Underwhelming appointment
(03-09-2019, 11:59 AM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Is it an exaggeration to say Sir Gary is the reason we are the club we see today?

It's an impossible question to answer. 

We may have appointed Nuno and now be top 4.
(03-09-2019, 12:52 PM)Alf Tupper Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:27 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:25 PM)Alf Tupper Wrote: Wasn't it him or Colin Todd in the running for the job ?

Todd (recently sacked by Bolton) rings a bell
Yes,pretty sure it was Todd. Didn't Meggo only get it because of Thompson ,the rest off the board wanted Todd.?

(03-09-2019, 12:46 PM)Only one real Albion Wrote: I'm ashamed to say I had been excited by appointing Brian Little. Like most, utterly underwhelmed by Megson's appointment. Without him we might now be Preston.

Little.Fuck me how deadful was the football under him ? I remember when we use to be in the traffic after the game listening his interviews.We use to say they've put the 'Little tape' on again,the same every week .Win (not many of them ),lose or draw he always 'took positives'out of the game we use to wait for him to say and cheer.Even losing 1-0 to Walsall he always 'took positives'out of the game.
 The thing under little was that we started the season well and didn’t lose a league game for a while.  Those home defeats to shite Walsall and Qpr sides were shocking
(03-09-2019, 12:09 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:03 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:02 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 11:52 AM)TR 675 Wrote: 19 years ago today I was underwhelmed by the appointment made by the club. How wrong I was.

That was the feeling pal - people were literally saying that as we entered Edgeley Park.  One punter in a queue of 100 said he would be the best thing that happened to the club. He wasn’t far wrong

Look at where Stockport are now! How times change.
 Indeed. Don’t forget that SGM got them a top half finish 2 seasons before joining us.  They finished above us Wolves Blues City and Stoke

Stockport fans not big on Megson strangely... despite the fact he finished just a couple points outside the playoffs the credit seems to go to Dave Jones.
(03-09-2019, 01:20 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:02 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 11:52 AM)TR 675 Wrote: 19 years ago today I was underwhelmed by the appointment made by the club. How wrong I was.

That was the feeling pal - people were literally saying that as we entered Edgeley Park.  One punter in a queue of 100 said he would be the best thing that happened to the club. He wasn’t far wrong

Indeed. Don’t forget that SGM got them a top half finish 2 seasons before joining us.  They finished above us Wolves Blues City and Stoke

Stockport fans not big on Megson strangely... despite the fact he finished just a couple points outside the playoffs the credit seems to go to Dave Jones.

Apparently they are hacked off because Meggo was sniffing around the Barnsley job - after 2 seasons there. The chairman found out and potted him
(03-09-2019, 01:24 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:02 PM)MancBaggie Wrote: That was the feeling pal - people were literally saying that as we entered Edgeley Park.  One punter in a queue of 100 said he would be the best thing that happened to the club. He wasn’t far wrong

Apparently they are hacked off because Meggo was sniffing around the Barnsley job - after 2 seasons there. The chairman found out and potted him

Seem to remember him leaving due to actively courting interest from elsewhere, so that would make sense.

Wanting to leave to join Barnsley would probably cause a bit of frustration!
(03-09-2019, 01:29 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 01:24 PM)MancBaggie Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:03 PM)KratosBaggie Wrote: Look at where Stockport are now! How times change.

Seem to remember him leaving due to actively courting interest from elsewhere, so that would make sense.

Wanting to leave to join Barnsley would probably cause a bit of frustration!

Aye -They had just dropped from the PL and wasted a year in the Champo!  They ended up with Bassett
So many people said he would be the end of us as a club, and we'd never see the top flight again. I was totally underwhelmed. Oh how wrong we were.
Todd was certainly in the running. In fact, he was my preferred option at the time. What an adventure we were about to embark on.
Too many fans have forgotten the days pre SGM/were too young to remember them, and now we see the horrendous, sour fans who complain about absolutely everything.

There's no joy to football any more.
(03-09-2019, 04:53 PM)AnelkasBeard Wrote: Too many fans have forgotten the days pre SGM/were too young to remember them, and now we see the horrendous, sour fans who complain about absolutely everything.  

There's no joy to football any more.

I remember those days well, I think we will be revisiting them in the not too distant future