Ollie Robinson ...Bureaucracy gone mad....
(06-10-2021, 09:18 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Does anybody know exactly what he said/wrote? It's difficult to make a judgement unless you know this.

We've had a few issues with this at work (all in the US - none in the UK). Personally, I adopted the approach if it was made historically and it was just an 'observation' I let it go. If it carried on then to say what they would like to do or someone should do, then we got rid of them.

Personally, I'm comfortable with that. I am also confident that most people would pass that 'test' even when they were teenagers.

Here are the tweets

(06-10-2021, 12:46 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Does anyone know what he actually posted?

See above.
(06-10-2021, 12:50 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:18 AM)Borin' Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 08:38 AM)fuzzbox Wrote: Does anybody know exactly what he said/wrote? It's difficult to make a judgement unless you know this.

We've had a few issues with this at work (all in the US - none in the UK). Personally, I adopted the approach if it was made historically and it was just an 'observation' I let it go. If it carried on then to say what they would like to do or someone should do, then we got rid of them.

Personally, I'm comfortable with that. I am also confident that most people would pass that 'test' even when they were teenagers.

Here are the tweets

(06-10-2021, 12:46 PM)MassDebater Wrote: Does anyone know what he actually posted?

See above.

Hmmmm Not exactly the worst things I've ever seen. I know people from all kinds of ethnic backgrounds that have said worse. Seems like a storm in a tea cup to me!
Just read those tweets. Nasty. Childish. And ten years ago. He WAS a child.I wouldn't have dropped him. But he'll learn a hard lesson.
More important things to get upset about.
(06-10-2021, 01:17 PM)Johnnykayeengland Wrote: Just read those tweets. Nasty. Childish. And ten years ago. He WAS a child.I wouldn't have dropped him. But he'll learn a hard lesson.
More important things to get upset about.

Really minor stuff said by a young lad, so would say the law of common sense adapted by most on here. Some daft things said on social media are held up now like they've terrorised the Asian family next door and put the windows through in the mosque.

However, there's a couple of posters whose comments on this thread are OTT and you multiply these PC police by thousands and that's why we have what we have. These are the tail that wag the dog now.

There's companies out there now that will comb your social media for anything that could result in problems and eradicate it- that's what society has become- we're petrified of what we say, but some dress it as an era of enlightenment.

Oh I'm so glad I was a kid in the days when daft photos got ripped up when you were handed them in an envelope in Boots and all non face to face conversations were over the telephone rather than typed into a social media platform.

(06-10-2021, 10:49 AM)pindgill Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 10:32 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 10:25 AM)pindgill Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 09:22 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Not pleasant reading but hecwas a teenager, teens say and do stupid shit. He wasn't advocating to kill all Muslims or keep women second class, just giving really shit jokes and banter.

This is what drives the wedge in further.

Hold on what are you saying this "lad" was an 18 year old adult when he made these racist and bigoted remarks about the BAME community and women and your saying taking offence is driving the wedge further!!!....what bloody world are you living in!!!????.
This individual needs serious rehabilitation period not excuses and a not lame defence by total ignorants on here!!!!....

No but totally destroying his career isn't going to help either, all it does is throw fuel on the fire for the 'too much pc' idiots who will now go on about cancel culture etc. That's what I mean by the wedge.

They were 10 years ago. If he still holds those views, throw the book at him, by all means temporarily suspend him while it's investigated, but to ban him totally is overkill.
Suspending him whilst an enquiry is set up and made is the right step by ECB if no other more recent abuse is found the lad should be brought back and should continue his career he's apologised and learnt salient lesson no issue also other young aspiring sportsmen and women should take heed from this too.
When the majority on this post saying that the ECBs suspension is over the top shows they have at best absolutely no understanding of this matter and worst there views are racist!!!...

Or maybe, playing Devil's advocate, the majority on here represent the common sense view of the public and have a good handle of the matter, as it's not astrophysics really, but aren't so puritanical and hypersensitive as you?
I wonder how a professional sports personality, didn't have the insight to go through their digital history to sanitize it. Or, that they weren't advised to do so. Everyone who has a public profile is opening the door for this type of 'hassle' if they don't take steps to keep their digital footprint in order. To a lesser extent, when applying for jobs, you can be sure that your digital history will be investigated.
As an aside, has anyone here ever played competitive cricket against an all Muslim side? Extreme sledging. You really need two deaf ears. As for Ollie, it wasn't clever but it was 10 years ago. A quick investigation to make sure there wasn't anything worse more recently, should have been enough.
I have a couple of times and as you say they were very in your face and not keen on taking it back

Funniest sledging story I had was when I played in Australia for Glen Iris in Melbourne, played the Salvation Army XI who had a group prayer before the game and then sledged me senseless for my entire innings

OK wearing an England cricket shirt may not have helped but fuck me at times it was brutal

Cuzer
Fisheatingdeludedsealwankers
(06-10-2021, 08:09 PM)Cuzer Wrote: I have a couple of times and as you say they were very in your face and not keen on taking it back

Funniest sledging story I had was when I played in Australia for Glen Iris in Melbourne, played the Salvation Army XI who had a group prayer before the game and then sledged me senseless for my entire innings

OK wearing an England cricket shirt may not have helped but fuck me at times it was brutal

Cuzer

Did he think you were Shane Warne too?