McInnes
(06-10-2021, 07:10 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 06:31 PM)Big Daddy Cool Wrote: McInnes would be a worse appointment than AFI. He was awful at Bristol City and Aberdeen fans couldn't wait to see the back of him and his negative football.

He wasn’t awful at Bristol, most of their fans still speak highly of him... he had them midtable first season after inheriting a side in a mess at the bottom, and was then instructed to cut the wage bill by 2/3rds leading to relegation... eveb McInnes says he should have walked but let his ego get the better of him.

At Aberdeen he was pushing Celtic all the way with a squad on a 10th of the budget... again, in McInnes’ words he had to be negative as they had to win games if they wanted to keep the pace. It was winning at all costs. He went stale there in the end.

I think we should be aiming higher than McInnes, but it’s harsh to just say he’s shit.

Absolutely spot on. One of my best mates is a Bristol City season ticket holder of 40 years. He said McIness never stood a chance. He said at the time they were in the biggest mess he could ever remember financially.
I find it somewhat funny how, with all these managers we get linked with that happen to have a poor record, it’s always because the club was a basket case. 

Wagner...Schalke were a mess. McInnes...Bristol were a mess. Appy...Blackpool/Blackburn were a mess.

Can’t we just admit that these managers are average and we don’t really have the ambition to go for a successful manager.
(06-10-2021, 08:50 PM)Dumbo Wrote: I find it somewhat funny how, with all these managers we get linked with that happen to have a poor record, it’s always because the club was a basket case. 

Wagner...Schalke were a mess. McInnes...Bristol were a mess. Appy...Blackpool/Blackburn were a mess.

Can’t we just admit that these managers are average and we don’t really have the ambition to go for a successful manager.

Appleton hardly has a poor record.

Wagner has a poor record because of Schalke, where 4 other managers got similar results.

Mcinnes though. Yeah Bristol City had problems but plenty of people think he made stuff worse at times. He did well at Aberdeen, but didn't win anything and let's be honest, it's an awful league.
With Wagner and McInnes it wasn't just their records as manager, it was the awful football their sides play. Appleton had Oxford and now Lincoln playing good attacking football.
(06-10-2021, 08:50 PM)Dumbo Wrote: I find it somewhat funny how, with all these managers we get linked with that happen to have a poor record, it’s always because the club was a basket case. 

And which successful manager would that be?
(06-10-2021, 08:54 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

Wagner has a poor record because of Schalke, where 4 other managers got similar results.

Mcinnes though. Yeah Bristol City had problems but plenty of people think he made stuff worse at times. He did well at Aberdeen, but didn't win anything and let's be honest, it's an awful league.

Are you seriously suggesting he should have beaten Celtic to a league title?
I'd prefer him to Appleton but that is not saying much.
It could be worse. The fat fraud could still be with us, planning his excuses for next season. Mike Bassett would still be a step up from him
TBF to McInness his win ratio is a damn sight better than almost all of the other candidates (can we even call them that since none of them had a chance with lai or having to travel?!?). To not be fair to McInnes that win ratio was achieved in Scotland, which tarnishes it a lot.

I like him a bloke, seems decent and honest, as a manager he inspires me a little more than the thought of Wagner did. So meh (again)

(06-10-2021, 08:54 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:

Wagner's record was almost the same at every single club he was at.. Schalke took it down only slightly, 33% is his line... By far the lowest of all the names linked so far... McInnes's is actually one of the highest!

It’s the pool we are fishing in. 

We have 2 options really when recruiting... take a punt on someone with experience, but who hasn’t necessarily had the best of returns in a couple recent jobs (Roy, Wagner, Lampard) or we go for someone who has a decent track record at smaller clubs / or is untried (RDM, Mowbray, Clarke...)

Experienced, successful managers without a failure on their CV won’t come to a Championship club.

You then of course have managers who are just shit, despite having no real excuse for it... but even the odd one or two of those go to another club and find success again (Nathan Jones, Gary Rowett...)

The question is Dumbo, who should we go for who you’d define as successful?