The cricket - - - -
(03-09-2024, 04:57 PM)pindgill Wrote:
(03-09-2024, 04:24 PM)Pragmatist Wrote: England’s record in the 15 months before Bazball - P 17. 1 win, 5 draws, 11 defeats.  Win percentage 5.9%.

With Bazball under McCullum and Stokes - Played 24.  14 wins, 1 draw, 9 defeats.  Win percentage 59%.  A ten times better win percentage!

Bazball clearly isn’t going to go away. But it does need some refinement.  It can’t be 5th gear all the time against India (especially in India) or v Australia. 4th gear and even 3rd gear is the necessary tweak I think.  Pointless is going back to traditional methods.

There are lies damn lies & statistics!!!!…those England victories were against weaker opposition & at home mostly!!.The two biggest tests series they played facts are did England win the Ashes NO did England beat India in India another big fat NO.
I guess all will be great when England smash the WIs & Sri Lanka in the summer.

Did Australia win their last series against England? No. Did they win their last series against India in India? Another no. Jeez they must be shit. Oh hang on, they’re world champions
Being brutally honest 
Right! Slept on it and come to the following:
Obviously the batsmen gave the bowlers little to defend. The wickets given away, both innings,  Pope, Duckett and Foulkes particularly. It's no disgrace to lose to a very good side away, it is to give your wicket away.

Stokes is right off. Either out of form or more likely can't play these bowlers on these (decent) wickets. Trapped on his back foot every time. Couldn't seem to pick up the ball.

We have found 2 promising spinners. Problem is, they won't get a game back at their counties because one has Leach and the other Lyons to get past.

Picking a team from the 2 sides to play in these conditions, only Root would get into it from ours. Again, that would change if it were to play in England.

Jaiswal and Jurell are stars in the making and its a pleasure to have seen them. And (sorry to annoy our Indian contributors but) I much prefer Rohit to Kohli. Superb captaincy, field placings and without all that acrimony.

Root's innings yesterday, under so much pressure, was a sight to behold. What a batsman!

Barmy Army? Where were they? Why didn't our usual following make this trip in great numbers? Instead we had a couple of thousand elderly, sedate, wealthy tourists more interested in the hospitality zones than the cricket. No ageism intended, I'm almost there meself but Christ, what an uninspiring bunch they were. Jimmy running in for his 700th wicket without an accompanying Whoahhhhh? Makes you realise how valuable they are when we don't have them.

Met quite a few Baggies over here and we were hijacked by a load of southerners to their 'local' bar last night. A proper friendly bunch of London club supporters. A few of whom actually go. All were speaking well about Albion. Our 3 degrees, the cup runs of the 60s, the (never acknowledged on here) style, and our fervent supporters. Most also thought villa are pretenders and the dings are twats. Good to leave that with you! We're off to a temple today with our new found spare time. 2100 metres. I bet I can see our house from there. Good luck Albion, I'll be sending blessings and will soon be travelling from the highest cricket ground in the world to the highest football ground in England. Peace to All.
(03-10-2024, 05:39 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Right! Slept on it and come to the following:
Obviously the batsmen gave the bowlers little to defend. The wickets given away, both innings,  Pope, Duckett and Foulkes particularly. It's no disgrace to lose to a very good side away, it is to give your wicket away.

Stokes is right off. Either out of form or more likely can't play these bowlers on these (decent) wickets. Trapped on his back foot every time. Couldn't seem to pick up the ball.

We have found 2 promising spinners. Problem is, they won't get a game back at their counties because one has Leach and the other Lyons to get past.

Picking a team from the 2 sides to play in these conditions, only Root would get into it from ours. Again, that would change if it were to play in England.

Jaiswal and Jurell are stars in the making and its a pleasure to have seen them. And (sorry to annoy our Indian contributors but) I much prefer Rohit to Kohli. Superb captaincy, field placings and without all that acrimony.

Root's innings yesterday, under so much pressure, was a sight to behold. What a batsman!

Barmy Army? Where were they? Why didn't our usual following make this trip in great numbers? Instead we had a couple of thousand elderly, sedate, wealthy tourists more interested in the hospitality zones than the cricket. No ageism intended, I'm almost there meself but Christ, what an uninspiring bunch they were. Jimmy running in for his 700th wicket without an accompanying Whoahhhhh? Makes you realise how valuable they are when we don't have them.

Met quite a few Baggies over here and we were hijacked by a load of southerners to their 'local' bar last night. A proper friendly bunch of London club supporters. A few of whom actually go. All were speaking well about Albion. Our 3 degrees, the cup runs of the 60s, the (never acknowledged on here) style, and our fervent supporters. Most also thought villa are pretenders and the dings are twats. Good to leave that with you! We're off to a temple today with our new found spare time. 2100 metres. I bet I can see our house from there. Good luck Albion, I'll be sending blessings and will soon be travelling from the highest cricket ground in the world to the highest football ground in England. Peace to All.

Great read.  Keep it coming TJ.
(03-10-2024, 07:03 AM)Brentbaggie Wrote:
(03-10-2024, 05:39 AM)Tom Joad Wrote: Right! Slept on it and come to the following:

Great read.  Keep it coming TJ.

Yes, fantastic read. Enjoy the rest of your break fella, without the unwanted distraction of the cricket  Smile