The 1982 Semi v QPR
Out of morbid curiosity , having stumbled on it on You Tube , I watched the 15 minute highlights(!?) of the game as I dont remember much about it..not that there was anythin !!!
Blimey we were crap that day.
However , the thing I cant get my head around is that the commentator says at the start of the game that theres a crowd of 42k and Highbury held 60k at the time.
I cant believe it was 18k below capacity..for an FACup semi ???
I know QPR would have less than us but wouldnt we have been able to fill that. We took 42k to Wembley in 93 for a much lower grade game.
Any thoughts ??
Yep, at that time early 80s attendances fell off a cliff everywhere. A mixture of football hooligans and many working men being put on the dole by Mrs T.
We were averaging 27000 in 79 but just 3 years later were getting gates half that for some games.
Same tale the length of the land.
The official attendance was 45, 015. Albion took over 25k 100+ miles to London in an era when attendances were dropping and we were struggling that season. Also i believe we then held the record for Semi Final appearances so nothing new for us.. QPR took 18k 10 miles across London.
The missing Albion fans were bloody lucky.
It was jam packed where I was.
My wife paid at the gate. So there were plenty of spaces.
(03-29-2021, 09:49 PM)baggiebloke Wrote: It was jam packed where I was.

That's my recollection, too. In fact recall fights almost breaking out as it pretty crushed where we stood.
Regarding the OP observation that we took 42000 to Wembley in 93, you have to remember it was our first appearance there for 23 years. People were also craving any sort of success following our demise since the mid 80s. It may also be that it represented some sort of redemption for those who suffered the heartbreak of 78 and 82. And now it's another 28 years since that Wembley success.....
(03-29-2021, 10:13 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:

That's my recollection, too. In fact recall fights almost breaking out as it pretty crushed where we stood.
Regarding the OP observation that we took 42000 to Wembley in 93, you have to remember it was our first appearance there for 23 years. People were also craving any sort of success following our demise since the mid 80s. It may also be that it represented some sort of redemption for those who suffered the heartbreak of 78 and 82. And now it's another 28 years since that Wembley success.....

I remember seeing someone covered in blood when walking from the coach to the ground.

And I picked up a pound note.

Still got my ticket..
Never sure about the accuracy of attendances in those days. Attendance for 78 semi final was 51k. There is no way you could have fitted 9k extra in that day. Both Ipswich and Albion ends were heaving and all seats were taken
(03-29-2021, 10:13 PM)DemonicBaggie Wrote:

Appreciate that yeh...but this was an FA Cup semi..I know we had done a few in our history but ive been goin since 67 n still view an facup semi as massive.
Fair points tho...

(03-29-2021, 09:24 PM)Cunninghamismagic Wrote: The official attendance was 45, 015. Albion took over 25k 100+ miles to London in an era when attendances were dropping and we were struggling that season. Also i believe we then held the record for Semi Final appearances so nothing new for us.. QPR took 18k 10 miles across London.

I dont remember gettin the feeling ...its nothing new.. :-))..but see your point/s