, experts have said, as clinical trials begin to test Covid-19 vaccines in young people.
While Covid-19 is associated with a considerably lower burden of morbidity and mortality in young people, and there is evidence that children may be less likely to acquire the infection, the role of children in transmission is unclear, according to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Until everybody – including children – is vaccinated, said John Edmunds, a member of the UK government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Sunday, there remained a “significant risk of a resurgence” of the virus.
The virus can also cause asymptomatic infections across all age groups, so, in a sense, immunising children will protect the elderly, added Stanley Plotkin, who invented the rubella vaccine, co-invented the rotavirus vaccine and helped develop other vaccines, including those for anthrax, polio, and rabies.
“I cannot imagine how we could even hope to eradicate the virus, unless we are willing to immunise the majority of the population,” he said.
(03-21-2021, 08:35 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

Vaccination

Which is why I said potentially... shall we put the first bit of the story up as well?

You can do - I'll leave it to you to put the miserable stuff in - after all it's what you thrive on

Vaccination

Which is why I said potentially... shall we put the first bit of the story up as well?

Vaccinating children and teens could be key to stifling the pandemic, experts have said, as clinical trials begin to test Covid-19 vaccines in young people.
While Covid-19 is associated with a considerably lower burden of morbidity and mortality in young people, and there is evidence that children may be less likely to acquire the infection, the role of children in transmission is unclear, according to the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health.
Until everybody – including children – is vaccinated, said John Edmunds, a member of the UK government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (Sage) on Sunday, there remained a “significant risk of a resurgence” of the virus.
The virus can also cause asymptomatic infections across all age groups, so, in a sense, immunising children will protect the elderly, added Stanley Plotkin, who invented the rubella vaccine, co-invented the rotavirus vaccine and helped develop other vaccines, including those for anthrax, polio, and rabies.
I cannot imagine how we could even hope to eradicate the virus, unless we are willing to immunise the majority of the population,” he said.

Ah he's on about eradicating it -

We have never eradicated flu, colds or any coronavirus. We live with them, we vaccinate the most at risk and then learn to live with it. Some will get ill as with flu but recover at home, some will require hospital treatment as with flu and alas as with flu, some will not recover. It will become endemic as with other winter illnesses
(03-21-2021, 08:41 AM)strawman Wrote:

Vaccination

You can do - I'll leave it to you to put the miserable stuff in - after all it's what you thrive on

Vaccination

I cannot imagine how we could even hope to eradicate the virus, unless we are willing to immunise the majority of the population,” he said.

We have never eradicated flu, colds or any coronavirus. We live with them, we vaccinate the most at risk and then learn to live with it. Some will get ill as with flu but recover at home, some will require hospital treatment as with flu and alas as with flu, some will not recover. It will become endemic as with other winter illnesses

It’s not miserable it’s what a leading expert has said. With all due respect Strawman I’d rather we listened to experts than those who say let’s just learn to live with it. This isn’t the flu as you know.
(03-21-2021, 08:47 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 08:41 AM)strawman Wrote:

Vaccination

Vaccination

It’s not miserable it’s what a leading expert has said. I appreciate that a couple of you thrive on trying to point score with me at every opportunity.

Ahh diddums then - yesterday you were moaning about about people all talking about the same thing all the time - maybe take a break if your bored or feeling a  bit put upon

[/quote]

It’s not miserable it’s what a leading expert has said. I appreciate that a couple of you thrive on trying to point score with me at every opportunity.
[/quote]

Ahh diddums then - yesterday you were moaning about about people all talking about the same thing all the time - maybe take a break if your bored or feeling a  bit put upon
[/quote]

I will carry on SM. Btw I wasn’t moaning I was pointing out to a poster who complained that the flag thread should be moved to the politics section because it wasn’t football. That there wasn’t much to discuss with regards to football apart from the board cliches...(let’s not misrepresent what was said)

(03-20-2021, 09:32 AM)SONGTHRUSH Wrote: Talking of shite, can't we keep this shit on the politics part of the forum. We used to discuss football in the dim and distant past.

You could start a thread about football? 

Some ideas...

Second tier or not? 
The right way to play football? 
Who do you dislike like more Wolves or Villa? 

In short we have nowt to say about the football, we know we are going down and in a few days time we can talk about the next match and how crap Allardyce is and link ourselves with an ex-player as our next manager etc