We're skint
(07-18-2021, 02:03 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Indeed Swag.

Disagree entirely. 

His stats alone from the past two seasons show his worth. Not to mention him achieving those stats in such a garbage team for the most part. 

Stats wise he’s comparable to Grealish. He is as important to us as Grealish is to Villa. Only difference is he isn’t English. What’s the asking price for Grealish? I know ours and Villa’s circumstances and needs to sell are at different levels, but I can’t agree he’s overhyped and over priced by our fans. If anything, it’s typical Albion to undervalue our players.
(07-18-2021, 09:24 AM)Squid Wrote: Most Championship clubs are utterly skint. V good article on it in The Athletic.

I was going to say... if we're skint then a lot of champ clubs must be well into the red.

I'd expect us to have a modest amount to spend (10 mill or under) the rest if any is by selling players
Our position isn't much different from the last how many years, dependent upon division we're in, and, if second div, how long we've spent in it.
(07-18-2021, 01:46 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 10:24 AM)CA Baggie Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 09:34 AM)Birdman1811 Wrote: It'll be a late window anyway for a lot of reasons, but yes, the need for players to move increases that.

And yes, Pereira transfer is going to be less than pre covid times for many reasons, us needing that money being a big one, we can't afford not to sell him if we want to buy anyone.

When Ben White is moving for £50m I think that negates any pre or post COVID argument.

I’m not comparing age/nationality/position/contract etc merely that it’s a helluva transfer fee considering what he’s done and in no way reflects a post CoVid market.

If we’re taking an uber cautious and are prepared to lose £10m+ of a transfer fee in case gate receipts are halted then that’s a different question.  I’m not sure gate receipts even add up to that, but talk of £20-25m for Pereira is way, way short of his true value by IMO AT LEAST £10m.  If the first offer isn’t in excess of £30m plus add one I’d not even take the call.  No point negotiating when you should be that far apart. 

SJ is different because of his contract situ. With a 3 year contract he’s worth £20m+ easily.  We should be looking for £15m or a couple of million and a very, very undervalued centre forward in exchange to reduce our sell on clause!
Your comments are based purely on your judgement of White as a player and are therefore totally subjective.
Personally I believe 50 mill is a good price for White. 2 seasons of watching him has shown me that he is a real talent. A football playing CH/Def midfielder and could go on to be world class with the right coaching.

As for Pereira - he has been great for us but would be an also ran in most competive clubs. 
I think the majority of expectations for his fee by many on this bored are unrealistic and as ever naïve.

Cannot disagree more.

First point regarding White, £50m is not a good fee unless you're Brighton. Varane is being quoted for that much (in fact I think Real Madrid want £45m for him), an accomplished and world class centre half with an illustrious trophy cabinet just about to enter what you'd expect to be his prime based on his age. Why White is being quoted for that much is due to Brighton's ability to tell teams to fuck off and pay their price coupled with Arsenal's absolute desperation for a new centre half and the knowledge that they don't have the pull at the moment to sign someone truly world class but have got a lot of money to spend.

With regards to Pereira, we should not sell him based on his market value and instead what he is worth to us. Would a club be paying well over the odds to get MP for £35m? Absolutely, but if we're not desperate to bring money in and have the knowledge that he can't run his contract down and (crucially) isn't going to down tools then we should have every club trying to sign him over a barrel to sign him on our terms. He's a player that will be incredibly hard to replace and is someone we know that can win Championship games on his own.
Thing is, without selling Pereira, we can't afford to buy a striker. So those wanting to keep him, understandable too. I presume you're happy with our current striking options or a good loan, because afaik there are no decent free transfer strikers available. If so great, don't whinge when the season starts.
(07-18-2021, 04:56 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Thing is, without selling Pereira, we can't afford to buy a striker. So those wanting to keep him, understandable too. I presume you're happy with our current striking options or a good loan, because afaik there are no decent free transfer strikers available. If so great, don't whinge when the season starts.

I accept that we may need to sell him to bring in funds for elsewhere, as I acknowledged above with the caveat of not being desperate for money. That doesn't mean we should sell him at his market value and it doesn't mean that income from elsewhere might help to cover our transfer funds which in turn relieves a lot of the pressure to sell him to raise funds. It's dynamic, not fixed. We're not financially screwed like Derby.
(07-18-2021, 04:56 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: Thing is, without selling Pereira, we can't afford to buy a striker. So those wanting to keep him, understandable too. I presume you're happy with our current striking options or a good loan, because afaik there are no decent free transfer strikers available. If so great, don't whinge when the season starts.

I'm fine with giving our youngsters a go.
Ken Zohore is still about, Grant Robinson and Grady can payback some of the cash we have given them?

I genuinely would accept not making another signing at all, if it meant we could keep Periera.
(07-18-2021, 05:15 PM)Dumbo Wrote:

I genuinely would accept not making another signing at all, if it meant we could keep Periera.

My thoughts too, Dumbo. Robinson is the best finisher at the club and with help from Ken, Grant and Diangana, things wouldn't be do bad.
Pez is a gem.

I said £35m a fair value previously.