Ollie Robinson ...Bureaucracy gone mad....
(06-10-2021, 09:44 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:18 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Does anybody know exactly what he said/wrote? It's difficult to make a judgement unless you know this.

We've had a few issues with this at work (all in the US - none in the UK). Personally, I adopted the approach if it was made historically and it was just an 'observation' I let it go. If it carried on then to say what they would like to do or someone should do, then we got rid of them.

Personally, I'm comfortable with that. I am also confident that most people would pass that 'test' even when they were teenagers.

Here are the tweets

Is that it? That would be a pass for me (not that I'm the arbiter). Personally, I probably wouldn't even bother raising my eyes if I heard that. He just comes accross as a bit of an ignorant dick. Not a smart thing to do if you're looking for a career in the public eye, though.

There were four more but they were of the same vain.

It just seems to be some shit banter with some mates to me, given it appears to be an isolated incident and was 10 years ago the reaction is well over the top. Plus he genuinely apologised. As I mentioned above, Craig Overton telling a Pakistani batsman to fuck off to his own country on the pitch is way worse, and he was older and that was more recent yet there was talk of him replacing Robinson (thankfully he hasn't).
(06-10-2021, 09:50 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:44 AM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:18 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Does anybody know exactly what he said/wrote? It's difficult to make a judgement unless you know this.

We've had a few issues with this at work (all in the US - none in the UK). Personally, I adopted the approach if it was made historically and it was just an 'observation' I let it go. If it carried on then to say what they would like to do or someone should do, then we got rid of them.

Personally, I'm comfortable with that. I am also confident that most people would pass that 'test' even when they were teenagers.

Here are the tweets

Is that it? That would be a pass for me (not that I'm the arbiter). Personally, I probably wouldn't even bother raising my eyes if I heard that. He just comes accross as a bit of an ignorant dick. Not a smart thing to do if you're looking for a career in the public eye, though.

There were four more but they were of the same vain.

It just seems to be some shit banter with some mates to me, given it appears to be an isolated incident and was 10 years ago the reaction is well over the top. Plus he genuinely apologised. As I mentioned above, Craig Overton telling a Pakistani batsman to fuck off to his own country on the pitch is way worse, and he was older and that was more recent yet there was talk of him replacing Robinson (thankfully he hasn't).

This is it exactly. What's being overlooked here is the fact that his tweets (at least the ones I've seen) are offensive but pretty much all poor attempts to make jokes. Nowadays, he'd be firing these off to mates on an encrypted WhatsApp group chat, but in 2012, lots of teenages used Twitter to send messages/jokes to each other without fully comprehending they were posting to a public platform. This matters because there's a difference between stating your abhorrent views in public (step forward Darren Grimes et al) and trying to make your mates laugh, however misguided. For example, the tweet he sent about Muslims is a poor attempt to play on the double meaning of the word 'bomb' as an explosive device but also a colloquial way of saying 'the best'. I assume he sent this around the time ISIS bombings were very much in the news. It's a weak joke in bad taste but I struggle to see how it reveals any deeper levels of Islamophobia.

For me, an apology and a statement should be sufficient with perhaps a charitable donation as a gesture of goodwill. I heard Michael Carberry on Five Live talking about this the other day. Oh dear. The man clearly isn't the sharpest but he was effectively advocating Robinson be banned from ever playing again. Such ridiculously knee jerk responses that fail to allow for rehabilitation or even human nature are unhelpful in the extreme. The natural extension of this is an Orwellian nightmare in which we are cancelled in adult life because we once made a joke about the red-haired girl in our class in primary school.

We have all said stupid and offensive things in our time and I'm sure many of us regret some of the things we've said in the past. It is human nature to focus on differences, but humans are also able to change views, adapt and grow. He shouldn't be hung out to dry for what are clearly tweets seeking approval from mates, tasteless as they are.
(06-10-2021, 08:10 AM)ferencpuskas Wrote: A young lad works his balls off to achieve his dream, to become good enough to play for his Country in his chosen sport. Years of graft both mentally and physically, and finally makes it at the Cradle of Cricket, a Test match debut at Lords! He is presented with his 1st Cap by his Captain, possibly one of the World's best Batters, has a wonderful debut, taking wickets, and causing the 2 best seamers we've got to look over their shoulders in admiration. What could be better ? Then some shitbag somewhere, reveals he made some naughty texts 10 years before, and he gets banned . Disgraceful. Eccb you should be ashamed ! Hope you choke on your G&Ts.                                                                                                                   Kin Bureaucracy gone mad!

Maybe when his ban is up and the E.C.B tell him he can play for England again, they will choke on their G & T if he tells them to go and piss off.
Of course he should be banned, I am amazed that so many people knowing where we are heading, are stunned when we arrive.
(06-10-2021, 10:02 AM)cornishbaggie Wrote: Of course he should be banned, I am amazed that so many people knowing where we are heading, are stunned when we arrive.

Yep, we should head straight back to the 70s. There really was no need to make the journey in the first place...
fuzzbox Wrote:
cornishbaggie Wrote:Of course he should be banned, I am amazed that so many people knowing where we are heading, are stunned when we arrive.

Yep, we should head straight back to the 70s. There really was no need to make the journey in the first place...

I wouldn't know, I spent a lot of the 70's visiting  family and playing on the streets of Belfast and Derry.
Did he make the tweets - yes
Are they offensive - yes
has he appologised - yes
Does he still hold the same views - not sure

so investigate a bit more thoroughly then just ask him.

Unfortunatley there are back to back tests which gave the ECB 3 days to look into it which isnt long enough so he will have to wait until the investigation is complete.
He stood for a group shot wearing ecb t shits decrying most of the things he was offensive about which is not a great look.
(06-10-2021, 09:22 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Not pleasant reading but hecwas a teenager, teens say and do stupid shit. He wasn't advocating to kill all Muslims or keep women second class, just giving really shit jokes and banter.

This is what drives the wedge in further.

Hold on what are you saying this "lad" was an 18 year old adult when he made these racist and bigoted remarks about the BAME community and women and your saying taking offence is driving the wedge further!!!....what bloody world are you living in!!!????.
This individual needs serious rehabilitation period not excuses and not a lame defence by total ignorants on here!!!!....
Think you just made birdys point for him!
(06-10-2021, 10:25 AM)pindgill Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:22 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Not pleasant reading but hecwas a teenager, teens say and do stupid shit. He wasn't advocating to kill all Muslims or keep women second class, just giving really shit jokes and banter.

This is what drives the wedge in further.

Hold on what are you saying this "lad" was an 18 year old adult when he made these racist and bigoted remarks about the BAME community and women and your saying taking offence is driving the wedge further!!!....what fucking world are you living in!!!????.
This individual needs serious rehabilitation period not excuses and a not lame defence by total ignorants on here!!!!....
Youre response is as extreme as those saying it doesnt matter.  How do you know he needs serious rehabilitation, he may have just been an asshole when he was 18?