Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BD’s solution to our current issues
He must see the issues are around the CBS and the CMs.....

He is very reluctant to play Harper or Field so assume these are not solutions.

That leaves Barry and Wes H as options, a combined age of over 70........playing in an area of the pitch where you need to cover as much ground as possible, protect the defence and create chances for others.

Playing 3 at the back leaves no real option to drop Bartley except playing Tosin, again BD seems reluctant or lacking in confidence to take chances with the kids, hence he has brought in some very old heads.

He needs to gamble a little with Harper, Field, Tosin, Edwards and Leko.....yes they may make mistakes but have energy and enthusiasm and will only improve with experience.

Will Bartley get better? Will Brunt suddenly find his touch of 3 years ago? Will a 36 year old be the way forward?

Come on BD show some balls and go for it........do not repeat the error of your final game last season when filling the team with loanees when youngsters could have been give some game time......
(09-16-2018, 08:01 AM)Captainmarvel Wrote: He must see the issues are around the CBS and the CMs.....

That leaves Barry and Wes H as options, a combined age of over 70........playing in an area of the pitch where you need to cover as much ground as possible, protect the defence and create chances for others.

Playing 3 at the back leaves no real option to drop Bartley except playing Tosin, again BD seems reluctant or lacking in confidence to take chances with the kids, hence he has brought in some very old heads.

He needs to gamble a little with Harper, Field, Tosin, Edwards and Leko.....yes they may make mistakes but have energy and enthusiasm and will only improve with experience.

Will Bartley get better? Will Brunt suddenly find his touch of 3 years ago? Will a 36 year old be the way forward?

Come on BD show some balls and go for it........do not repeat the error of your final game last season when filling the team with loanees when youngsters could have been give some game time......

Maybe Big Dave is trying to win as many games as he can by playing the best players available to him.

That’s ultimately what keeps the fans happy, his paymasters happy and him in a job.

Fans are crying out for Harper because Brunt and Livermore are struggling, but can anyone say with certainty that Harper is going to improve the team, right now? No. In fact, the vast majority have never even seen him play. The calls to drop Brunt and/or Livermore from central midfield are reasonable because both have been having stinkers, but the call to replace one or both of them with 18-year old kids is borne of desperation. It’s happening because the 18-year old kids are all we’ve got.

Harper may be a decent prospect and he may go on to have a good career, but he’s not being touted as the next Frank Lampard. He couldn’t break into Blackburn’s team in League 1. The expectation for him to perform in a crucial central midfield role for us would be ridiculous. One or two mistakes and you know exactly what would happen: “Ee’s fuckin’ useless! Gerrim off to Walsall. etc.” Same goes for Field; a die-hard Albion fan who, according to certain accounts, may already be having difficulties dealing with the expectation.

Not fair on them; not fair on Big Dave; not fair, even, on the fans, who would prefer to be patient with young lads breaking through but can’t contain their frustration at the team’s performances.

These lads should be out on loan, with a mission to make an impact for their respective clubs and prove they’re ready to make the step up. That’s exactly what Harvey Barnes is doing for Leicester, with us.

Failing that, their contributions should be limited to substitution appearances here and there, preferably in low pressure situations, along with some opportunities in the cup. Build their contributions until such time as he can’t justify leaving them out.

If that’s what Big Dave has in mind, I think he’s absolutely right.
playing the youngters is tbe only way forward for me .With our poor transfer window give these kids a chance and what they lack in experience they will more than make up in effort and energy .It can't be much pleasure for Brunty having younger and quicker opposition players buzzing around you and i'm sure the likes of Harper and Field could do the same to other teams .
I am of the era where the reserve team was exactly that and anyone playing in the reserve side would be expected to step up and take the same position in the first team if required. This is also how the Shankly Liverpool machine worked. I don't see the point of nurturing these kids if you are not going to give them a chance. Instead we, and the likes of Steve Bruce prefer to play older players out of position which exposes them every bit as a younger player would be exposed. Then we go and get another older player on loan for his "experience". I would be disheartened by the arrival of the bloke from Norwich. As a midfielder on the fringe of things I would think what the fuck do I have to do.

Much as I am very critical of Big Fat Ron, he never hesitated to play a kid who had been nurtured for that position.
Dave has had several chances to.bring a youngster on for the last 5 minutes, but it's just not happening?
(09-16-2018, 10:21 AM)Gewonenzow Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 08:01 AM)Captainmarvel Wrote: He must see the issues are around the CBS and the CMs.....

Maybe Big Dave is trying to win as many games as he can by playing the best players available to him.

That’s ultimately what keeps the fans happy, his paymasters happy and him in a job.

Fans are crying out for Harper because Brunt and Livermore are struggling, but can anyone say with certainty that Harper is going to improve the team, right now? No. In fact, the vast majority have never even seen him play. The calls to drop Brunt and/or Livermore from central midfield are reasonable because both have been having stinkers, but the call to replace one or both of them with 18-year old kids is borne of desperation. It’s happening because the 18-year old kids are all we’ve got.

Harper may be a decent prospect and he may go on to have a good career, but he’s not being touted as the next Frank Lampard. He couldn’t break into Blackburn’s team in League 1. The expectation for him to perform in a crucial central midfield role for us would be ridiculous. One or two mistakes and you know exactly what would happen: “Ee’s fuckin’ useless! Gerrim off to Walsall. etc.” Same goes for Field; a die-hard Albion fan who, according to certain accounts, may already be having difficulties dealing with the expectation.

Not fair on them; not fair on Big Dave; not fair, even, on the fans, who would prefer to be patient with young lads breaking through but can’t contain their frustration at the team’s performances.

These lads should be out on loan, with a mission to make an impact for their respective clubs and prove they’re ready to make the step up. That’s exactly what Harvey Barnes is doing for Leicester, with us.

Failing that, their contributions should be limited to substitution appearances here and there, preferably in low pressure situations, along with some opportunities in the cup. Build their contributions until such time as he can’t justify leaving them out.

If that’s what Big Dave has in mind, I think he’s absolutely right.

Correct. Conor Townsend has had one league game and people are already saying he's not good enough.

BD sees the players in training. If the kids were outshinig the seniors, they'd be getting picked.
The solution is blindingly simple.
Get players to play to their strengths and stop asking them to do things they can’t.
That’s it.
Play a couple of the kids. The argument of they aren't ready makes no sense. Are we saying Brunts not ready as he's off form. It's now or never. What are we waiting for.
Reluctance to change things earlier, make changes and drop players is a worry

I think there’s a couple of big decisions along the way on personal & tactics that will make or break our season.

In Megson time he was almost forced to go with 3 CB’s and that eventually lead to promotion. I. The Di Mateo promotion season, Cox & Moore we’re really struggling and he played just one striker with 5 midfield players

It’s about that ability to get it right with the players we’ve got available - at the current time I believe we’re doing ok despite not because of the selections
(09-16-2018, 11:13 AM)Baggie66 Wrote: The solution is blindingly simple.
Get players to play to their strengths and stop asking them to do things they can’t.
That’s it.

Exactly +1