4 day working week improves or maintains productivity
Thumbs Up 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57724779

Facts.
(07-05-2021, 07:34 PM)fuzzbox Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 07:20 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57724779

Facts.

Will Stronge, director of research at Autonomy, said: "This study shows that the world's largest ever trial of a shorter working week **** in the public sector ***** was by all measures an overwhelming success.

Do you think the highlighted part might be relevant?
I’d say most people in the public sector work at 20 percent of efficiency maximum. My bro works for the council and he says he swings the lead but is by far the most productive in his department.
Also I spent several years as a civil servant and met the laziest people I’ve ever encountered.
(07-05-2021, 07:59 PM)Spandaubaggie Wrote:
(07-05-2021, 07:20 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57724779

Facts.

Will Stronge, director of research at Autonomy, said: "This study shows that the world's largest ever trial of a shorter working week **** in the public sector ***** was by all measures an overwhelming success.

I’d say most people in the public sector work at 20 percent of efficiency maximum. My bro works for the council and he says he swings the lead but is by far the most productive in his department.
Also I spent several years as a civil servant and met the laziest people I’ve ever encountered.

I'd like to know where he works then. These days i'm lucky to do less than 45hrs a week, usually closer to 50 (and only get paid for 37). But i guess 'efficiency' is not always easy to define. If i was less efficient with some of the shit i have to deal with, i'd be more efficient with the actual important stuff. But then i'd get complaints about not dealing with the shit, which would then mean more work.  Huh
(07-05-2021, 08:06 PM)MrFizz Wrote:

Facts.

I'd like to know where he works then. These days i'm lucky to do less than 45hrs a week, usually closer to 50 (and only get paid for 37). But i guess 'efficiency' is not always easy to define. If i was less efficient with some of the shit i have to deal with, i'd be more efficient with the actual important stuff. But then i'd get complaints about not dealing with the shit, which would then mean more work.  Huh

Sounds just like my place.
(07-05-2021, 08:06 PM)MrFizz Wrote:

Facts.

Dudley MBC.
I think most of the issues is utter disorganisation by sounds of it. Sandwell sounds every bit as bad. I know someone who was there for years. 
I’ve still a mate from when I worked in the tax office in the late 80s. He said that he has to work much harder than in those days, but there’s some who still get away with too much. 
Sadly I think public sector has awful culture issues, which makes them so inefficient.
Currently have a mother in law in hospital and watching the lack of common sense and communication between agencies is breathtaking.
I don't know anyone in the public sector who works less than their hours. Management within my bit of it wipes the floor with key metrics against the private sector both in terms of productivity as well as retention, sickness, trust measures etc.

Obviously though, my mate who counts the hours people worked 15 years ago should be listened to as opposed to a peer reviewed study.
(07-05-2021, 08:20 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: I don't know anyone in the public sector who works less than their hours. Management within my bit of it wipes the floor with key metrics against the private sector both in terms of productivity as well as retention, sickness, trust measures etc.

Obviously though, my mate who counts the hours people worked 15 years ago should be listened to as opposed to a peer reviewed study.

I think if anyone who worked in the public sector in the 80's/90's was to go and work there now they'd be in for a shock. I first worked in public sector mid-90's, then private, now public again since 2005. The 'great cull' of 2009-10 put paid to most of the shirkers and wannabe-retirees.
Those are really good points Fuzzbox and, in fact, a good example where a profit neutral organisation such as the public sector provides some objectivity to the assessment. If you take profit out of the equation then 'value' calculations become clearer. Simply it equals improvement over resource (as opposed to resource being misvalued by 'value/resource x profit margin to justify my job'.

Life is nothing but effort over reward.
(07-05-2021, 09:41 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: Those are really good points Fuzzbox and, in fact, a good example where a profit neutral organisation such as the public sector provides some objectivity to the assessment. If you take profit out of the equation then 'value' calculations become clearer. Simply it equals improvement over resource (as opposed to resource being misvalued by 'value/resource x profit margin to justify my job'.

Life is nothing but effort over reward.
As  former civil servant (ex private sector) dealing with civil servants, I thiink = better to pay them than wandering the streets like zombies.  Keep them as zombies off the streets albeit painful to deal with at policy level.  That is the best of a bad job.  When it comes to engaging them at Policy level (if they are not on leave or otherwise hiding) my view is it's impossible to discuss the concept of gravity with a cat.  Or as a client put it , don't try to play chess with pigeons.  It really as that bad. 

Christ, at 63 I keep trying to retire from dealing with the ineffably useless HMRC and HMT but keep getting sucked in.  And they get paid for their antics, regardless of ineptitude or consequences. Not like an honest business who hits a tripwire in genuine error...

There will be blood.

(07-05-2021, 08:20 PM)DJPunkRoc Wrote: I don't know anyone in the public sector who works less than their hours. Management within my bit of it wipes the floor with key metrics against the private sector both in terms of productivity as well as retention, sickness, trust measures etc.

Eh?  Eh? Eh? 

ah ah ah!

Its RIFE Frank

Not 15 years ago but the present <puts gun to head> Please let it END!