This is not the first time Lai has overruled the board.
In 2018, the board wanted Dean Smith, Lai wanted Darren Moore, Lai won. 

You can argue the toss, but considering the mess we were in that summer, Moore did an excellent job of steadying the ship, which is often forgotten.

Plus, Dean Smith is a miserable Seal. No regrets from me. 

We have been bombed out of the PL because the manager didn't get on with the powers that be, completely messing up a critical transfer window. Lai (or his advisors) probably read this and thought "No thank you".
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/...4m-pay-off

Finally, hardly anyone on here was excited about Wilder, or any other manager.
True and i get your point. However, not being excited about any other manager, then getting Wagner is taking things a bit too far in the 'are you for real Mr lai?' direction.
Take away the Albion and Villa links, I know which manager has proven to be better.....
You have to look back and think why Big Sam didn’t take on the job after saying he would want the tools to make a good go of it to come straight back up.The guy is hardly going to get a better job at 67 years old and it’s quite obvious when he said it’s a job for the long term that what it meant is there’s no money.I’ve always said that getting a good manager is better than any 3-4 million pound player so go and get the best you can.The fact we had three to go at and all had a certain amount of plusses yet it seems Lai has pulled the plug on Wilder,Appleton and Lampard because of money and he has gone for Wagner because he is the cheapest.The whole situation stinks and poets just hope we don’t reap what we sow.
(06-09-2021, 04:56 AM)Stratfordbaggie Wrote: Take away the Albion and Villa links, I know which manager has proven to be better.....

I doubt Smith would have done it here.

Moore did an amazing job that summer, without him we wouldn't have had Barnes or Gayle since they were very much down to.him. he also helped.to.keep the likes of Rodrigeuz for a season.
(06-09-2021, 05:16 AM)Huggybear Wrote: You have to look back and think why Big Sam didn’t take on the job after saying he would want the tools to make a good go of it to come straight back up.The guy is hardly going to get a better job at 67 years old and it’s quite obvious when he said it’s a job for the long term that what it meant is there’s no money.I’ve always said that getting a good manager is better than any 3-4 million pound player so go and get the best you can.The fact we had three to go at and all had a certain amount of plusses yet it seems Lai has pulled the plug on Wilder,Appleton and Lampard because of money and he has gone for Wagner because he is the cheapest.The whole situation stinks and poets just hope we don’t reap what we sow.

No need to wonder why BFS didn’t want to take on the Champ season, the lying bastard admitted on national radio he really had no intention of staying if he got us relegated.
(06-09-2021, 06:33 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 04:56 AM)Stratfordbaggie Wrote: Take away the Albion and Villa links, I know which manager has proven to be better.....

Moore did an amazing job that summer, without him we wouldn't have had Barnes or Gayle since they were very much down to.him. he also helped.to.keep the likes of Rodrigeuz for a season.

Correct. He even bought Conor Townsend too. Moore's work that summer is very, very unappreciated. He stopped us turning into another Stoke.
(06-09-2021, 11:16 AM)Squid Wrote:

Correct. He even bought Conor Townsend too. Moore's work that summer is very, very unappreciated. He stopped us turning into another Stoke.

Completely agree.

Had Darren had £300m available for transfers and essentially had Barnes as his own player to build a team round, I imagine he’d have at least replicated what Smith had managed to.
(06-09-2021, 12:04 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 11:16 AM)Squid Wrote:

Completely agree.

Had Darren had £300m available for transfers and essentially had Barnes as his own player to build a team round, I imagine he’d have at least replicated what Smith had managed to.

Quite. Look how Doncaster plummeted down the table when he left.