Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Loan rules
We are allowed 8 loans, but only 5 loanees can be included in a matchday squad. That is very clear. 

However, I’m confused about one part of the loan rules and hopefully somebody knows the answer.

It seems that if we sign a player on a loan with an option to buy, if we exercise that option then the player no longer counts as one of our 8 permitted loan signings. But everything that I am reading indicates that the option to buy can be exercised at any time, not just during a transfer window. This seems odd, as it means that in effect there is no window.

At present we have 3 loans - Gayle, Barnes and the lad from City. All are straight loans with no option to buy.

It seems clear that we need at least 3 more players - a RB, a CM and a striker. If we take all 3 as loans, then only 5 of the 6 could be on our match day squad at the same time.

But if the RB was Joel Ward and we had an option to buy, then it seems to me that we could exercise that option immediately, without waiting till January, so that in effect all 6 loanees (assuming we do get 6) could all play in the same match day squad.

Have I got that correct?  It seems such a simple way to get around the transfer window restriction.
(08-12-2018, 10:27 PM)It is. Pragmatist Wrote: We are allowed 8 loans, but only 5 loanees can be included in a matchday squad. That is very clear. 

However, I’m confused about one part of the loan rules and hopefully somebody knows the answer.

It seems that if we sign a player on a loan with an option to buy, if we exercise that option then the player no longer counts as one of our 8 permitted loan signings. But everything that I am reading indicates that the option to buy can be exercised at any time, not just during a transfer window. This seems odd, as it means that in effect there is no window.

At present we have 3 loans - Gayle, Barnes and the lad from City. All are straight loans with no option to buy.

It seems clear that we need at least 3 more players - a RB, a CM and a striker. If we take all 3 as loans, then only 5 of the 6 could be on our match day squad at the same time.

But if the RB was Joel Ward and we had an option to buy, then it seems to me that we could exercise that option immediately, without waiting till January, so that in effect all 6 loanees (assuming we do get 6) could all play in the same match day squad.

Have I got that correct?  It seems such a simple way to get around the transfer window restriction.

It is. This is why we signed Hegazi on Dec 18th last year!
I think this loan window now is going to turn into a proper bun fight now.

Bruce has said villa are going to be really busy, Rowett still wants a couple, Swansea have sold half their squad, TP is spouting his usual bollocks about how he's been left threadbare at Boro and we desperately need 3 positions filling.

Undoubtedly we are all going to be going after the same players at some stage. 

Let the meltdown commence!  Big Grin
Higher rates of interest in the loans' market? What does the Old Lady in Threadneedle Street say about that?
(08-12-2018, 10:27 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: We are allowed 8 loans, but only 5 loanees can be included in a matchday squad. That is very clear. 

That is correct but you wouldn't necessarily buy the player if you hadn't got the funds or wer're under strict FFP regulations. The case with Hegazi was that we wanted to tie him down as clubs were starting to take notice and we needed further space for more loan options (different rules in the Prem). He was cheaper to buy than others and we had a pre-agreement so triggered it. We then spent what we had left with regards to FFP on a bloke that managed 112 minutes.

It is a way around it but the windows have mainly been put in to stop Premier League clubs disrupting lower league players, the FA aren't bothered as much with players moving a division down as in most cases the player won't be playing anyway so it's hardly disruptive.