After initial WTF I'm actually warming to the idea of Wagner...
(06-09-2021, 08:46 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I have actually found the faux outrage over this hilarious!

He is a manager that was being lauded as a Klopp-esque master tactician at Dortmund & Hudds, and it only went tits up when the model changed at Hudds and their size and financial clout caught up with them and they made poor decisions behind the scenes. Then Wagner made a massive mistake going to Schalke, but many a young ambitious manager have taken on roles that are poisoned chalices. He wont be the last.

He has a reputation as a forward thinking, modern coach who leans heavily on statistics and science and enjoys improving players whilst ensuring they are fit and competitive. He also, having worked in Germany is used to the DoF model.

I am quite pleased with the appointment and I think it shows the club have gone into open minded, even though they had their initial preferred options.

I dont think people are particularly outraged with Wagner per se, more the fact that our absentee owner crawled from under his duvet to veto the boards choice of Wilder, and insist on Wagner.
(06-09-2021, 08:53 AM)MrFizz Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 08:46 AM)Lurker#3 Wrote: I have actually found the faux outrage over this hilarious!

He is a manager that was being lauded as a Klopp-esque master tactician at Dortmund & Hudds, and it only went tits up when the model changed at Hudds and their size and financial clout caught up with them and they made poor decisions behind the scenes. Then Wagner made a massive mistake going to Schalke, but many a young ambitious manager have taken on roles that are poisoned chalices. He wont be the last.

He has a reputation as a forward thinking, modern coach who leans heavily on statistics and science and enjoys improving players whilst ensuring they are fit and competitive. He also, having worked in Germany is used to the DoF model.

I am quite pleased with the appointment and I think it shows the club have gone into open minded, even though they had their initial preferred options.

I dont think people are particularly outraged with Wagner per se, more the fact that our absentee owner crawled from under his duvet to veto the boards choice of Wilder, and insist on Wagner.

Correct. I’m not anti-Wagner, he has a good record of immediate impacts and will address the fitness and tactical shortcomings of our squad.

The concern is around the potential infighting that will now be going on around him, and our ability / budget to deliver the players he will need to make a success of his approach. He seems relatively inflexible in his approach and putting it mildly most of our players are too old, too lazy and too thick to embrace them
What needs to be remembered is that he will want to succeed after his Shalke stint. Like others have said it was an absolute basket case of a club but he will still be hurting from that and will want to restore his reputation to some extent.

Secondly he's German. They don't like failing and I can imagine he will have learned a lot from his experience. Failure isn't always bad. If you are proactive and try and learn from the experience then you become a better manager.

Lastly let's not lose sight of the fact he has been promoted out of the Championship. No mean feet when looking at the squad and budget he had at the time. It's a brutal division but he knows what it takes.

Oh and for people who say his style is negative I don't give a shit. I remember when RDM rocked up and was asked by the journos what style of football would he bring and he answered "hopefully a winning style". He gave not too shits about "entertaining football".

Under Wagner we will be organised and fit and we have plenty of decent players already at this level to give it a right good go.

My real concern like many others is a potential rift now in the boardroom and how that may impact the summer transfer dealings.
I'm quite happy with the appointment, as none of the other names mentioned immediately stood out.

There's something about Wilder, that I can't quite put my finger on......
(06-09-2021, 08:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: 'I've Warmed to Wagner', just putting the finishing touches to my new t-shirt!

I actually have warmed to the idea as said elsewhere.

Ziz’s next username…

Warm_To_Wagner
OK posters, best prepare for a whole lot of "Fussball ingesamt" und schadenfreude.
(06-09-2021, 08:56 AM)SW4Baggie Wrote:

Correct. I’m not anti-Wagner, he has a good record of immediate impacts and will address the fitness and tactical shortcomings of our squad.

The concern is around the potential infighting that will now be going on around him, and our ability / budget to deliver the players he will need to make a success of his approach. He seems relatively inflexible in his approach and putting it mildly most of our players are too old, too lazy and too thick to embrace them

I am not sure the majority of our squad are to "old, lazy and Thick" to be honest SW4. I think the fact the squad improved massively under Sam is testament that they perform better under tighter less "fluid" instructions. 

Regarding the infighting and vetoing, I will keep my powder dry as it it seems that the reporting is somewhat loose and they appear to be trying to justify their lack of "in the know" regarding our next appointment after weeks of claiming Wilder/Lampard or Appleton were nailed on.

Don't think he insisted on Wagner. More he vetoed Wilder (outspoken against Sheff Utd owner) and Appleton (not willing to pay compensation)
https://www.footballcoin.io/blog/schalke...20football.

Schalke’s wingers have been essential in implementing David Wagner’s vision of quick attacking transitions.

However, Schalke 04 FC will often begin build-up play at the back, constructing their attacks on the wings. Wing-backs will advance beyond the half-line, while wingers can take up inside-forward roles. They will then try to cross the ball from wide areas, or open up play towards one of the attackers.

The team will favor a direct passing style when needed.
(06-09-2021, 09:00 AM)Peachy Wrote: Like others have said it was an absolute basket case of a club but he will still be hurting from that and will want to restore his reputation to some extent.
Do we know this? He had them challenging for the Champions League in his first season so what went wrong? Covid? Sales of players?