Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kevin Beattie RIP
Hard as nails Ipswich and England defender died aged 64.

(09-16-2018, 02:51 PM)Dreamkiller Wrote: Hard as nails Ipswich and England defender died aged 64.

He was quality but had knees made of glass .
Can still see him pumping his fists in the air at Highbury in 1978, hated him that day but hope he rests in peace.
Quality defender, remember him scoring a belter when they beasted us at Portman Road one year.
There was a story doing the rounds that Beattie beat Stallone at arm wrestling after filming Escape to Victory.
Stallone went off in a bit of a huff apparently.
(09-16-2018, 04:09 PM)tiptontown Wrote: There was a story doing the rounds that Beattie beat Stallone at arm wrestling after filming Escape to Victory.
Stallone went off in a bit of a huff apparently.

"We had finished for the day and I was at the bar with Russell Osman and John Wark and we were winding each other up,” Beattie said. “Somehow we started chatting about arm wrestling and there was a lot of laughing and joking.

"I was just sitting there and Stallone came over and asked if I'd like to give him an arm wrestle. I said 'by all means, no problem'.

“He had muscles on his muscles but I don't remember him being that tall. I just thought I'd give it a go - I'd always been quite strong. Anyway I ended up beating him and I don't think he talked to me again for the rest of the film!

“Stallone got a bit of a shock but it's a good claim to fame. I guess I was naturally strong. I used to carry the bags of coal for my dad and when I was at the gym at Portman Road I was one of the only ones who could lift all the weights.”

KB - a Proper footballer - RIP
(09-16-2018, 04:41 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: KB - a Proper footballer - RIP

Totally agree, dictionary definition of whole hearted.
(09-16-2018, 05:12 PM)Shabby Russian Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 04:41 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: KB - a Proper footballer - RIP

Totally agree, dictionary definition of whole hearted.

Rated by many of their fans as Ipswich's  best ever player injury ruined his career
Best defender I ever saw. Maybe McGrath runs him close. I saw a good few Ipswich games back then and He was absolutely standout. Had problems with homesickness, although it would probably be given a more accurate diagnosis these days, that stopped him being an International success. RIP fella.