Would we be any worse off...
Darren stuck by Jones - loyalty to mates over loyalty to his bosses cost him IMO
Shan just carried on, changed obvious formation problems, picked players for correct positions and importantly made substitutions as and when required. None of which DM & GJ were capable of IMO, for whatever reason?
I'm all for giving Shan respect and credit for what he's done.
Shan deserves far more credit than he’s recieved for gaining results in difficult circumstances. It’s a shame DM didn’t address the flaws in our tactics earlier and it was a shame that those who got heavily criticised for pointing them out were in the process.
Improved:
Winning at home
Our threat from set pieces
3-5-2 looks better (based on 2 1/2 games)
Getting the best out of Gayle 
Central midfield looking better
Less messing at the back
Subs and game management.

Still doubts about:
Back to back away defeats
Conceded two or more in four of his seven games.
Untested against the top teams apart from Bristol City where we were taken apart
We've only really played "well" against Preston
(04-19-2019, 04:47 PM)Derek Hardballs Wrote: Shan deserves far more credit than he’s recieved for gaining results in difficult circumstances. It’s a shame DM didn’t address the flaws in our tactics earlier and it was a shame that those who got heavily criticised for pointing them out were in the process.

Looking at it today it's a shame BD just didn't stick with Shan as his number two after impressing at the end of last season.

Shan was shunted aside for the Greame Jones vanity project and you wonder if we wouldn't have had a more pragmatic style had we just stuck with them.

We'll never know but I honestly think we'd have been a more solid unit.
(04-19-2019, 03:22 PM)Duffers Wrote: Had we kept Moore?

No.
Clarnet v2.0
I have no idea why there's so much emphasis on the home form and yet the away form is completely disregarded. We won 9 of the last 10 away games under DM and then lost 2 in 3 under Shan. You have to take the whole picture, and the whole picture is that we were on a good run, then had 3 poor games and Moore was sacked. Some seem to think he couldn't turn it around despite the fact that we'd been on a worse run of 4 games earlier in the season and then went on an incredible run, but maybe they are right, we'll never find out.

Shan, in my opinion, has exceeded expectations massively in a difficult situation. Things are different to when Moore was here but there's still the same doubts in terms of results and the outcomes of games, and there are still legitimate concerns. Yes, our points per game is decent but look at the opposition we've faced.

In the playoffs we're relying on scoring more goals than the opposition over 2 legs. This season we've won 8 games by one goal, three of those have come under Shan while only 5 were under Moore, so there is a concern that we're scraping through to an extent. Although admittedly we did beat Swansea when Johnstone become Buffon and a Preston team with 7 first teamers out.

Does anyone think that playing as we are that we would get through a two legged playoff and then a final at Wembley against the quality of teams that we will have to face? Under Big Dave we had the potential to be horrendous but also put 4 past the best teams in the league, or beat them by 2 goals.

(04-19-2019, 04:57 PM)Artist Wrote: Improved:
Winning at home
Our threat from set pieces
3-5-2 looks better (based on 2 1/2 games)
Getting the best out of Gayle 
Central midfield looking better
Less messing at the back
Subs and game management.

Still doubts about:
Back to back away defeats
Conceded two or more in four of his seven games.
Untested against the top teams apart from Bristol City where we were taken apart
We've only really played "well" against Preston

This is pretty much a better summary
(04-19-2019, 04:30 PM)albion_pigeon Wrote:
(04-19-2019, 04:26 PM)Birdman1811 Wrote: No. Maybe if Jones was sacked and Shan promoted, but the Moore and Jones project was failing and getting worse, not better.

Spot on birdman. 

The players looked lost in that last game against ipshit.

Correct. That Ipswich performance was dire and DM wouldn't admit it either. We made them look like Barcelona.
This thread was started when we was losing I assume? Shock!

We are showing some really character lately coming behind from losing positions. We’re in good form and our best players are hitting form right at an important time.

Shans exceeding expectations, let’s get behind him.
(04-19-2019, 05:22 PM)Dumbo Wrote: This thread was started when we was losing I assume? Shock!

We are showing some really character lately coming behind from losing positions. We’re in good form and our best players are hitting form right at an important time.

Shans exceeding expectations, let’s get behind him.

It was. This board is rife with hysterical knee jerk reactions, I just wanted to fit in.
FT Albion 3 Hull City 2

And suddenly... Jimmy Shan has managed us to 5 wins from 7 played. 15 points from 21. Won all four Hawthorns matches under him.

We have also scored 3 or more goals in all 4 of those games:

3-0 Swansea
3-2 Blues
4-1 PNE
3-2 Hull

#WBA