Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A mitigating factor?
Big Dave said Gibbs had been suffering from a virus. He seemed set to name him on the bench but in the end had to pull him from the squad.

Such a raft of poor, lethargic performances this evening. I wonder if a few were under the weather.
It's plausible, but that still doesn't explain the poor tactics?
The tactics were the same as against Stoke when we were all more than happy.

There may be something in that Enzo, doesn't excuse the lack of changes as the game went on though which is my main criticism.
(09-15-2018, 07:57 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: The tactics were the same as against Stoke when we were all more than happy.

There may be something in that Enzo, doesn't excuse the lack of changes as the game went on though which is my main criticism.

I also felt the substitutions were made too late. That said, apart from Barry there was nobody on the bench who could really have affected the game. Brunt, Livermore and Bartley all needed hooking.

A change in formation may have helped, but I just don’t think BD has the experience to execute it in-game.
(09-15-2018, 08:25 AM)Gewonenzow Wrote:
(09-15-2018, 07:57 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: The tactics were the same as against Stoke when we were all more than happy.

I also felt the substitutions were made too late. That said, apart from Barry there was nobody on the bench who could really have affected the game. Brunt, Livermore and Bartley all needed hooking.

A change in formation may have helped, but I just don’t think BD has the experience to execute it in-game.

Surely this is where BD should be trusting Jones to make that call given his experience?
(09-15-2018, 08:28 AM)Banbury Baggie Wrote:

Surely this is where BD should be trusting Jones to make that call given his experience?

That’s a fair comment. Perhaps what I should have said is that if you’ve never practiced the formation in training then you can’t really switch to it mid-game. They haven’t been working with the players long enough to get one formation right, let alone two.
(09-15-2018, 08:38 AM)Gewonenzow Wrote:

That’s a fair comment. Perhaps what I should have said is that if you’ve never practiced the formation in training then you can’t really switch to it mid-game. They haven’t been working with the players long enough to get one formation right, let alone two.
Blues didn't enjoy the last ten we actually ran at them, with a bit of pace. I would have found a way to get Burke on. His pace might have unlocked them.

I'm beginning to suspect that Jones is the champion of 3-5-2, and has persuaded Darren Moore that it's the way to go. I'd be happy with a back four of Mears, Dawson, Hegazi, Gibbs (yes even Mears, as we let Nyom go), but I suspect it will always be three in the middle. Also I guess Bartley is undroppable, no matter how uncomfortable he looks on the left of the three. There will be no change in formation.
(09-15-2018, 08:57 AM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote:

I'm beginning to suspect that Jones is the champion of 3-5-2, and has persuaded Darren Moore that it's the way to go. I'd be happy with a back four of Mears, Dawson, Hegazi, Gibbs (yes even Mears, as we let Nyom go), but I suspect it will always be three in the middle. Also I guess Bartley is undroppable, no matter how uncomfortable he looks on the left of the three. There will be no change in formation.

Agree with Jones perhaps being the advocate of 3-5-2. Plus the other points re subs.  I think that even with the gaps in the squad we still have better options than most. I can't see any reason that Barry couldn't do a better  job as a CB as Bartley if we want to play out of defence. I'm all for being patient but we must have a plan B tactic.  Last night was screaming out for change to 4-4-2 or 4-5-1.