Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Career Advice
(10-14-2018, 02:52 PM)Fido Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 01:57 PM)Pertensio Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 12:04 PM)Ossian Wrote: My only advice is to take holidays.

Whatever it is you do day in day out, then get away from it a couple of times a year; well away - somewhere where it can't track you down; turn the mobile off if that's what it takes.

This

x10000

I can’t help that taking 10,000 holidays is the first step in the road to financial ruin.

pARp
(10-13-2018, 07:32 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote:
(10-13-2018, 01:25 PM)ItsAGoal Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:16 AM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 11:48 PM)ItsAGoal Wrote:
(10-08-2018, 03:31 PM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: I have been in the corporate world for 22 years now and whilst I tire of it most days (mainly the politics) I wouldn't want to be under the pressure of not having a guaranteed pay check each month. At some point (probably about 10-15 years time) I'll probably have enough to be able to pursue my real interest which is trading but until then I do it as an hobby. If you can take the pressure of not earning a consistent pay check I think the benefits are great

Yo Brats,
I like trading as well.  I started trading forex this year.  If you wanna have a chat about it, feel free to message me.  
Cheers
IAG

Forex is beyond me I think, I just stick to stocks although this week it's not been such a good week. I did go shopping yesterday though for a few I like that were suddenly 20% cheaper.

Same principles really - any commodities can be traded the same.  Good old fashioned trading off support and resistance.  For stock trading, you'd be wise to learn stuff around how price reacts off s/r pivots for example to make sure you're getting optimal profits.  Difference in forex is that it is a lot more liquid meaning that profits tend to be greater (as you can optimise your trading).  
Smile  What stocks to you trade?  Do you trade S&P500?  In the picture attached, price stopped in its tracks for good reason on the recent drop...

I have a diverse portfolio that includes S&P 500, FTSE, AIM, DAX and CAC at the moment.
I have part in high yielding slow growth stock, part in high tech stocks and then the fun part in very small companies on the AIM which either 5x in a year or crash and burn.
I don't go into fancy algorithms and just buy good companies that I hope will go up in the long term.
May be worth taking a punt on RWE. Stock has dropped dramatically the last cpl of weeks due to courts siding with protestors over a forest they wanted to mine for lignite. Think the stock is at the lowest price it has been for apporx 11 yrs roght now.

(10-14-2018, 05:03 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:16 AM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote:
(10-11-2018, 11:48 PM)ItsAGoal Wrote: Yo Brats,
I like trading as well.  I started trading forex this year.  If you wanna have a chat about it, feel free to message me.  
Cheers
IAG

Forex is beyond me I think, I just stick to stocks although this week it's not been such a good week. I did go shopping yesterday though for a few I like that were suddenly 20% cheaper.

Same principles really - any commodities can be traded the same.  Good old fashioned trading off support and resistance.  For stock trading, you'd be wise to learn stuff around how price reacts off s/r pivots for example to make sure you're getting optimal profits.  Difference in forex is that it is a lot more liquid meaning that profits tend to be greater (as you can optimise your trading).  
Smile  What stocks to you trade?  Do you trade S&P500?  In the picture attached, price stopped in its tracks for good reason on the recent drop...

I have a diverse portfolio that includes S&P 500, FTSE, AIM, DAX and CAC at the moment.
I have part in high yielding slow growth stock, part in high tech stocks and then the fun part in very small companies on the AIM which either 5x in a year or crash and burn.
I don't go into fancy algorithms and just buy good companies that I hope will go up in the long term.
May be worth taking a punt on RWE. Stock has dropped dramatically the last cpl of weeks due to courts siding with protestors over a forest they wanted to mine for lignite. Think the stock is at the lowest price it has been for apporx 11 yrs roght now.
Damn pesky protestors, stopping people cutting down them useless forests.....
(10-14-2018, 02:52 PM)Fido Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 01:57 PM)Pertensio Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 12:04 PM)Ossian Wrote: My only advice is to take holidays.

Whatever it is you do day in day out, then get away from it a couple of times a year; well away - somewhere where it can't track you down; turn the mobile off if that's what it takes.

This

x10000

I can’t help that taking 10,000 holidays is the first step in the road to financial ruin.

You can see why I'm no good at this  Big Grin
(10-14-2018, 05:42 PM)swordfish Wrote:
(10-14-2018, 05:03 PM)King Astle Wrote:
(10-12-2018, 09:16 AM)Bratislava Baggie Wrote: Forex is beyond me I think, I just stick to stocks although this week it's not been such a good week. I did go shopping yesterday though for a few I like that were suddenly 20% cheaper.

Damn pesky protestors, stopping people cutting down them useless forests.....

Bastard energy firms, going round sourcing fuel to power people’s homes......

(10-07-2018, 08:24 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: This:

...Therefore it may well be beneficial to go freelance and I am 99% certain my current employer will be happy to be my first customer... 

Doesn't fit with that:

Plus it means I can be more flexible with working hours saving on childcare and so on. 

Couple of comments, you need to think about. Good luck
(10-15-2018, 02:33 PM)Pneumann Wrote:
(10-07-2018, 08:24 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: This:

...Therefore it may well be beneficial to go freelance and I am 99% certain my current employer will be happy to be my first customer... 

Doesn't fit with that:

Plus it means I can be more flexible with working hours saving on childcare and so on. 

Couple of comments, you need to think about. Good luck

To explain that. I have to work Monday to Friday, 9-5, I can't work late or early mornings etc and can't ever do the school run etc, freelance I could, not less hours, just move them round to suit me.
I'd be worried the flexibility would do you in
(10-15-2018, 03:13 PM)Pneumann Wrote: I'd be worried the flexibility would do you in

Not really, I know when and how to switch off. I'm not good at the sitting at home, doing nothing, plus I actively enjoy my work and do it as a hobby too. 

My concern is my knowledge of my biggest weakness, procrastination, especially when working at home, hence renting a desk in the office my friend works in.