Madeley of the Athletic
(07-13-2021, 01:57 PM)Cornflake Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:45 PM)Lightnin Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:19 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Budget includes wages, and I imagine we're going heavily into offering high wages. Which was Ashworths preferred method too.

Then transfer money comes from sales, so less likely we'll sell Pereira cheaply.

£13.4m profit from SJ will be nice though and should go straight into the coffers plus whatever the fee is for Nathan Ferguson but I don't think £18m in total would go far wrong.

If we can get away with not selling Pereira and fitting him into the new system then I think we'll go for it. Why wouldn't you?

I can't see us holding on to Pereira. Imagine the conversation with his people was very much we'll sell him so long as someone pays enough.

He's at his career peak age wise, done one Championship season, showed he is far too good to be down here and should be in the top flight.

Expect him to go before the window closes.

That's if someone is willing to pay for him, I'm not sure a prem club will. I obviously think he is good enough but the top half clubs have fans wanting players from higher up/europe and he's not necessarily the type of player bottom half clubs want to spend their money on. If it comes down to clubs in the likes of the middle east he might well decide to stay and get back to the prem next year. Maybe!

The crucial thing though is he's on about 20k/wk here... so £1m a year, or 500k after tax give or take.

Head over to the Middle East and it'll be £100k a week, and the same after tax... £5m a year...

Add to that there's less chance of him getting kicked from pillar to post twice a week and he's living in a millionaires playground in the sun, vs Sutton Coldfield. I'm sure he'd be able to do a deal to get his mate Krov out there too.
(07-13-2021, 02:32 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:19 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Budget includes wages, and I imagine we're going heavily into offering high wages. Which was Ashworths preferred method too.

Then transfer money comes from sales, so less likely we'll sell Pereira cheaply.

£13.4m profit from SJ will be nice though and should go straight into the coffers plus whatever the fee is for Nathan Ferguson but I don't think £18m in total would go far wrong.

If we can get away with not selling Pereira and fitting him into the new system then I think we'll go for it. Why wouldn't you?

I can't see us holding on to Pereira. Imagine the conversation with his people was very much we'll sell him so long as someone pays enough.

He's at his career peak age wise, done one Championship season, showed he is far too good to be down here and should be in the top flight.

That's if someone is willing to pay for him, I'm not sure a prem club will. I obviously think he is good enough but the top half clubs have fans wanting players from higher up/europe and he's not necessarily the type of player bottom half clubs want to spend their money on. If it comes down to clubs in the likes of the middle east he might well decide to stay and get back to the prem next year. Maybe!

The crucial thing though is he's on about 20k/wk here... so £1m a year, or 500k after tax give or take.

Head over to the Middle East and it'll be £100k a week, and the same after tax... £5m a year...

Add to that there's less chance of him getting kicked from pillar to post twice a week and he's living in a millionaires playground in the sun, vs Sutton Coldfield. I'm sure he'd be able to do a deal to get his mate Krov out there too.

Guess it all depends on if he's money driven or actually wants to play football at a good standard?

I'd love it if we kept him, but I doubt we will, but you never know!
(07-13-2021, 02:34 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:45 PM)Lightnin Wrote: £13.4m profit from SJ will be nice though and should go straight into the coffers plus whatever the fee is for Nathan Ferguson but I don't think £18m in total would go far wrong.

Guess it all depends on if he's money driven or actually wants to play football at a good standard?

No idea how this ended up on my other post... Say what you want about wanting to compete at the highest level, if someone offered to increase my salary 10x over, I'd be able to put aside my "ambition" for a couple years Big Grin
(07-13-2021, 02:35 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I can't see us holding on to Pereira. Imagine the conversation with his people was very much we'll sell him so long as someone pays enough.

No idea how this ended up on my other post... Say what you want about wanting to compete at the highest level, if someone offered to increase my salary 10x over, I'd be able to put aside my "ambition" for a couple years Big Grin

You're determined to put your ambition aside aren't you Big Grin!!

I'd see it almost as a career ending move, Germany > Champ > Prem > Saudi team for money... Who'd be able to afford to bring him back from a league where he's not really going to improve much?

Also, you're forgetting that he is already rich by our standards, I guess it's whether he wants / needs more? Obviously his agent will go with the money move though as they then rake even more in...
(07-13-2021, 02:37 PM)MassDebater Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 02:35 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:57 PM)Cornflake Wrote: That's if someone is willing to pay for him, I'm not sure a prem club will. I obviously think he is good enough but the top half clubs have fans wanting players from higher up/europe and he's not necessarily the type of player bottom half clubs want to spend their money on. If it comes down to clubs in the likes of the middle east he might well decide to stay and get back to the prem next year. Maybe!

You're determined to put your ambition aside aren't you Big Grin!!

I'd see it almost as a career ending move, Germany > Champ > Prem > Saudi team for money... Who'd be able to afford to bring him back from a league where he's not really going to improve much?

Also, you're forgetting that he is already rich by our standards, I guess it's whether he wants / needs more? Obviously his agent will go with the money move though as they then rake even more in...

I mean we're both making assumptions for Pereira where only he knows what his intentions are.

For me, he's the kind of player that will carve out a very good career at a club in the top flight in Europe if he wants to. I don't think he's quite good enough to play regularly for a Champions League side, and I don't think he's realistically going to get an international call up... or if he does, he's hardly likely to be first choice in his position for either Portugal or Brazil.

So it comes down to whether you play for the likes of Leicester City, Marsailles, Atalanta etc and maybe in the odd domestic cup and earn some decent money.... or do you go and absolutely coin it in the Middle East or China? 

Then again, I'm a bad barometer... if I were even a League 2 standard footballer I'd be on a nomadic tour of designated player salaries in the likes of Singapore, the MLS, Qatar and China... bollocks to running round Rochdale being called a girl for going down injured on a cold Tuesday night.
(07-13-2021, 01:45 PM)Lightnin Wrote: £13.4m profit from SJ will be nice though and should go straight into the coffers plus whatever the fee is for Nathan Ferguson but I don't think £18m in total would go far wrong.

The fact he was happy to go to China answers your question. Big Grin
I told you I’ll be back
(07-13-2021, 02:44 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:
(07-13-2021, 01:47 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: I can't see us holding on to Pereira. Imagine the conversation with his people was very much we'll sell him so long as someone pays enough.

The fact he was happy to go to China answers your question. Big Grin

Do we know he was happy to do that, or was it just 'talks' about 'possibilities', did they actually ask him?

Loffin' t the International journeyman that is SW4! Big Grin
We've also spent a lot on getting Six and the team in.

However, Madeley (and others) have said that compared to the rest of the Championship we are in a good position.

So we absolutely have to purchase sensibly. We cannot afford another Zohore. In an ideal world, each new player would have a long term role, but in this one, they need to play a part this season.
(07-13-2021, 02:50 PM)Squid Wrote: We've also spent a lot on getting Six and the team in.

However, Madeley (and others) have said that compared to the rest of the Championship we are in a good position.

So we absolutely have to purchase sensibly. We cannot afford another Zohore. In an ideal world, each new player would have a long term role, but in this one, they need to play a part this season.

Agree VI was a costly appointment, especially with his 4 year deal commitment too... but we SHOULD be in the top 3 wealthiest clubs in this division given our parachute payments. Given the contracts SU and Fulham have dropped with vs, the number of loan cancellations, contract expirees and flexdown salaries I would expect us to have the most wiggle room on our wage bill in the division.

The Championship is an absolute slog, having a top 2 budget or having a good budget can be a little different in terms of finishing position.
(07-13-2021, 02:09 PM)Fulham Fallout Wrote:

What has profit on a player got to do with it?  What does come into play are any outstanding payments on a player to their previous club, and if there is a sell on clause that we have to pay the previous club a percentage of and less any percentage paid to the player (unless they put in a transfer request). 

So... it’s all about cash flow from the transaction and the excess cash goes into the transfer kitty, not if we sell for £20m and bought for £8m

We are meant to be self sustaining, that’s not just about cash.

There is also the issue in payments over instalments. Clubs rarely pay the full amount up front and in many cases final instalments based on high expectations won’t be met. You can’t take them into account (unless you’re Villa)