Bond
(04-21-2019, 11:18 PM)Statto Wrote: David de Gea. That’s what happens when you let players line up their long range shots.

And not close down.
(04-22-2019, 06:28 AM)Fido Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 11:18 PM)Statto Wrote: David de Gea. That’s what happens when you let players line up their long range shots.

And not close down.

Correct. 

Good player Sigurrdsson - haunted us from his Reading days
(04-21-2019, 08:12 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote: Clearly chucking Bond in at this stage would be a massive risk but I don't care what anyone says, from his limited appearances he looks a much better keeper than Johnstone.

I can tell you that as every time he played I didn't walk out with a shit stain down the back of my kegs like I do most weeks with Johnstone between the sticks.

Hasn't Brunt been in goal for us before?

I'd play him before Sam fucking Johnstone.
(04-21-2019, 05:59 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 05:04 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: FAC Portsmouth, Wigan, Palace, Seals, Stoke & Hull made it to the final- none of which I consider to be a bigger club then us?
LC Swansea, Blackburn, Boro, Brum, have won it, not checked on runners up. Again none as big as us.
As  for having done it without funds?? Nobody has ever won anything without funds - what a stupid add on.
When I bring up 2 clubs that are a match for any team in Europe that have not been built with massive funding you say it's irrelevant.
I understand why I don't debate anything with you???  You keep moving the goal posts.
I won't mention Leicester winning the PL as that was a miracle, but it did happen.
My point was never how much money Man Citie have, it was about us giving up on the cups before we have started.

I never directly put my reply to you, it was to MT and the clue was me saying “playing Devil’s advocate”. Also the point seems to have been lost that our relative cup successes quarter final, semi final whether we have or haven’t been taken cup ties seriously over the years have been due to recieving Prem money. If we had failed to go up in that time cup success would have been even further away. Now it can be argued that we should have focused more on the cup but the rights and wrongs of that are completely subjective, what isn’t is the need to continue to bring the Prem cash in to enable us in the future to win either cup. 

The point about Ajax and Porto is irrelevant. They are the biggest clubs in their leagues, they receive the biggest sponsorship deals, they attract and develop the best players in their respective league. Why are those two clubs relevant to ourselves? Also Leicester did exceptionally well but they broken FFP rules in the Championship and were bankrolled into the Prem.

We've had this discussion before on here so I won't repeat my views but I've seen numerous posters on here agree with playing a second string against whatever opposition in the cups because it rests players for avoiding relegation or trying to get promotion.

All those posters need to take a hard look in the mirror. Given financially and football pyramid wise we've been at out zenith in recent years to have not gone all out for the cup comps is frankly incompetent. If we are unfortunate enough to have to wallow in the chump for a few years with a poorer side and smaller resources I'm sure those posters will be clamouring for a cup run to give them some hope. If they then can't see how completely illogical this is then I guess there's no hope.
(04-22-2019, 08:23 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 05:04 PM)Remi_Moses Wrote: FAC Portsmouth, Wigan, Palace, Seals, Stoke & Hull made it to the final- none of which I consider to be a bigger club then us?
LC Swansea, Blackburn, Boro, Brum, have won it, not checked on runners up. Again none as big as us.
As  for having done it without funds?? Nobody has ever won anything without funds - what a stupid add on.
When I bring up 2 clubs that are a match for any team in Europe that have not been built with massive funding you say it's irrelevant.
I understand why I don't debate anything with you???  You keep moving the goal posts.
I won't mention Leicester winning the PL as that was a miracle, but it did happen.
My point was never how much money Man Citie have, it was about us giving up on the cups before we have started.

I never directly put my reply to you, it was to MT and the clue was me saying “playing Devil’s advocate”. Also the point seems to have been lost that our relative cup successes quarter final, semi final whether we have or haven’t been taken cup ties seriously over the years have been due to recieving Prem money. If we had failed to go up in that time cup success would have been even further away. Now it can be argued that we should have focused more on the cup but the rights and wrongs of that are completely subjective, what isn’t is the need to continue to bring the Prem cash in to enable us in the future to win either cup. 

The point about Ajax and Porto is irrelevant. They are the biggest clubs in their leagues, they receive the biggest sponsorship deals, they attract and develop the best players in their respective league. Why are those two clubs relevant to ourselves? Also Leicester did exceptionally well but they broken FFP rules in the Championship and were bankrolled into the Prem.

We've had this discussion before on here so I won't repeat my views but I've seen numerous posters on here agree with playing a second string against whatever opposition in the cups because it rests players for avoiding relegation or trying to get promotion.

All those posters need to take a hard look in the mirror. Given financially and football pyramid wise we've been at out zenith in recent years to have not gone all out for the cup comps is frankly incompetent. If we are unfortunate enough to have to wallow in the chump for a few years with a poorer side and smaller resources I'm sure those posters will be clamouring for a cup run to give them some hope. If they then can't see how completely illogical this is then I guess there's no hope.

I’ll be clamouring to get promotion because our chances of winning the cup will be proportional to our success in the leagues. The two are linked.
SJ starts for me in goal, as he’s our number one! I remember England changing their goalkeeper (Carson fir James?) for a crucial qualifier at Wembley and look how that turned out!
(04-22-2019, 08:25 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:

I’ll be clamouring to get promotion because our chances of winning the cup will be proportional to our success in the leagues. The two are linked.

Agreed. But not sure why you think clamouring for promotion is mutually exclusive to clamouring for a cup run.
(04-22-2019, 08:58 AM)billybassett Wrote:

Agreed. But not sure why you think clamouring for promotion is mutually exclusive to clamouring for a cup run.

I don’t, I think it all depends on the circumstances.
(04-22-2019, 09:09 AM)Derek Hardballs Wrote:
(04-22-2019, 08:58 AM)billybassett Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 05:59 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: I never directly put my reply to you, it was to MT and the clue was me saying “playing Devil’s advocate”. Also the point seems to have been lost that our relative cup successes quarter final, semi final whether we have or haven’t been taken cup ties seriously over the years have been due to recieving Prem money. If we had failed to go up in that time cup success would have been even further away. Now it can be argued that we should have focused more on the cup but the rights and wrongs of that are completely subjective, what isn’t is the need to continue to bring the Prem cash in to enable us in the future to win either cup. 

I don’t, I think it all depends on the circumstances.

There are no circumstances in my mind fur entering a competition and then doing your utmost to reduce your chances. 

Of course if you're Liverpool you may wish to prioritise the champions League over the fa cup buy we are not in that boat so no excuse not to go for it
My proudest moment in supporting our great club, is winning the F.A. CUP and Astle scoring in every game. Unbeatable.