Does anyone on here buy digital content
I really struggle with the modern streaming vibe. I like to own something tangible. I was discussing films with a youngish fellow at work a couple of years ago and offered to lend him a few DVDs. Couldn't believe it when he said, "I've got nothing to play them on".

When you have no internet (I know there are youngsters on here who won't understand that concept), you can put the shiny silver thing (or the black vinyl thing) in some sort of playing device and have film or music. Isn't technology wonderful?

I do have Prime and can access Netflix on my daughter's account. I even  paid for the odd footie match on Now. But I'd hate to rely on streaming. Discs on a shelf or mp3/4s on a hard drive is what I want.
(07-17-2021, 07:02 PM)Korenavirus Wrote: Sorry I didn't mean apps, I meant movies and tv boxsets.

Okay, well first thing is we get Sky Movies as a freebie thrown in with a Virgin loyalty package. Personally I think it's useless and would never pay for it - in almost two years we've found fewer than a dozen films we wanted to watch, and some of those would have been available for free elsewhere.

I'm not a massive fan of Amazon but the combination of Prime and the Firestick gives access to a decent variety of stuff for a good price; I believe some of it might overlap with Netflix and other services. My son also has a free subscription to Disney Plus via his O2 phone package, and there's a lot to get through on there, simply because of all the stuff Disney has acquired over the years.

We don't have either Netflix or Apple TV - we can only watch a fraction of what we already have!
(07-17-2021, 10:00 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I really struggle with the modern streaming vibe. I like to own something tangible. I was discussing films with a youngish fellow at work a couple of years ago and offered to lend him a few DVDs. Couldn't believe it when he said, "I've got nothing to play them on".

When you have no internet (I know there are youngsters on here who won't understand that concept), you can put the shiny silver thing (or the black vinyl thing) in some sort of playing device and have film or music. Isn't technology wonderful?

I do have Prime and can access Netflix on my daughter's account. I even  paid for the odd footie match on Now. But I'd hate to rely on streaming. Discs on a shelf or mp3/4s on a hard drive is what I want.

Interestingly I agree with you on music, but not films. I have an Amazon Music subscription that I use for most things - commuting, playlists for running, checking out new stuff, etc… but when I come across an album I really like I tend to buy a vinyl copy. Whereas with films I pretty much stream everything. Gave my entire dvd collection to the charity shop last year (kept a handful of all time favourites).

I suppose the difference for me is that I like the feeling of playing physical records, whereas when you’re staring at a screen it doesn’t really matter.

(I also tend to buy physical copies of games, but that’s mainly because I usually sell them when I’m finished playing them).
Have been impressed with Amazon Prime , loads of movies and series to watch plus delivery service. 
I wouldn’t pay for any more movies as I’ve got firestick “alternative “ sources. 
Music I use my daughter’s Spotify account
(07-17-2021, 10:22 PM)Duffers Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 10:00 PM)Cheshire East Baggie Wrote: I really struggle with the modern streaming vibe. I like to own something tangible. I was discussing films with a youngish fellow at work a couple of years ago and offered to lend him a few DVDs. Couldn't believe it when he said, "I've got nothing to play them on".

Interestingly I agree with you on music, but not films. I have an Amazon Music subscription that I use for most things - commuting, playlists for running, checking out new stuff, etc… but when I come across an album I really like I tend to buy a vinyl copy. Whereas with films I pretty much stream everything. Gave my entire dvd collection to the charity shop last year (kept a handful of all time favourites).

I suppose the difference for me is that I like the feeling of playing physical records, whereas when you’re staring at a screen it doesn’t really matter.

(I also tend to buy physical copies of games, but that’s mainly because I usually sell them when I’m finished playing them).

Music is something you listen to time and again. Most movies (like novels) are things you'll watch (or read) once. As you say, the "all time favourites" are worth keeping. But I am of an age where I can't be comfortable relying on wifi or 4G. Which is why I have DVDs on the shelf.

I still have all my old vinyl, right back to Beatles singles from 1963 (I say "mine" - I'm sure I stole most of the singles off my siblings). Play some of them occasionally, but just having them is important.
Spotify is my weakness in the war against the new evil. I had vinyl,still have- although it's had a life- got told cds were better quality. No! They weren't. I know many that have gone back to vinyl and it certainly sounds better. But my ears aren't great and I like the fact I can listen to anything I like, new,old, undiscovered. And I'm fucked if I'm paying £25+ a disc.
I bought the breaking bad complete boxset for £10 earlier today. Google play store has it for sale at around £70, so I saved £60. If anyone wants any help with where to buy the digital redemption codes please let me.

But, be warned, once you start collecting it is quite addictive.
(07-17-2021, 11:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Spotify is my weakness in the war against the new evil. I had vinyl,still have- although it's had a life-  got told cds were better quality.  No!  They weren't. I know many that have gone back to vinyl and it certainly sounds better. But my ears aren't great and I like the fact I can listen to anything I like, new,old, undiscovered.  And I'm fucked if I'm paying £25+ a disc.

As I said, the likes of Spotify are perfect for “try before you buy”. I spend a lot of time on a Glastonbury forum (that’s right, I do have other interests and I’m actually nice to everyone on there too) and everyone is always talking about bands, recommending new stuff, etc. Have got into so much new stuff in recent years by just giving something a quick blast on Amazon and if I like it then seeking them out myself - buying records, gig tickets, etc.
(07-17-2021, 11:06 PM)Tom Joad Wrote: Spotify is my weakness in the war against the new evil. I had vinyl,still have- although it's had a life-  got told cds were better quality.  No!  They weren't. I know many that have gone back to vinyl and it certainly sounds better. But my ears aren't great and I like the fact I can listen to anything I like, new,old, undiscovered.  And I'm fucked if I'm paying £25+ a disc.

Also, you can't listen to vinyl while out and about without looking a complete bellend.
I've got Prime and therefore Prime Video. Anything else I acquire the old fashioned ways Big Grin