Ratings...
Given it was only on a stream there may well be people at the game with a better view.

First half was a grind, we lacked a bit of cohesion and the early subs Reading had to make meant they didn't really get going in the first 30 or so. Annoyingly they looked there for the taking, but with Field and Harper still sussing out how to play together, Murphy sitting further forward in a more 3-4-3 formation and our wingbacks pegged back by 2 very fast Reading wide men the game petered out.

Second half was completely different. Gomes deserves credit for how he nullified our attacking threat by being brave with his fullbacks and wingers pressing on, but second half we played a lot more on the front foot. Field sat deeper keeping Barrow out of the game, and Harper became more of the link man. Had we had Gibbs and Phillips on all game I think we'd have won, but Holgate's ineffective distribution and Townsend's lack of real quality meant we lacked a cutting edge.

The introduction of Brunt and Phillips swung the game in our favour IMO... bar a couple of pen shouts on the break for Reading we looked the more likely to win, with their keeper making a couple of good late stops to keep the scores level. A draw probably fair, but on another day it could have easily gone either way.

Johnstone - 7.5 - Made a couple of very good saves and looked more assured than in recent weeks. One ropey moment early on when Bartley played him into trouble but otherwise more than capable

Townsend - 7 - 10 out of 10 for effort, but doesn't quite have the quality Gibbs does. Looks better going forward than earlier in the season however and one of many who could have scored today. 

Bartley - 7 - One of his better performances on the left. Distribution is still a real problem, but he's doing the best he can in a very unorthodox position.
Dawson - 7 - Seemed up for it again today. BUllied their young lad all game and put a few heavy challenges in. Not sure what's happened to his attacking presence... a few chances second half I'd have fancied him to bury last season.
Tosin - 6.5 - Sublime on the ball at times, but has a howler in him every game as he just switches off too often.

Holgate - 6 - Anonymous first half as Reading kept him pegged back. Delivery is still poor, Phillips has to play in that role.

Field - 8.5 - MOTM - After a wobbly first 10 he pulled all the strings until being replaced by Brunt. Adds more energy than Livermore, but doesn't quite have the final ball and vision Brunty has yet. I'd like to see him given a chance alongside Brunt.
Harper - 7 - Looked a little off the pace first half, and was let down by their overwatered pitch. Lost possession and control cheaply too many times but can make something happen. Think he's best used coming off the bench however.

Murphy - 6.5 - Another one who started slowly but came into the game second half. Seems languid but when he turns it on he can move the ball forward so quickly. Another one who needs to be on the bench.
Rodriguez - 6.5 - Could have won the game but both neither effort came off. Loads of energy, but isn't quite as clinical as Gayle. Think if Gayle had started we'd have sniffed a chance out from somewhere.
HRK - 5 - Really shouldn't be starting.... Went missing far too often today. Links up much better with Gayle than Rodriguez.

Brunt - 7 - Got things moving late on and set up a couple chances with his deliveries. 
Phillips - 7 - Getting his sharpness back... think I'd start him against Rotherham.
Gayle - Not really on long enough to judge. 

Shan - 6 - was disappointed when I saw the line-up as I felt we'd written off our chances of nicking 2nd, but with hindsight probably the right thing to give a few squad players a run out. Made positive changes to try and win the game but it wasn't to be.
(04-22-2019, 04:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Given it was only on a stream there may well be people at the game with a better view.

First half was a grind, we lacked a bit of cohesion and the early subs Reading had to make meant they didn't really get going in the first 30 or so. Annoyingly they looked there for the taking, but with Field and Harper still sussing out how to play together, Murphy sitting further forward in a more 3-4-3 formation and our wingbacks pegged back by 2 very fast Reading wide men the game petered out.

Second half was completely different. Gomes deserves credit for how he nullified our attacking threat by being brave with his fullbacks and wingers pressing on, but second half we played a lot more on the front foot. Field sat deeper keeping Barrow out of the game, and Harper became more of the link man. Had we had Gibbs and Phillips on all game I think we'd have won, but Holgate's ineffective distribution and Townsend's lack of real quality meant we lacked a cutting edge.

The introduction of Brunt and Phillips swung the game in our favour IMO... bar a couple of pen shouts on the break for Reading we looked the more likely to win, with their keeper making a couple of good late stops to keep the scores level. A draw probably fair, but on another day it could have easily gone either way.

Johnstone - 7.5 - Made a couple of very good saves and looked more assured than in recent weeks. One ropey moment early on when Bartley played him into trouble but otherwise more than capable

Townsend - 7 - 10 out of 10 for effort, but doesn't quite have the quality Gibbs does. Looks better going forward than earlier in the season however and one of many who could have scored today. 

Bartley - 7 - One of his better performances on the left. Distribution is still a real problem, but he's doing the best he can in a very unorthodox position.
Dawson - 7 - Seemed up for it again today. BUllied their young lad all game and put a few heavy challenges in. Not sure what's happened to his attacking presence... a few chances second half I'd have fancied him to bury last season.
Tosin - 6.5 - Sublime on the ball at times, but has a howler in him every game as he just switches off too often.

Holgate - 6 - Anonymous first half as Reading kept him pegged back. Delivery is still poor, Phillips has to play in that role.

Field - 8.5 - MOTM - After a wobbly first 10 he pulled all the strings until being replaced by Brunt. Adds more energy than Livermore, but doesn't quite have the final ball and vision Brunty has yet. I'd like to see him given a chance alongside Brunt.
Harper - 7 - Looked a little off the pace first half, and was let down by their overwatered pitch. Lost possession and control cheaply too many times but can make something happen. Think he's best used coming off the bench however.

Murphy - 6.5 - Another one who started slowly but came into the game second half. Seems languid but when he turns it on he can move the ball forward so quickly. Another one who needs to be on the bench.
Rodriguez - 6.5 - Could have won the game but both neither effort came off. Loads of energy, but isn't quite as clinical as Gayle. Think if Gayle had started we'd have sniffed a chance out from somewhere.
HRK - 5 - Really shouldn't be starting.... Went missing far too often today. Links up much better with Gayle than Rodriguez.

Brunt - 7 - Got things moving late on and set up a couple chances with his deliveries. 
Phillips - 7 - Getting his sharpness back... think I'd start him against Rotherham.

Shan - 6 - was disappointed when I saw the line-up as I felt we'd written off our chances of nicking 2nd, but with hindsight probably the right thing to give a few squad players a run out. Made positive changes to try and win the game but it wasn't to be.

Murphy not worth more than a 4. Woeful.
(04-22-2019, 04:18 PM)SW4Baggie Wrote: Given it was only on a stream there may well be people at the game with a better view.

6.5 for Tosin extremely generous.  In the second half he kept giving the call away and getting caught in possessions.
Just got back to the car and you've saved me a job the SW4. Agree with pretty much all of that. Thought Daws was a 6 at best mind. His passing was woeful today. Especially first half.

Btw the support today was brilliant. Full to bursting and really loud.

You could tell Reading really needed something today and after a stop start first half I though we looked much better second half as we shifted shape and Jrod played in the 10 role for a bit behind Hal and Murphy.

Harper was unlucky with a great effort but we have them chances. SJ pulled off a great save from a free kick and they had other efforts which they managed to aim straight at Johnstone. It also looked very much like a peno to them for an off the ball incident but I've not seen a replay.

We were again unlucky at the end through Jrod but alas another fucking game at the shitty Mad Stad without a win for me. I've fucking lost count.

Reading celebrated at the end like they'd won the world cup.

A tough game today with a much changed team and a decent enough performance.

On we go.
How is Harper a 7?
Always said kudos to those who have the time/patience to do a write up/ratings. However, the only way HRK, Tosin and Murphy would have got above a 4 from yesterday's game is if they rated themselves. Garbage, the lot of them.