Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
3 years ago today.
We signed Nicolas Anelka.

Blush
I thought it would be a decent signing at the time. As did quite a few others on this board (although they probably won't admit it.)

What a wanker he was.
it was a disaster from day one ( after he banged a few in in pre season ) , glad we seem to take more care in looking at the attitude of the players we sign these days that was an expensive mistake!
(07-04-2016, 01:56 PM)P_K Wrote: I thought it would be a decent signing at the time. As did quite a few others on this board (although they probably won't admit it.)

What a wanker he was.

I too thought he might be able to provide something different and classy for us.

In the end he was just a monumental prick. 

His antic's certainly produced some discontent, f*ck' quenelle! Big Grin
I'll also hold my hands up to thinking he'd be good.

Quite ironic too that the match that caused all the trouble was his first good one for us.
Great player, could've worked out as he showed in flashes it was still there.

Sadly, he'd gone a bit mental.
(07-04-2016, 02:07 PM)Duffmon Wrote: Quite ironic too that the match that caused all the trouble was his first good one for us.

Very true. I was surprised just how poor his finishing was for us - the one thing that you would hope wouldn't deteriorate too quickly with age
Sadly he's still one of the biggest world 'names' ever to be associated with our club

up there with Kanu , Geoff Hurst , Bryan Robson and Wayne Fereday as names the whole footballing planet has heard of
(07-04-2016, 02:12 PM)TTM Wrote: Great player, could've worked out as he showed in flashes it was still there.

Sadly, he'd gone a bit mental.

He had gone mental alright. You wonder how much of his surly, billy big bolox, quinelle flashing, fuck everybody else selfish attitude rubbed off on a young and impressionable Saido?
We'll never be able to unravel the sad tale of those days. If Anelka hadn't been such a massive disappointment and such a disruptive influence, would Clarkey have slid inexorably towards failure? Was the McDonough effect inevitable, regardless of players and performances? It was a serious wobble by JP's high standards of club management, could have undone all the progress we had made.