Euro Sceptics
No not Br***t. I'm talking about this ere upcoming football tournament, and specifically England.

Don't know why, but i've never really got particularly excited about international football and Euro's/World Cups. Sure they're good to cast your eye over, and bridge the gap between seasons.

But i just have no enthusiasm for England as a team. Dont know why, i just never have. Last time i got mildly excited was probably Euro 96. I spent most of the last WC Semi final in B&Q looking at internal doors cos i knew it would be quiet.

Am i alone in this? Some weirdo? Or is anyone else out there going to take only a passing interest in Gareths boys?
I care a lot more about this team than I have in recent years. I always found it tough to get behind the “golden generation” as so many of them came across as twats. This squad and manager come across as genuinely likeable which makes me much more invested.
(06-10-2021, 08:48 PM)Duffers Wrote: I care a lot more about this team than I have in recent years. I always found it tough to get behind the “golden generation” as so many of them came across as twats. This squad and manager come across as genuinely likeable except for that greasy seal cunt, which makes me much more invested.

Fixed for you.
Was a lot more interested in England when albion were In the doldrums.

Didn't like the golden generation at all.

Quite like this squad but really think Southgate is out of his depth.

As with soljskaer there is no way Gareths next job will be at a top club.
Can't get why people dislike Southgate.

But sure, let's get another foreign manager in, none of us can stand, everyone hates the Emgland team again.

Southgate has got far, far more right that wrong.
I always get excited for major tournaments. The only time I lost a bit of interest was World Cup 2010 under Capello.
(06-10-2021, 08:48 PM)Duffers Wrote: I care a lot more about this team than I have in recent years. I always found it tough to get behind the “golden generation” as so many of them came across as twats. This squad and manager come across as genuinely likeable which makes me much more invested.

Mings and Grealish are not likeable.
Nah I don't care about England doing well, I enjoy watching the tournament play out though
Have been disappointed so many times over the years, getting the England shirt, flags, etc that now I just hope we do ok and try and lower expectations, bit like Albion really!
I saw England win the World Cup (on the telly). I lived through the following years when our reputation was unravelled by complacency and mediocrity. I seethed throughout the hero worship of Kevin Keegan who was an appalling England captain and later a worse manager. I enjoyed the 1978 World Cup tremendously (without England) only to find out that Argentina had bought their place in the final. Italia 90 and Euro 96 were tremendous. Sven Goran Eriksson made my blood boil - in my opinion a complete fraud who stole a very lucrative living as England coach and stopped me caring whether we won, drew or lost.

I'll try to see some of England's matches, and maybe keep up with what's going on. The days of checking results daily and keeping up with group tables are long gone. It would be great if England could one day restore my enthusiasm. But my simple and unconditional appreciation of these tournaments has gone. Is it old age, is it just that the game isn't so engaging as it was? Who knows?