Advice required please
(04-25-2019, 06:31 PM)Swagbaggie Wrote: I am fairly sure that if the leak is within your boundary it is the responsibility of the home owner.

This is correct.

However, the boundary that the water board work to isn't necessarily the land boundary and is usually somewhere in between the main house stop cock and the outer stop cock (which is usually where they fit a meter).
(04-25-2019, 07:37 PM)Kit Kat Chunky Wrote: If you have exchanged, then you put the purchaser on notice if they fail to complete. You then sue them for breach of contract if they don't complete 14 days after notice 

It is up to the purchaser to satisfy themselves on the property. A survey wouldn't pick this up, but if it did, it would be yo advise them and their funder, not you.

What is to stop you just paying the water bill - which you will have to do anyway, and moving out? I know it is underhand but the first they will know is on their initial bill.

We’ve already notified the buyers as we didn’t want to do anything underhand. I just need to know if the problem is theirs, as the problem was discovered after contracts were exchanged, or if we are liable? I am sure the fault is on our property, so someone other than the Water Company will have to pick up the tab. The Water Company cannot send anyone out to have a look until after we’ve moved. They’ve also promised to only bill us for average use, as there is obviously a leak. Just do not want to be lumbered with a bill for thousands if there is anyway we can get round it.
My understanding is they are contracted, so they have to buy, but will only be liable for property obligations from the date the contract is completed, I.e  the date they buy the property.

The contract will cover in detail what they are liable for, so I would be talking to my solicitor. They possibly have grounds to cancel the contract if they do not want the hastle of the repair, depending on the clauses and undertakings in the contract.

I would be starting with my lawyer.
Where’s the homeserve house when you need him!?!