Furthest you’ve ever walked
I ran the Welsh 3000s
(05-30-2021, 09:01 PM)baggpuss Wrote: I ran the Welsh 3000s

Not to be sniffed at. A very tough day out.
Did one marathon (as a runner) many years ago - The Brum Peoples' Marathon; not the most scenic of courses, still got the commemorative vest. Stuck to halves and 10-milers thereafter, simply because the marathon training (50ish miles per week) meant I was too knackered for much else beyond sleeping and going to the pub.

We've done some hard walks in the Cairngorms - long walks in followed by a couple of the high summits and another long walk out. Never worked out the average speed - not much point when you're frequently stopping to watch wildlife - but we wouldn't be doing 4 miles an hour, and neither would anybody else over that kind of terrain.

Not that all the big hills are necessarily too demanding; depends on where the walk starts from; Cairn Gorm from the visitor centre car park is not quite a stroll, but hardly difficult. Its near neighbour Braeriach, on the other hand, is an altogether different proposition.
(05-30-2021, 08:12 PM)Duffers Wrote: London Marathon is the furthest I’ve ever ran.

Just realised I actually did 28 miles as I walked the two miles from my flat to the start line that morning.
In 1977 I walked through snowdrifts from Bromley/Kingswinford via Pensnett to West Brom (Johnsons Rolls at Church Lane).  About 12 miles.  Through deep snow drifts.  Did my job (charging the furnaces) and walked back. 

Did they give me a medal?  Did they give me thanks?  No, but I wasn't sacked.  Still, I fugged off PDQ.   A fuggin marathon?  Pffft.  I should have worn pink cowboy boots from Puerto Rico to show my contempt.  And my sense of style.  Peasants.
Loffin
(05-30-2021, 10:23 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 08:12 PM)Duffers Wrote: London Marathon is the furthest I’ve ever ran.

Just realised I actually did 28 miles as I walked the two miles from my flat to the start line that morning.

Yeh, but did you manage to walk that 2 miles, at 4.19 miles per hour though?

God knows how many I did. I remember the course coming up as further than 26.2 on my Garmin (probably because I kept going sideways to get more freebies from the crowds) but there is that long walk out the funnel at the end too (plus steps... good idea!). Then had to walk to find the hotel where the massage was waiting for me. The marathon was under 5 hours so could say 5.2 miles per hour
(05-31-2021, 07:54 AM)Lightnin Wrote:

God knows how many I did. I remember the course coming up as further than 26.2 on my Garmin (probably because I kept going sideways to get more freebies from the crowds) but there is that long walk out the funnel at the end too (plus steps... good idea!). Then had to walk to find the hotel where the massage was waiting for me. The marathon was under 5 hours so could say 5.2 miles per hour

Pleased to learn there was a happy ending Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(05-30-2021, 09:27 PM)Llandudno Baggie Wrote:
(05-30-2021, 09:01 PM)baggpuss Wrote: I ran the Welsh 3000s

Not to be sniffed at. A very tough day out.

Yes, done it twice now,could barely walk the next day both times!
Cannot believe that the record is now 4.10.48 (Finlay Wild).

https://www.ukclimbing.com/news/2019/05/...shoe-71955

Took us 11.15 (from memory) not including the walk up from Pen-y-pass and the long hike from Foel-Fras back to the car.